New Lighting?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As we approach the end of the first quarter, many spoke at the beginning of the year about changing their lighting as a goal for 2024.

How many have acquired new lighting and what kind/brand did you get?
What do you like and dislike about the new light(s)?
What have these new lights provided for your tank and corals?

I added two Orphek Icon units and a huge difference from the Atlantiks

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a pond and went with the ai blades. While they are nice lights I'm starting to question whether it was the right choice, purely from a cost point lol. While I love the fact it's quote brs *horizon to horizon lighting* I have 14x 39" grows at the moment and as you can see I need like atleast 4 more. As the back of the pond is too dark. So it's becoming expensive lol
1000019908.jpg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Changed from the Reefbreeders Nano LED to a pair of 12in AI Blades (glow and grow). Happy with the upgrade, gained more coverage while utilizing less electricity. I wish the blades had some reds and greens like the primes do but you can't have it all. I am currently considering upgrading my tank to a 20 long and wondering if I'll need to pick up a third blade..

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some T5 lights in an aquatic life hybrid fixture.

It's only been a couple weeks, but the corals seem to be opening up a little more than before. Still hard to tell this early as Im slowly increasing yime the T5s are on each week.

I like the bigger blanket of light and the muted, but still shimmering appearance from the setup

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a pond and went with the ai blades. While they are nice lights I'm starting to question whether it was the right choice, purely from a cost point lol. While I love the fact it's quote brs *horizon to horizon lighting* I have 14x 39" grows at the moment and as you can see I need like atleast 4 more. As the back of the pond is too dark. So it's becoming expensive lol
1000019908.jpg
How did you come up with that spacing?
39" bars are 80 watts each and 95 degree lenses.. 1120 total Watts for 14 bars.
At 8" off the water and 95 degrees you get a center to center measurement of 17.5"
At 1 ft off the water you can do 26" center to center for a pretty decent "horizon to horizon coverage.
Also best o not do "even" spacing. You just get a center hot spot.

Higher you raise them the wider they can be spaced. Though you need to keep your intensity goals in mind.

What is the depth dimension of that tank? Ever measure the par at the floor?
Think this is correct-ish:
6.5ft x 6.5ft x 2.5ft (with a low fill level of about 1.5ft?)
480 gallons approx.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you come up with that spacing?
39" bars are 80 watts each and 95 degree lenses.. 1120 total Watts for 14 bars.
At 8" off the water and 95 degrees you get a center to center measurement of 17.5"
At 1 ft off the water you can do 26" center to center for a pretty decent "horizon to horizon coverage.
Also best o not do "even" spacing. You just get a center hot spot.

Higher you raise them the wider they can be spaced. Though you need to keep your intensity goals in mind.

What is the depth dimension of that tank? Ever measure the par at the floor?
Think this is correct-ish:
6.5ft x 6.5ft x 2.5ft (with a low fill level of about 1.5ft?)
480 gallons approx
Tbh spacing wise I just decided to put them as close together as possible taking in to account the recommenations ive seen for the lights, for sps corals.
I actually measured it properly yesterday to estimate actual volume. It's 182 cm x 183cm x 72cm water level, 2400L.
I don't really have to much of a choice on hanging height at this point in time as they rest on the tank.
I haven't tested the par yet, although it's on my to do list.
Do you think then I can space them out a bit more?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As we approach the end of the first quarter, many spoke at the beginning of the year about changing their lighting as a goal for 2024.

How many have acquired new lighting and what kind/brand did you get?
What do you like and dislike about the new light(s)?
What have these new lights provided for your tank and corals?

I added two Orphek Icon units and a huge difference from the Atlantiks
I’m thinking of purchasing a Orphek Icon for a new tank upgrade. Pros/cons? It will be wall to wall Sps. Do they ever go on sale? Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m thinking of purchasing a Orphek Icon for a new tank upgrade. Pros/cons? It will be wall to wall Sps. Do they ever go on sale? Thanks for your input!
They were on sale throughout January and February and offers extra pop, seems like slightly lower power consumption and a nicer spread while utilizing the the newer 5wt diodes

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh spacing wise I just decided to put them as close together as possible taking in to account the recommenations ive seen for the lights, for sps corals.
I actually measured it properly yesterday to estimate actual volume. It's 182 cm x 183cm x 72cm water level, 2400L.
I don't really have to much of a choice on hanging height at this point in time as they rest on the tank.
I haven't tested the par yet, although it's on my to do list.
Do you think then I can space them out a bit more?
Lets just put it this way.. "I" think you can optimize the light spread better.

pondtank.JPG

Attachments

• pondtank.JPG
    pondtank.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 14

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI prime on my biocube right now. keeps going out and back on. Need a new light. Anyone have a suggestion?? My coral frags seem to really like the AI (had them a week or so now!) but with the issues with the light Im not too keen on getting another AI

Last edited:

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah with 4 mh pendants hanging from the ceiling so he can acsess the tank easily :zany-face:
To be honest even with hanging lights it'd be difficult to access. There is no "easy" way unfortunately. I'm going to have to go for a swim whichever way the lights are arranged, if I want to attach coral to the rocks lol. Although I have looked in to mh just not many options in the UK.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an AI prime 16hd coming tomorrow for my nano... I have heard very mixed reviews, so we will see how it goes...
I prefer the Ai Hydra 26 or 32 but this light too is a great performer especially with nano

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back