New member, new tank, no experience

myinvalidname

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work well with blunt So I can probably hold
Off on the additives. How about time to add some corals?
If you’re cycled and the system, ie your chemistry and biology, has been stable for weeks then go for it. Go slow. It’s just as easy to learn from mistakes at 50$ a mistake as it is at 500$ a mistake. And it’s cheaper that way.

OP
OP
cemmerts

cemmerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re cycled and the system, ie your chemistry and biology, has been stable for weeks then go for it. Go slow. It’s just as easy to learn from mistakes at 50$ a mistake as it is at 500$ a mistake. And it’s cheaper that way.

Cool, maybe I’ll go to the LFS today and get a zoa. The parameters have been super stable, I think. They don’t seem to fluctuate much at all.

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can give someone new is spend the money once. A lot of people enter the hobby using incorrect equipment and when problems happen it greatly frustrates them and they end up quitting.

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you need more liverock for a 40 gallon tank. Fish use them to hide, you will put some corals on them, and it is also filtration for your tank. General rule of thumb is a pound per gallon. I have a 32 Gallon tank and 20 pounds of liverock and am going to add 10 pounds here soon. Also, most LFS sell RODI water relatively inexpensive. For the love of all that is holy, USE THAT WATER. Your water quality will be more stable and manageable and the water is not adding any unnecessary elements to the tank.

Cant wait to watch your tank flourish!

We are going to be moving in approximately 3 years and are waiting until then to change our 75 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater simply because of moving stresses that come with fish tanks in general. Our freshwater cichlid tank is mostly self sufficient and the fish are resilient, unlike salwater systems. Good luck moving!

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add, awesome tank placement! I am so fascinated as to where people place their tanks. This may be a dumb question, but, how do you get inside the tank with it so close to the cabinets at the top?

OP
OP
cemmerts

cemmerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add, awesome tank placement! I am so fascinated as to where people place their tanks. This may be a dumb question, but, how do you get inside the tank with it so close to the cabinets at the top?

thanks! Placement was a tough decision as there is very little room to work, but it is in a prime social location. I had to cut out some Sheetrock in the pantry to get access to the back of the tank. Even with the hole in the wall, it’s still tight. I’ve ran into several obstacles due to placement, but I wouldn’t change it for anything. One thing that I do plan to move though, is the sump. I’m taking it down to the basement, directly below the tank and I will have a big area of unfinished space to get things In order.

picked up a zoa and an acan.

I don’t have a camera filter yet, so the pictures are just regular camera and light.

10842475-A02C-4DE9-8FDF-CB09E4B0F5DB.jpeg 45137B0E-9621-43F9-B65A-DF69763474C6.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back