New member ! Starting a new tank after a very bad velvet outbreak...

sck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My name is Samuel and I am from Quebec (french part of Canada), and I just subscribed to R2R. I've been reading you guys for a long time, but I just decided it was time for me to be part of your nice community !

Long story short, I've been in the marine aquarium hobby for more than a decade and I'm running a 125 gallons tank with some beautiful fish, some soft corals and a BTA. Well, I was running... because I just lost all my fish (excluding an immortal marine betta, which I now call John Wick) to a very nasty velvet outbreak following the BTA-on-a-rock add-on. So I decided to move the betta into a quarantine tank (which will be done in the next days) and sell the 125 gallons tank.

I just bought a Waterbox Marine-X 90.3 gen1 (I had an excellent deal on this one). I will keep the marine betta and put him in the new aquarium after a month of CopperPower treatment. 75 lbs of live rock are now in a 20-gallon fishless bucket for 45 days to make sure the parasites won't survive (I read a lot about the 45 vs 76 days fallow period and I decided that 45 days were good enough).

Lesson learned : everything that will go in the new tank will be quarantined, including corals and inverts.

I will start a new thread regarding the stocking list I'm planning for this new project, your inputs will be of great value for me !

Thanks to all and happy reefing !

Sam

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back