New Ostracion Solorense - white spots

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello,

I just added an Ostracion solorense into my tank, and..... withou surprise, after 24h it was covered with white dots.

The first hours it was swimming arround, looking totally fine. But the next evening it was full of white dots. It is hidding under some rock, look like more agited (moving way more the fins) and probably breathing more rapidly and not eating...

I tried the fresh water dip yesterday and started to dose PolypLab into the tank. For the moment no improvement.

I dont know what i could, maybe just wait few days ? Or should i put him in a QT tank ? Or something else ?

Thank's for any help.

20240506_191458.jpg 20240506_191524.jpg 20240506_191526.jpg

20240506_191527.jpg 20240506_191529.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please repost in white lighting? Helps to ensure proper diagnosis. Do you already have a QT set up?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a quarantine tank set up? Looks to be ich spots possibly. How many other fish are in the tank?
Would definitely get all fish to qt asap.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with a copper based treatment per protocol in a QT tank. Additionally, any other fish you have should be treated similarly. it looks like Ich to me. There are some other options depending on what's in the rest of your tank (i.e. hyposalinity, etc. Agree Polyplab is not likely to help this level of disease.

OP
OP
C

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for all the answers. The aquarium is pretty empty at the moment, i only had 6 fishes before, 2 clowns, 1 vulpinus, 1 cardinal, 2 madarins and 1 Nemateleotris added at the same time as the Otracion.

I can setup a small QT tank, i have some 40L/25L tanks, and some spare stuff (heater, pumps...)

I read a lot about the copper, but i dont know where to find it (I'm from switzerland), i tried to search on my LFS + google without success, or i dont look for the right things.

I'm pretty sure it's ich too, but i will try to make take more picture.

And one more thing, i wonder, how the fish can be covered so much so fast ? (less than 24h)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This guy has much and will need to be treated in separat
Hello hello,

I just added an Ostracion solorense into my tank, and..... withou surprise, after 24h it was covered with white dots.

The first hours it was swimming arround, looking totally fine. But the next evening it was full of white dots. It is hidding under some rock, look like more agited (moving way more the fins) and probably breathing more rapidly and not eating...

I tried the fresh water dip yesterday and started to dose PolypLab into the tank. For the moment no improvement.

I dont know what i could, maybe just wait few days ? Or should i put him in a QT tank ? Or something else ?

Thank's for any help.

20240506_191458.jpg 20240506_191524.jpg 20240506_191526.jpg

20240506_191527.jpg 20240506_191529.jpg

This guy has ich and will need to be treated in a separate quarantine tank with coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days monitored with Hanna brand copper test kit and other fish likely exposed also treated
Leave tank fishless for 5/8 weeks
Coral and inverts can remain in display tank

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for all the answers. The aquarium is pretty empty at the moment, i only had 6 fishes before, 2 clowns, 1 vulpinus, 1 cardinal, 2 madarins and 1 Nemateleotris added at the same time as the Otracion.

I can setup a small QT tank, i have some 40L/25L tanks, and some spare stuff (heater, pumps...)

I read a lot about the copper, but i dont know where to find it (I'm from switzerland), i tried to search on my LFS + google without success, or i dont look for the right things.

I'm pretty sure it's ich too, but i will try to make take more picture.

And one more thing, i wonder, how the fish can be covered so much so fast ? (less than 24h)
Sometimes it starts so small you just won’t notice before it shows up - being a new addition doesn’t help either. Some did are also more sensitive than others.
If you can’t get copper, hyposalinity is a treatment option as well.

OP
OP
C

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for the answers. I will try to find some copper stuff. I could have this : SEACHEM - Cupramine but it will take 1 week.

But, the Otracion can handle the copper ? I think i read something telling they couldn't be treated with copper.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for the answers. I will try to find some copper stuff. I could have this : SEACHEM - Cupramine but it will take 1 week.

But, the Otracion can handle the copper ? I think i read something telling they couldn't be treated with copper.
Certain types of copper are not good for certain fish. That's why I think coppersafe was recommended in this case.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use cupramine with puffers and relatives (boxfish). It’s too harsh of a medicine.
Coppersafe and copper power are both types of chelated copper which are safer for the fish and can be used with more sensitive fish.

OP
OP
C

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ok thank you, i see. Maybe i can order some "Fritz coppersafe" is it the right thing ? But it will take 1 week to be there.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ok thank you, i see. Maybe i can order some "Fritz coppersafe" is it the right thing ? But it will take 1 week to be there.
Also will need an accurate way to test. Hanna is the highest recommended.

Here are the recommended procedures for your situation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do you have any invertebrates in your tank? If not you could do hypo salinity. You could also do a TTM-type treatment if you have more than one tank. (Tank Transfer Method) - as others have said - following any treatment - your display tank needs to be fallow for 6-8 weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - based on the stage of the ich infection, I don't think your boxfish will survive a week until you can get coppersafe. Besides, all exposed fish are going to need to be treated. Are there invertebrates in the tank? If not, or if you can move them out, you could run hyposalinity:

OP
OP
C

CmtCousteau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have few corals in the tank (non of them are glued ) and have like 5 snails and 1 schrimp, that's all.

I can put in place the TTM too.

I have a question, what's the difference between coppersafe and curpamine ? They are both some copper liquid solution ? Or there is more into the bottle ? I'm asking, because it could be much easier for me to get cupramine. And if they both add copper, i couldn't just reach the 2.25ppm in the QT tank ?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have few corals in the tank (non of them are glued ) and have like 5 snails and 1 schrimp, that's all.

I can put in place the TTM too.

I have a question, what's the difference between coppersafe and curpamine ? They are both some copper liquid solution ? Or there is more into the bottle ? I'm asking, because it could be much easier for me to get cupramine. And if they both add copper, i couldn't just reach the 2.25ppm in the QT tank ?
Cupramine is not chelated copper and is much harder on the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be possible to use raw copper sulfate ?

That is even more toxic to the fish than Cupramine is, it is also unstable in the water, requiring testing and redosing multiple times a day.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back