New pistol shrimp

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, So I bit the bullet (pun intended) and got a Randall's pistol shrimp. It will be delivered Tuesday. I do know that Reef Cleaners send acclimation procedures for all of it's inverts. I just wanted to see what people on here have done as far as acclimation of pistol shrimp in the past. When I got my skunk cleaner shrimp I treated it just like fish. I temp and salinity match by doing 1/2 cup additions of tank water every 15 minutes after 3 I take shrimp/fish out of bag without any bag water and put it in tank. I just do not know if there is anything special I should for a pistol. I have never had one before.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is anything special. I would say drip acclimation is better, but because you are getting it shipped in I am not sure. Have fun!
Thank you, I am really looking forward to it. I have been back and forth in my head about getting one many, many times.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I am really looking forward to it. I have been back and forth in my head about getting one many, many times.
Do you have a goby for it? It's a really cool relationship to watch!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a goby for it? It's a really cool relationship to watch!
SO, I have 2 goby's, a diamond, and a very tiny yellow watchman. They both share a burrow that the diamond keeps up with. I went for the Randall's pistol for a few reasons, it's size being one of them. My diamond kind of bully's the watchman when it comes to food, so I am hoping that the pistol and the watchman will find / like each other and get the watchman away from the diamond. I do like the "friendship" the 2 goby's have formed, but I feel like the watchman is way too intimated by the diamond when it comes to food, so it just lives at the burrow entrance.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, So I bit the bullet (pun intended) and got a Randall's pistol shrimp. It will be delivered Tuesday. I do know that Reef Cleaners send acclimation procedures for all of it's inverts. I just wanted to see what people on here have done as far as acclimation of pistol shrimp in the past. When I got my skunk cleaner shrimp I treated it just like fish. I temp and salinity match by doing 1/2 cup additions of tank water every 15 minutes after 3 I take shrimp/fish out of bag without any bag water and put it in tank. I just do not know if there is anything special I should for a pistol. I have never had one before.
One thing I was not aware of and told by one of my dealers. Shrimp cannot withstand medication. Only know what I was told who was a single owner of a coral shop

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I was not aware of and told by one of my dealers. Shrimp cannot withstand medication. Only know what I was told who was a single owner of a coral shop
Yes - this is true. Most fish medications will kill inverts.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pretty much all inverts have an issue with medications. It depends on what you are treating for though. Absolutely no copper in a main tank that has, or will ever have inverts it is. This is why they say to have a hospital / QT tank. Inverts are very sensitive

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning all, So I bit the bullet (pun intended) and got a Randall's pistol shrimp. It will be delivered Tuesday. I do know that Reef Cleaners send acclimation procedures for all of its inverts. I just wanted to see what people on here have done as far as acclimation of pistol shrimp in the past. When I got my skunk cleaner shrimp I treated it just like fish. I temp and salinity match by doing 1/2 cup additions of tank water every 15 minutes after 3 I take shrimp/fish out of bag without any bag water and put it in tank. I just do not know if there is anything special I should for a pistol. I have never had one before.
Yep just acclimate like normal like you stated and it’s good to go! Nothing special needed, you can try and place it with a net on the side your gobies cave is and hope you get lucky! When I first got mine, I was concerned it wasn’t getting any food so I would place some special for it at the opening I saw it go into. That lasted a few weeks before letting it fend for itself, been doing good for about a year now but rarely seen. Good luck and congrats on the new addition!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep just acclimate like normal like you stated and it’s good to go! Nothing special needed, you can try and place it with a net on the side your gobies cave is and hope you get lucky! When I first got mine, I was concerned it wasn’t getting any food so I would place some special for it at the opening I saw it go into. That lasted a few weeks before letting it fend for itself, been doing good for about a year now but rarely seen. Good luck and congrats on the new addition!
Thank you! Is your also a Randall’s or a different one?

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Is your also a Randall’s or a different one?
Mine I believe is a Tiger. I was told by the LFS trying to sell me a Randalls recently that they don’t burrow as much or move as much sand as my current tiger. Mine will move a good portion of sand around its home. That’s a plus for you and they’re prettier!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine I believe is a Tiger. I was told by the LFS trying to sell me a Randalls recently that they don’t burrow as much or move as much sand as my current tiger. Mine will move a good portion of sand around its home. That’s a plus for you and they’re prettier!
Ha ha I opted for the Randall’s because I have read that tigers can really get the sand bed stirred up like crazy

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so I hope I am not making everyone crazy with my pistol shrimp questions here. But I do have one more. So as I mentioned earlier my tiny yellow watchman goby share a burrow with a MUCH bigger diamond goby. I have always read that you should put this new pistol near the goby's burrow so they have a better / quicker chance of finding each other. Well I am curious how this will go with the fact that it "technically" the diamond bogy's burrow, he just allows the watchman to share it. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appriciated. Should I just put the pistol in the tank away from their burrow? Or put it in close and see what happens? I don't want any of them getting hurt over territory, if possible. If I put the pistol on the other side of the 90 gallon tank, will he and the watchman find each other? The watchman RARELY leaves the burrow. These are the current thoughts keeping me up at night. :confused-face: :smirking-face::confounded-face:

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just my thoughts as I am a rookie, far from a trusted source! The pistol is going to go where it wants, you can only encourage the direction when you drop it in. My experience was as soon as I dropped it in, darted for the first cover if found and has stayed there ever since. I have shifted the rock a bunch and it always stays in that area. Thinking out loud but you could try and block the burrow openings after both fish have left with a small rock if even possible and see how both fish respond. Might cause them to split up making it easier to introduce the pistol closer to the watchman. No clue if that works but could be worth a try/or a horrible idea :zany-face: :upside-down-face:.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I received my new Randall's Pistol shrimp today, and I have a question. He seems very healthy and getting around the tank well, but it looks as though he molted during the shipping process. I have already written to Reef Cleaners about this, but I value the opinions of folks on here as well. I guess due to the molt, and shipping, he seems to have lost both claws ( i could see them in the shipping bag along with his shell) Will he be able to eat?survive until new claws grow back? Will new claws grow back? How long will it take?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_6794.jpeg
    IMG_6794.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 16

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back