New pistol shrimp

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes thats really interesting. Did find a few articles about them, seems like its something that can happen and will regrow. Looks beautiful by the way!!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes thats really interesting. Did find a few articles about them, seems like its something that can happen and will regrow. Looks beautiful by the way!!

Awesome, thank you, he is a cute little thing! He seems to get around the tank just fine. I was just concerned that he be unable to eat with neither of his claws to use.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I received my new Randall's Pistol shrimp today, and I have a question. He seems very healthy and getting around the tank well, but it looks as though he molted during the shipping process. I have already written to Reef Cleaners about this, but I value the opinions of folks on here as well. I guess due to the molt, and shipping, he seems to have lost both claws ( i could see them in the shipping bag along with his shell) Will he be able to eat?survive until new claws grow back? Will new claws grow back? How long will it take?
Don't know but lobsters do the same thing don't forget its very vulnerable right now to hungry fish. Any way google lobster life cycle might calm you

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know but lobsters do the same thing don't forget its very vulnerable right now to hungry fish. Any way google lobster life cycle might calm you
Yeah I do know that :confused-face: Thank goodness I do keep my tank pretty well fed. I hope he stay safe.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He will probably be ok. It might actually make him more likely to pair up with your fish. Only time will tell.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will probably be ok. It might actually make him more likely to pair up with your fish. Only time will tell.
Thank you! My 2 biggest concerns are that he is able to eat with no claws, and that he is able to hide until he has his shell back in tact from the molt.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back