New protein skimmer constantly overflowing with bubbles

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - just got my protein skimmer up and running, its a Reef Octopus - Classic 150-INT.

This thing is bubbling over like crazy! Immediately right when I turn it on bubbles overflowing everywhere. Even when I unplug the collection cup drain, the bubbles are still overflowing. Lots and lots of bubbles overflowing into the sump. Water level in the sump is 8 inches, right in-between the manufacturers recommendations.

Just turned it on today, I read in some other threads its best to keep the skimmer running for a little bit to work itself out, I know its only been a day, but this thing is pouring out bubbles like crazy. I must be doing something wrong here. Will try to upload a picture soon too.

Has anyone else experienced this?

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I've tried raising the skimmer up about 3 inches on a makeshift platform, still bubbles overflowing either way.y

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer needs to be broken in. It can take some time but it will only happen if you leave it running. Eventually it will build up enough viscosity to skim properly. Just give it time.

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks. The instruction manuals for these things are awful. Doesn't give any guidelines about break in time at all.

Ryan420r6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just broke mine in a few months ago. Close the gate valve (red knob) all the way to reduce skimming and slowly open it up as the skimmer breaks in (I had stay on top of mine for a few days) and then small tweaks for a few weeks after. The gate valve is very sensitive but doesn't give you an immediate response when you turn the wheel so go slow and wait a few minutes for a response. You will eventually find the sweet spot.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to there web forum everything you need to know can be found and answerd there.also keep the hole in the side of cup open and remove any foam in the chamber that reduces bubbles its a waste of time

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just broke mine in a few months ago. Close the gate valve (red knob) all the way to reduce skimming and slowly open it up as the skimmer breaks in (I had stay on top of mine for a few days) and then small tweaks for a few weeks after. The gate valve is very sensitive but doesn't give you an immediate response when you turn the wheel so go slow and wait a few minutes for a response. You will eventually find the sweet spot.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that over these next couple of days to see if it helps speed the process up

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) a new tank will naturally foam more. It will settle down.
2) the adjustment is either a valve or twisting action of the tube which some have to control flow. If u are foaming a lot, make sure the device is set for least restriction.
3) temporarily set something below your skimmer to raise it up.
4) can u adjust your sump water height? You could lower it instead of raising pump, or do both..

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adjust your red gate valve to open it up more, the water level should drop inside the reaction chamber lowering the level of the bubbles.

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - I appreciate all the help. I've had the protein skimmer since Aug 3 and it is the 14th now. Still the same result bubbling over. I've done multiple water changes in the sump since then, where the water level is really raised and lowered. Same thing at both ends of the water level. No matter where the water level is, still is overflowing like crazy. I've also built makeshift stands for it at different heights and ran it for a few hours - no luck, still overflowing.

Still normal??

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all - just got my protein skimmer up and running, its a Reef Octopus - Classic 150-INT.

This thing is bubbling over like crazy! Immediately right when I turn it on bubbles overflowing everywhere. Even when I unplug the collection cup drain, the bubbles are still overflowing. Lots and lots of bubbles overflowing into the sump. Water level in the sump is 8 inches, right in-between the manufacturers recommendations.

Just turned it on today, I read in some other threads its best to keep the skimmer running for a little bit to work itself out, I know its only been a day, but this thing is pouring out bubbles like crazy. I must be doing something wrong here. Will try to upload a picture soon too.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Haha give it some time to break it. Also let the bubble line start right before the collection cup.

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - I appreciate all the help. I've had the protein skimmer since Aug 3 and it is the 14th now. Still the same result bubbling over. I've done multiple water changes in the sump since then, where the water level is really raised and lowered. Same thing at both ends of the water level. No matter where the water level is, still is overflowing like crazy. I've also built makeshift stands for it at different heights and ran it for a few hours - no luck, still overflowing.

Still normal??

Yep, because of manufacturing processes, the skimmer will have "chemicals/oils/coatings/etc" that need to be broken down over time so that the skimmer can function as intended. You can run it in some vinegar+water solution for an hour to break it in faster. Id give it a couple more weeks to see the bubbles settle down.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me forever to get my vertex broke in. They suggest removing the cup and closing the outlet and just letting it overflow in the sump for 24 hours to break in. Also, I don't know about the reef octopus, but vertex omegas you MUST have a stable water level, no fluctuating.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you get tired of waiting for it to break in, you can install a valve on the air intake and choke it down some to get it skimming, then remove the valve once its broke in.

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you get tired of waiting for it to break in, you can install a valve on the air intake and choke it down some to get it skimming, then remove the valve once its broke in.
Thanks Lou - I'm going to give that a try. I know patience is the best thing in this hobby... but I can't help myself - I want this skimmer working! I'll get an air intake valve on my way home from work and see how it does.

Also, I just took a look at your reef build thread. Your tank is amazing! Really enjoyed going through that whole thread. Hope I can get to your level one day!

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, because of manufacturing processes, the skimmer will have "chemicals/oils/coatings/etc" that need to be broken down over time so that the skimmer can function as intended. You can run it in some vinegar+water solution for an hour to break it in faster. Id give it a couple more weeks to see the bubbles settle down.
Thanks for the advice - I'm going to try to put an air valve on it to try to get it skimming - if that doesn't work I'll do the vinegar. Would you recommend a 1-1 ratio with vinegar and water? And do you just let the skimmer soak in it? Or do you actually run the skimmer with the vinegar water?

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou - I'm going to give that a try. I know patience is the best thing in this hobby... but I can't help myself - I want this skimmer working! I'll get an air intake valve on my way home from work and see how it does.

Also, I just took a look at your reef build thread. Your tank is amazing! Really enjoyed going through that whole thread. Hope I can get to your level one day!
Your welcome, glad I could help. And thankyou for the kind words and checking out my build thread.

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice - I'm going to try to put an air valve on it to try to get it skimming - if that doesn't work I'll do the vinegar. Would you recommend a 1-1 ratio with vinegar and water? And do you just let the skimmer soak in it? Or do you actually run the skimmer with the vinegar water?

A 1-10 ratio of white vinegar to water should be fine. You can just put the skimmer in a bucket, let it run for an hour with the vinegar solution. If nothing else works, patience will be your best friend. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - just wanted to update anyone who might read this thread.

I tried the air valve method, but couldn't find the proper air valve at any of my hardware stores that would fit what I needed. So I ran a little piece of airline tubing off of my air intake, then put a tiny ball valve on it, hoping to limit the air intake. Well, ball valves aren't air tight... so regardless if I had the ball valve completely closed, air was still getting in.

Next step was to soak it in vinegar and run it - I ran it in vinegar for about 2 hours and put it back in the sump, and no luck either.

I emailed the team at coralvue and they informed me it was most likely due to my tank being new (recently cycled about 2 weeks ago). They said it was because I still had some bacteria building up (recently went through the diatom bloom) - and recommended that I do a 50% water change to see if that fixed it. Even though my ammonium and nitrites/nitrates were at 0, I guess I didn't expect other bacteria to be causing the skimmer to overflow. Sure enough, when I did a big water change and swapped out the filter socks the protein skimmer is running like a charm.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note... if you used a lot of epoxy for your rockwork or added frags recently and used epoxy that will always tend to make a go nuts.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back