New Redsea Reefer XL 525 108 Gallon Setup and Updates

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but the HMS mounts have that mounting bolt that sticks out too far.
Just a suggestion you could alway DIY shorter screws.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I plan on following the ZeoVit to the T. I have heard great things. Your link is very detailed and will be very helpful.

Good question on the plumbing, that's because I was typing too fast and didn't proof read. LOL. The plumbing is 3/4", I corrected it above. Thank you!

After the tank cycles (14 days) what is the base Zeovit program schedule? Where does ZEOfood 7 come into play?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 day cycle, then I would follow the recommendations in the ZeoGuide (where it says "Subsequently") (found here)

ZeoBak

Bak.PNG

ZeoStart:

start.PNG

SpongePower: Per the directions on the bottle.

Here's my schedule, if that helps:
Every day: 1mL ZeoStart, 8 drops of SpongePower, Pump reactor 8-13 times
Twice a week (Wed & Sun): As above, and 8 drops of ZeoBak
Once a week (Sun): 10-20% water change
Once a month: Change Carbon
Every 6-8 weeks: Change ZeoLites (I think the first change is at week4, then every 6-8 after that)

There's lots of other products you can use, but I havent found it necessary to do so. Your tank will obviously be different :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 day cycle, then I would follow the recommendations in the ZeoGuide (where it says "Subsequently") (found here)

ZeoBak

Bak.PNG

ZeoStart:

start.PNG

SpongePower: Per the directions on the bottle.

Here's my schedule, if that helps:
Every day: 1mL ZeoStart, 8 drops of SpongePower, Pump reactor 8-13 times
Twice a week (Wed & Sun): As above, and 8 drops of ZeoBak
Once a week (Sun): 10-20% water change
Once a month: Change Carbon
Every 6-8 weeks: Change ZeoLites (I think the first change is at week4, then every 6-8 after that)

There's lots of other products you can use, but I havent found it necessary to do so. Your tank will obviously be different :)

Thanks for the help. Just getting a little overwhelmed, with information overload.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem... there isnt a lot of literature out there, and it feels like new people are kinda left out to blaze their own trail. I dont know that how I did it is the "right"way, but it worked. :D Follow the 14 day guide until you're done with it, then fall back to what the guide says (which is similar to the directions on each of the bottles) and just run with it. You can use ZeoFood, but its largely been replaced by SpongePower. I still have the original bottle of ZeoFood I got with the bundle last year. I've used it maybe 6-7 times and each time I got a lot of film algae the next day. If I dont use it, then I have to clean the glass every 3-4 days. That seems to be in line with what several others have experienced.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem... there isnt a lot of literature out there, and it feels like new people are kinda left out to blaze their own trail. I dont know that how I did it is the "right"way, but it worked. :D Follow the 14 day guide until you're done with it, then fall back to what the guide says (which is similar to the directions on each of the bottles) and just run with it. You can use ZeoFood, but its largely been replaced by SpongePower. I still have the original bottle of ZeoFood I got with the bundle last year. I've used it maybe 6-7 times and each time I got a lot of film algae the next day. If I dont use it, then I have to clean the glass every 3-4 days. That seems to be in line with what several others have experienced.

Great, Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so got some work done today. Took down the APEX Controller from my existing system and Mounted all of the modules in the new cabinet. I decided to mount the main controller on the wall above the aquarium for quick access of stats. Let me know what you think.
I had to redo the manifold because I screwed it up... It was my first plumbing job. It is taped and painted drying in the garage, hope it looks OK when it's done.

IMG_20170925_231726.jpg

IMG_20170925_231745.jpg

IMG_20170925_231822.jpg

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 80lbs of Tropic Eden MesoFlakes to get a solid 1" - 1.5" sand bed - once all of the rock was put down on the glass.

image.jpeg

Perfect I have 90 Lbs. of the same stuff at my house just wanted to make sure it was enough. I am also copying your purple barnacle idea, they look amazing!!!
Where did you get the return nozzle?

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally used a taped up threaded adapter, as many people do in the Red Sea Reefer thread here on Reef2Reef, but I have since picked up a printed adapter from Vivid Creative Aquatics and a 1/2" splitter to a couple segements of 1/2" locline and then ending with the Random Flow Generators from VCA. They have the entire setup available now as well in either 1/2" or 3/4" locline (here). They are really nice and durable. I dont know if the RFG makes a huge difference, but it adds a bit of turbulence to the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally used a taped up threaded adapter, as many people do in the Red Sea Reefer thread here on Reef2Reef, but I have since picked up a printed adapter from Vivid Creative Aquatics and a 1/2" splitter to a couple segements of 1/2" locline and then ending with the Random Flow Generators from VCA. They have the entire setup available now as well in either 1/2" or 3/4" locline (here). They are really nice and durable. I dont know if the RFG makes a huge difference, but it adds a bit of turbulence to the top of the tank.

Thanks so much for the help!! I just ordered the kit.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advise please.. it is my first large aquascape and I don't know where to start. Should I glue them or not. Should I build the structure in the tank or outside and then move it? If I glue them outside how do I move them I to the tank? Would like to hear how you guys handle it.
442143cd944f242476bb73fd10f24fa6.jpg

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 5 hours I think I'm happy with the aquascape. It is a pain in the butt! Not my favorite part of the build. The return pump has been installed and the manifold connections are done. I'm still waiting on 2 pieces of equipment, the skimmer and the Ziovit reactor.
40de0b0fc7a95951c03851d6205cc9c1.jpg
6d6b60f21ca19c859143f4d20c9317a2.jpg

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the tank is full and everything is running but I have a problem I just can not figure out. I can not get the ATO tank into its spot, it does not fit because of the return plumbing behind it. Can anyone help please?
ae895b484212043b34ff994df66f867a.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back