OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Some say certain macro algae are harder to keep than some corals.
I can agree with that sentiment so far; I've been struggling with my gracilaria parvispora. I'm hoping the new light i orderd will do the trick when it get here. My chaeto however is growing really well, it's like the saltwater equivalent to Java moss or duckweed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I've been keeping freshwater planted tanks for a couple years now, and after much hesitation, decided to try put saltwater! I currently only have a 2 month old 20 gallon, where I plan on keeping macroalgae, some softies, and a couple small fish and inverts. I'm hoping I can apply some of my skills growing freshwater plants to macroalgae, as it's what got me interested in saltwater from the start.
If you have a planted tank with slow water movement you can grow a lot of pods and keep seahorses in there for a really excellent smaller tank, imo.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I've been keeping freshwater planted tanks for a couple years now, and after much hesitation, decided to try put saltwater! I currently only have a 2 month old 20 gallon, where I plan on keeping macroalgae, some softies, and a couple small fish and inverts. I'm hoping I can apply some of my skills growing freshwater plants to macroalgae, as it's what got me interested in saltwater from the start.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Check out Reef Hobbyist Magazine current issue right now - free at some LFSs or you can look at it online in the meantime - GREAT issue containing macroalgae article.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you, if Antelope is in USA:

This might help you find people local to you, if Antelope is outside USA:

I'd love to live in a town with such a COOL name!! Antelope just seems like a great place to live...

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a planted tank with slow water movement you can grow a lot of pods and keep seahorses in there for a really excellent smaller tank, imo.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
I was thinking of keeping seahorses, though based on the research I've done, it seems that my tank is a bit too small for some of the hardier species like h. erectus, and the smaller species like h. zosterae are pretty tricky to keep.

I think that I might go for some pipefish instead though, specifically bluestripe pipefish. They're similar to seahorses, but can adapt to a wider range of foods and are hardier. At least that's what I've heard anyways, if anyone's had success with seahorses in a 20 gallon I'd love to hear about your experience

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Check out Reef Hobbyist Magazine current issue right now - free at some LFSs or you can look at it online in the meantime - GREAT issue containing macroalgae article.
Thanks! I'll be sure to give it a read
Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
I just created my build thread a little bit ago, I'll see if I can link it to my account.
This might help you find people local to you, if Antelope is in USA:
Thanks alot! There aren't too many aquarium stores in my area, so it would be great to find other local hobbyists to trade with.
I'd love to live in a town with such a COOL name!! Antelope just seems like a great place to live...
This is the first time I've ever heard someone compliment my town; it's right smack in the middle of California, with scorching dry summers, soggy cold winters, and fairly average scenery. Though, I guess that the name is pretty neat now that I think about it!
This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks again for all the help, it looks like it's got lots of helpful information in it!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of keeping seahorses, though based on the research I've done, it seems that my tank is a bit too small for some of the hardier species like h. erectus, and the smaller species like h. zosterae are pretty tricky to keep.

I think that I might go for some pipefish instead though, specifically bluestripe pipefish. They're similar to seahorses, but can adapt to a wider range of foods and are hardier. At least that's what I've heard anyways, if anyone's had success with seahorses in a 20 gallon I'd love to hear about your experience
I was thinking about the dwarves and yes 20 is really small for any ocean dwellers from a purely size scale discussion. My lfs keeps them for sale in a small display and they also sell macro algae from the same tank.

I don’t have practical experience with them but I’ve enjoyed the beautiful plant & Seahorse display and would like one, and the typical trajectory in aquarium is starting small and then upgrading to a larger box!

Your knowledge of the subject is impressive and I think your plant tank is going to be fantastic!

I once observed a seahorse on a reef in Cayman Brac (so I fancy myself as an almost- expert on them-:). I was impressed with the fact that the water was only 1-2’ deep and the horse hung there in shallow water and was not disturbed at my presence. The lack of motion of the animal to flee and head for a hole or deeper water and cover wasn’t typically what fishes do in these situations.
practically the space that horse was using was much less than 20 gallons if one ignores the food and Fresh water drift dimensions. That’s the extent of my “understanding” and the experience of finding a seahorse in the wild in shallow water and significant plant growth is a memory I would enjoy recreating in a tank but my plant keeping skills isn’t that good/ and probably not good enough for keeping a seahorse happy long term.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef and to the obsession
Photo_1665678987868.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't know why my build thread hasn't shown up in my profile yet, but Here's the link to my build if you'd like to see it

Let me be among the first to say ... <drum roll> ...

CONGRATULATIONS on your Build Thread Badge - WAHOO!!! It is there now!!!

Back