New scape adding old live rock?

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I want some opinions for the plans I have for my new tank.

I’ve filled up my new tank with fresh saltwater, new scape and substrate. I plan to break up some of my old live rock which has been established for 2 years and add it do the back chamber of my new tank which should in theory seed the new scape and sand?

Do you expect me to run in to any issues when when it comes adding my fish to the new tank?

Thank you!

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would sit it in the corner of your display area so it can really get into the sand
Okay, then move it over to the back? In terms of moving coral over.. obviously there won’t be much nutrients in the water. Would dosing No3 and Po4 suffice? I also plan to do a 50% water change using my old tank water.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, then move it over to the back? In terms of moving coral over.. obviously there won’t be much nutrients in the water. Would dosing No3 and Po4 suffice? I also plan to do a 50% water change using my old tank water.
Yeah moving to the back would be fine then

I wouldn't dose no3 or po4 and instead just feed some high nutrients food

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the established rock directly in the display tank. Unless you have a large quantity of established rock you will need to cycle it and test before adding fish. Just like any other new tank.

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the established rock directly in the display tank. Unless you have a large quantity of established rock you will need to cycle it and test before adding fish. Just like any other new tank.
Only thing is it’s riddled with vermited snails which I don’t want in my new tank, plan was to cut up the old scape and remove as many of them as I can

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing is it’s riddled with vermited snails which I don’t want in my new tank, plan was to cut up the old scape and remove as many of them as I can
If you have pests I wouldn't add anything from the old tank, I would just cycle it as a new tank and take your time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back