New tank 92 corner

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kicking around the idea of getting a bigger tank because everything is out growing my current one. Currently I have a 46 bow reef set up, no sump, T-5 lighting, caster filter & hang on skimmer. I don't have much room in my house, but I can fit a 92 corner where the 46 bow is. The new 92 tank will have a over flow and a sump, I will more than double my water volume.

The question I have is how do I get moved in to the new tank

1. Move my current tank and set up the new one in its place, cycle it then move my pets & live rock to the new tank.
  2. Move my current tank and set up the new one in its place, move my pets & live rock to the new tank add more saltwater no cycling?
Current tank, I need more room!

DSCF0256.jpg

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't add any uncured live rock, there's no reason to re-cycle the new tank. If you think about it, it's basically a 50% water change using clean water, except not even a change because you're not losing any of your 'good' water.

So yea- just do an instant move-over is my suggestion, and I'd also advice dosing some microbacter7 just to help things along during the transition. Also, even though you won't be using the canister long-term, hook it up to the new tank for a couple of weeks to prevent a cycle from loss of bacteria. Going to upgrade the skimmer or stay with the current one?

oh- and BTW- 92 bow corner? SUPER SWEEEEET!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Remora on it now, I think short term until my bank account gets back up there I am gong to run the remora in the sump. I am not sure what to get for a skimmer, I need more time to look, I don't want to spend over $400. I think my bigger problem is gong to be how to light the new 92, the T5's I have now will fit on the 92 but I want to do SPS or LPS corals. I am thinking of adding a small LED fixture back in the corner behind the T5, this tank is a weird shape to light.

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently sold off my 92g corner... Lighting it wasn't too tough with good reflectors and a couple halides (mogul base) set into the canopy. The real PITA was adequate flow... IMHO.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't add any uncured live rock, there's no reason to re-cycle the new tank. If you think about it, it's basically a 50% water change using clean water, except not even a change because you're not losing any of your 'good' water.

So yea- just do an instant move-over is my suggestion, and I'd also advice dosing some microbacter7 just to help things along during the transition. Also, even though you won't be using the canister long-term, hook it up to the new tank for a couple of weeks to prevent a cycle from loss of bacteria. Going to upgrade the skimmer or stay with the current one?

oh- and BTW- 92 bow corner? SUPER SWEEEEET!

1+ just a simple move over into the new tank! I have been thinking about upgrading to this tank for a while....any pics??

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet. I live in Duluth Minnesota to find a tank I will half to go to Minneapolis. I have found a couple of used tanks, I have been told that if the tank was used for salt water and it has been sitting around for a while that the seals dry up and will leak. Is that true? My first tank was used and it leaked.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the the tank is on order I hope I don't have any regrets! Those of you that have had a 92 corner do you know what length light fits on top?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the the tank is on order I hope I don't have any regrets! Those of you that have had a 92 corner do you know what length light fits on top?

Lights always seem to be a slight issue with this tank. I believe it is 36inches across. What kind of lights are you thinking about...MH, LEDs, T5s?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people think of the mh pendants as an option? Depends on what look you are going for, but that is simple and easy. Good luck on your build!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking LED, I am looking for something that is all assembled just plug it in for around $500.00. Ideas?

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefkoi evolutions would probably be your best bet, or the new ones from luke at reeffiltration are nice as well.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the swc 160 cone and love it! its pulling gunk out and i dont even have fish in the tank yet!!!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking LED, I am looking for something that is all assembled just plug it in for around $500.00. Ideas?

I think i will be following this thread for a while now - I am back on the 92g corner kick...i wanna go this route as well. How are your selections coming along?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank should arrive with in the next 2 to 3 weeks, in the mean time I am collecting everything I will need for this new tank.

So far I have purchased a pro Flex sump #3, I am hopping I don't regret picking this one, it seems a little flimsy. I have seen some bad review and good reviews on this on this sump. I am a sucker for anything shinny and new!

I picked up a Eheim pump for the return, I am running to the local hardware store to pick up plumbing supplies tomorrow. I haven't the foggiest idea what I am doing, this will be my first sump, from what I can tell it looks like I will need elbows, valves and a anti siphon device for the return line. The sump came with the line gong into the sump, not sure if I am going to use that or not, Ive herd that the flexible pipe makes the water quieter.

I got some more aragonite today, I think I am going to completely cycle this tank before moving everything over. I bought some of the live sand stuff, not sure if it is worth the extra expense. How can it be alive after being in that bag with out oxygen? I suppose the good bacteria like the lack of oxygen. I plan to reuse some of the aragonite in my old tank, I will take out as much as I can from my old tank to help the new tank cycle.

I have started making RO water and picked up more salt, next week I am gong to get my live rock. I cant wait to start aqua scapeing!!

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep that good attitude and enthusiasm... you'll do fine. :) I look forward to seeing it all come together for ya.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank should arrive with in the next 2 to 3 weeks, in the mean time I am collecting everything I will need for this new tank.

So far I have purchased a pro Flex sump #3, I am hopping I don't regret picking this one, it seems a little flimsy. I have seen some bad review and good reviews on this on this sump. I am a sucker for anything shinny and new!

I picked up a Eheim pump for the return, I am running to the local hardware store to pick up plumbing supplies tomorrow. I haven't the foggiest idea what I am doing, this will be my first sump, from what I can tell it looks like I will need elbows, valves and a anti siphon device for the return line. The sump came with the line gong into the sump, not sure if I am going to use that or not, Ive herd that the flexible pipe makes the water quieter.

I got some more aragonite today, I think I am going to completely cycle this tank before moving everything over. I bought some of the live sand stuff, not sure if it is worth the extra expense. How can it be alive after being in that bag with out oxygen? I suppose the good bacteria like the lack of oxygen. I plan to reuse some of the aragonite in my old tank, I will take out as much as I can from my old tank to help the new tank cycle.

I have started making RO water and picked up more salt, next week I am gong to get my live rock. I cant wait to start aqua scapeing!!

Sounds like you are moving right along...looking forward to hearing how your plumbing goes. I have never messed with a sump myself so ill be taking notes LOL.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will arrive in about 2 to 3 weeks, so far I have purchased the Pro Flex sump and a Eheim return pump. I have seen some good and bad reviews on both products, I cant afford to buy top of the line but I hope the sump and pump I have chosen will do.

I also purchased some of that live sand to speed up the cycling process, not sure if it is worth the extra money. How can it be alive with out oxygen? I intend to pick up some more live rock and am also gong to use what i already have in my 46 Bow. I cant remember how may pounds of live rock I am suppose to have for each gallon of water, any one know?

I have been looking at different pictures trying to figure out how to do the aquascaping, I don't want it to just look like a pile of rocks. I would like to make lots of caves for my fish and platforms for corals, I think this might be a little tough in this corner tank. I plan to just let the tank completely cycle, this will give me time to get the aquascaping just right and I think it will be safer for my pets to gradually move everything over.

I was going to pick up plumbing supplies yesterday for the sump but my plans changed after I discovered my UV light sprung a leak, some how one of the clamps loosened up. I now have my old 46 bow moved and the carpeting ripped up with a fan blowing to dry everything out, I should be able to put the carpeting back in a few days, stupid me could of caught the leak sooner if I had realized there is no way 3 gallons of water could of evaporated in 4 days. I needed to move the tank for the new one any way but this is not how I planned to do it.

Well off to the hardware store, not sure what I really need this is my first sump, but I will start with a check valve, elbows, slip joints and shut off valves. Any one have any sump plumbing photos that would be greatly appreciated.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will arrive in about 2 to 3 weeks, so far I have purchased the Pro Flex sump and a Eheim return pump. I have seen some good and bad reviews on both products, I cant afford to buy top of the line but I hope the sump and pump I have chosen will do.

I also purchased some of that live sand to speed up the cycling process, not sure if it is worth the extra money. How can it be alive with out oxygen? I intend to pick up some more live rock and am also gong to use what i already have in my 46 Bow. I cant remember how may pounds of live rock I am suppose to have for each gallon of water, any one know?

I have been looking at different pictures trying to figure out how to do the aquascaping, I don't want it to just look like a pile of rocks. I would like to make lots of caves for my fish and platforms for corals, I think this might be a little tough in this corner tank. I plan to just let the tank completely cycle, this will give me time to get the aquascaping just right and I think it will be safer for my pets to gradually move everything over.

I was going to pick up plumbing supplies yesterday for the sump but my plans changed after I discovered my UV light sprung a leak, some how one of the clamps loosened up. I now have my old 46 bow moved and the carpeting ripped up with a fan blowing to dry everything out, I should be able to put the carpeting back in a few days, stupid me could of caught the leak sooner if I had realized there is no way 3 gallons of water could of evaporated in 4 days. I needed to move the tank for the new one any way but this is not how I planned to do it.

Well off to the hardware store, not sure what I really need this is my first sump, but I will start with a check valve, elbows, slip joints and shut off valves. Any one have any sump plumbing photos that would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah aquascaping is something i have been thinking about too. Personally i like the whole bonsai tree with branches look...maybe keep it small so it does take up to much room...if i draw something ill post it so you can see what i am thinking.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back