New to Aquarium Hobby - 75 Gallon Tank Mixed Reef

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So this summer I started looking into the aquarium hobby... and was super impressed by looking a pictures of reef tanks. Started doing some research on it in June... joined a local reef club in Wisconsin... and by August I purchased my main 75 gallon Marineland tank.

With the help of a fellow reefer who lives closeby... and after about 2 months of watching Reef tank related stuff daily on youtube, and getting all the necessary equipment to get started, I started my first tank build.

This is my first tank ever. No real experience maintaining a saltwater, but the hours of youtube videos and active participation on local reef club gave me confidence that I can do it.

I'm setting up a standard 75 gallon main tank (48 x 18 x 21) that has been drilled and XAqua InOut Overflow fitted. I am going with the soft plumbing route, using 1-1/2 inch polyethylene hose for the drain, and 5/8 inch clear pvc tubing for the return.

The sump tank is stardard 30 gallon (36 x 12 x 17) that is divided in 3 sections for skimmer + sock, small refugium, and return pump.

Some of the equipment I am using

Auto Top Off : Tunze Osmolator 3155
Chiller : None. (Not sure if I need one in Wisconsin)
Controller : Neptune Apex
Dosing Pumps : Bubble Magus BM-101 (haven't started yet)
Heaters : ViaAqua Titanium 300w and Finnex Titanium 300w. (Cobalt Neotherm 100w is spare)
Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30W Gen3 (x2) and DeepBlue Solarflare LED for refugium
Media Reactor : None yet. (Will research once tank is more mature)
Overflow Box : XAqua InOut
Protein Skimmer : RLSS R6-i with Waveline DC4000 pump
Return Pump : Waveline DC6000
RO/DI System : 150gpd BRS 5-stage system with booster pump
UV Sterilizer : None. (Don't know its true benefits)
Wavemaker/Powerhead : Maxspect Gyre XF-150 and Jebao RW-4

The tank has been running for almost 3 months now...and happy to say I haven't experienced any issues (cross fingers).

Three months ago
20150822_180126.jpg

Current
20151025_201045.jpg

Bo Green

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks looking great! It seems like you've done your research and are doing everything right.

kromar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. Really like your rock structure. Good luck !

OP
OP
R

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't updated this in a while...

currently experiencing some issues ... with corals dying ... mainly cause I was thinking my 10 gallon bi weekly water changes was enough to replenish the calcium and alkalinity.... with with so many sps corals... i was wrong.... and i was falling behind on checking my parameters.... and so turned out... my calcium was hovering around 400...and alkalinity at 5.6....

Lost 4-5 big colonies of Purple digitata, Orange digitata, Forestfire digitata, 2 huge colonies of Spongode, Red plating monti, purple plating monti...and then some frags of sunset monti, mystic sunset, rainbow stylophora, and few more that i forget

Also, with the low alkalinity, I think it paved the way for cyano bacteria to take off.

Slow been working on getting things back up and being stable...

OP
OP
R

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought ATI Sunpower 6x54w lights (non-dimmable) used... gonna see if I like that over LEDs

Also #reef2reef for Contest

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back