OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a hurdle to setup the sump you have, or do you need to get one?

So you're getting your own RO unit and mixing your own water which is great, because you're in 100% control, rather than relying on a supply from a third party like your LFS, or LAC (local aquatics centre) as I prefer.

Do you have some large means for water storage setup yet?

I plumbed in my RO unit in my garden shed and have a large container to harvest the pure water. I keep this heater and circulating, so it's ready to be mixed with the salt in smaller 5 gallon containers for water changes.
Something like yhis would probably cover your 10% weekly water change maintenance on that sized tank.

Some people have much more sophisticated means of harvesting, mixing and replenishing their water on larger systems, but this method works for me and it's worth thinking about and doing a little planning around.

I also think it would be a good idea to just get things started with your canister filter and you can use the time it takes to cycle and mature to work on the longer term setup.

One thing I would think about, probably before you fill it is your aquascape.

Are you going down the dry rock route, or given this area much thought yet?

^ i do not. I am planning on my garage if plumbing allows (small three bedroom plumbing limited)

I would love to post you a list this evening of what I have, what I know I need, what brands I've researched to fill my needs etc...

Also below is a handy looking gentleman who lives in Ohio!

This site is a godsend. I am one of those hobbiest who researches & researches, but so much is a matter of opinion. Sadly my lfs owner blew me off when I tried to ask questions on T5 because he wanted to sell me an LED, mansplained me, and offered me $40 for something I sold on Craigslist for $250 (in 72 hours,). Disappointed in him. He does run a solid business... employees vary in knowledge. I have much more confidence in you all.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a ATO if you havnt already. Good D.C. Return pump so you can vary the flow easily. Again I use jebco due to cost and longevity i reef on a budget hintsball my cheap equipment. I run a Chinese black box over my fuge section in my sump. Have you thought about an aquarium controller?

I have a small T5 with bulbs in the box. I only used LED in freshwater, but for some reason I keep leaning toward T5. Lightening to me is such a huge decision. :/

I have not thought of an aquarium controller. I haven't read up on them much, a bit back in May, but clearly didn't retain. Suggestions. I was in freshwater long enough, and serious enough about it I am forcing myself to go slow. I don't want to experience burnout!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

If I may suggest, starting a build thread here and you can keep all of your questions and answers in one place for a reference as the system comes together

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a hurdle to setup the sump you have, or do you need to get one?

So you're getting your own RO unit and mixing your own water which is great, because you're in 100% control, rather than relying on a supply from a third party like your LFS, or LAC (local aquatics centre) as I prefer.

I plumbed in my RO unit in my garden shed and have a large container to harvest the pure water. I keep this heater and circulating, so it's ready to be mixed with the salt in smaller 5 gallon containers for water changes.
Something like yhis would probably cover your 10% weekly water change maintenance on that sized tank.

Some people have much more sophisticated means of harvesting, mixing and replenishing their water on larger systems, but this method works for me and it's worth thinking about and doing a little planning around.

I also think it would be a good idea to just get things started with your canister filter and you can use the time it takes to cycle and mature to work on the longer term setup.

One thing I would think about, probably before you fill it is your aquascape.

Are you going down the dry rock route, or given this area much thought yet?

I ordered 61 pounds of reef saver. Arrives within the next couple days.

My tank (which I'm in looooove with) is actually a 52 gallon ADA freshwater aquascaping competition tank. My ex is a international competitive aquascaper. He also isn't a nice guy. He has good qualities, but not nice. I was given quite a # of things, most aquatic in post breakup restitution for his bad behavior.

I love the lights with it unfortunately after a post last night (my first post!) I do not think it's LEDs can be adjusted for salt water. Also bulb purchase down the road would be expensive. :/ However it was my first post at an off hour, and only a couple awesome people chimed in.

I'm thinking I should sell all my lights I'm not using, and take that lump of money get a good LED....

IMG_20171031_175712.jpg

IMG_20171101_010929.jpg

IMG_20171101_010934.jpg

Last edited:

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
Hello, from the Midwest. I'm currently setting up my first salt water tank. I'm devouring everyone's knowledge. Appreciate all your provided advice, and wisdom. :)
welcome to r2r!
My advise to you :
Take your time. You’ll here the expression nothing happens quick in this hobby and it couldn’t be more true!
Research research research! This site is a good line of information and it can single handily make you successful in this hobby. There are all different paths to success. Try different methods and see what works for you lifestyle. People will give you all different opinions on how to do one thing, take those ideas and form your own plan. With that being said this hobby takes time , patience, and education if your willing to do the water changes , dose the tank , test the water and watch your reef grow you’ll be successful!

As far as equipment you can spend $5000 on equipment or $500. I would suggest don’t cheap out on skimmer and lighting but that’s just my opinion. Things like a apex are really cool to have (I have one ) but aren’t nessecary by any means. Kick back and enjoy the process it is a truly amazing and rewarding hobby !

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. A canister filter will work ok, especially on a tank of that size. I did that with a fish only 90 gallon for a while. Now that I'm converting it to a reef, I've drilled it and am working on my sump. If you might want a sump (nice but not required, especially on a 52), consider drilling the tank and installing an overflow or just bulkhead plugs in the holes so that you don't have to break it down when it comes time to do the sump. Make sure to check that the glass is not tempered first of course, as that cannot be drilled.

Where in Ohio are you? South of Columbus? I would pay for sump building assistance. Ya, I feel comfortable asking a stranger on a platform like this.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do other hobbiest drop in on those!?!? That's fantastic! Yes, journal is a must!

Oh yes, and you will also have followers that will get alerts when there are posts on the thread as they discover your system. You find that R2R is a friendly place. Also if you have specific questions and post them in the forms you will have a lot of eyes looking and get answers.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank (which I'm in looooove with) is actually a 52 gallon ADA freshwater aquascaping competition tank. My ex is a international competitive aquascaper. He also isn't a nice guy. He has good qualities, but not nice. I was given quite a # of things, most aquatic in post breakup restitution for his bad behavior.

I love the lights with it unfortunately after a post last night (my first post!) I do not think it's LEDs can be adjusted for salt water. Also bulb purchase down the road would be expensive. :/ However it was my first post at an off hour, and only a couple awesome people chimed in.

I'm thinking I should sell all my lights I'm not using, and take that lump of money get a good LED....

IMG_20171031_175712.jpg

IMG_20171101_010929.jpg

IMG_20171101_010934.jpg

I was just thing the same thing. Sell off equipment/trade that can not be used.

Very nice tank.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree with the light idea and I see what you mean now with the sump comment.

Some good advice on this thread already, especially regarding the sump and drilling.

Do you have any alternative aquatic centres near to you?

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Ohio are you? South of Columbus? I would pay for sump building assistance. Ya, I feel comfortable asking a stranger on a platform like this.
I'm a just outside of Columbus (east). The sump I'm working on is my first, but I'm happy to help out for free where I can. :)

This site has lots of sump-related info: http://gmacreef.com/

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Best piece of advise you will get is to be patient and take your time. Second is stability is one of if not the most important thing for your tank. During you cycle period I would recommend watching 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube by BulkReefSupply they are very informative. As for lighting aquatic life just released a t5 with led retrofit for popular led lights BRS also did a video on this light so you can see it for youself. As for your sump refugiums have been proven for great nutrient export so maybe consider dedicating 50% of your sump for a refugium as that should be about 10% of your system volume then heater, skimmer and return pump on the other half. Best of luck with your new addiction lol.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a just outside of Columbus (east). The sump I'm working on is my first, but I'm happy to help out for free where I can. :)

This site has lots of sump-related info: http://gmacreef.com/

You do woodworking to! Our friendship must be fate! I would love assistance. I am a tactile & visual learner. I'd love to bring everything to you, watch you as much as is possible as you go through the process of building, so then I can ask questions as you go. That is a awesome learning opportunity!

The sump has intimidated me. I'm more into the chemistry, biology, and botany (I'm crossing from saltwater) side.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 58 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.6%
Back