OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Welcome to R2R. Best piece of advise you will get is to be patient and take your time. Second is stability is one of if not the most important thing for your tank. During you cycle period I would recommend watching 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube by BulkReefSupply they are very informative. As for lighting aquatic life just released a t5 with led retrofit for popular led lights BRS also did a video on this light so you can see it for youself. As for your sump refugiums have been proven for great nutrient export so maybe consider dedicating 50% of your sump for a refugium as that should be about 10% of your system volume then heater, skimmer and return pump on the other half. Best of luck with your new addiction lol.

I looove 52 weeks! I've watched every episode (minus the sump one) at least three times! They have been a great go to, and what made me realize a saltwater tank tutor would be priceless. :) Thank you for the advice.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with the light idea and I see what you mean now with the sump comment.

Some good advice on this thread already, especially regarding the sump and drilling.

Do you have any alternative aquatic centres near to you?

I posted the lights under equipment forum. If you could suggest #'s I should ask for I'd be so thankful!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a just outside of Columbus (east). The sump I'm working on is my first, but I'm happy to help out for free where I can. :)
That cat has a uni-saw, he must know his stuff ! I see some sump builds coming

hello @CrazyCatGal you'll be going in no time, BTW is @Katrina71 your sister ? she mention a crazy cat gal in the family ...Good Luck!

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do woodworking to! Our friendship must be fate! I would love assistance. I am a tactile & visual learner. I'd love to bring everything to you, watch you as much as is possible as you go through the process of building, so then I can ask questions as you go. That is a awesome learning opportunity!

The sump has intimidated me. I'm more into the chemistry, biology, and botany (I'm crossing from saltwater) side.

I do make some sawdust and firewood once in a while. ;) Sounds like a great plan! I was an official biology geek for a brief time in college.

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I am fairly new here also. My first saltwater tank has just finished cycling. I live north of you in MI. Many people on R2R are very knowledgable, and all have been friendly. Good luck with your tank. The best advice I can give is be patient (not one of my strongest attributes) and do research. Have fun!

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did actually say Welcome... I too though am new. Not to Aquariums, just Saltwater. I have a sump running on a 55 Gallon in wall tank with a Bean Animal Overflow system. It currently houses two Goldfish, a Pleco, a Synodontis Cat, and two Danios... Long story.

BTW, how many cats do you have? We have eight in my house at the moment...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they thought I was trying to sell online? Definitely not. I just need #'s Craigslist is a hopping place in my area. I just don't want ripped off. I will repost under equipment. I will title it "Light Swap suggestions".

There is a post limit that one has to hit, I do not know off the top of my head before one can post on the selling forums. I would list it as what ever light you are selling, and in the explanation have sell or trade

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby

I would not mind talking you through a sump build it’s very easy and a shame to pay someone to build it
Starting out with a prebuilt tank is the easiest way to go then add baffles to create a refugium/sump
I can make you a diagram
And you can buy the glass locally
And then its as simple as gluing it all together
Of course my help is all free
We can make a thread or use this one or you can send me personal messages

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a post limit that one has to hit, I do not know off the top of my head before one can post on the selling forums...

Have to be a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Or become a supporting member and gain immediate access.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, and you will also have followers that will get alerts when there are posts on the thread as they discover your system. You find that R2R is a friendly place. Also if you have specific questions and post them in the forms you will have a lot of eyes looking and get answers.
I agree with @jsker, a build thread is a great idea.
As I mentioned is my earlier post, they are lots of helpful and knowledgeable members here. This hobby can be very addictive and it's hard to be patient, but as others have said, go slow, read read read, watch videos and ask lots of questions :). And that's a really nice tank your starting with can't wait to see more.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying used equipment is a way you can save lots of money it’s something you learn after your first tank there are some risks involved since you do allot of research before doing anything trust your instincts
A controller like the apex is one of the best investments i ever made it is a bit pricey but you can find used setups really cheap and always add to it, they also don’t drop in value much something to keep in mind is the “brand name” good quality equipment in this hobby do not drop in value so much

Feel free to ask me any questions ill be more than glad to help and share my opinion and experiences

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ypur
I never did actually say Welcome... I too though am new. Not to Aquariums, just Saltwater. I have a sump running on a 55 Gallon in wall tank with a Bean Animal Overflow system. It currently houses two Goldfish, a Pleco, a Synodontis Cat, and two Danios... Long story.

You have a journal page? Awesome our tanks are similar in size! Also a fellow buckeye!

I have a hodgepodge of freshwater equipment I need to get rid of. If you could find some time in the near future, it would be fantastic, if I could post photos of things for price suggestions! Or send them via message.

Examples, I have a multi regulator built by Alan Lee (if you do CO2 you likely know the name). It's top of the line piece of equipment, but I'll never run five tanks at once... To sell or not to sell??? I have been told not to accept less then $300, but it could sit on eBay forever. Things like Amazonian soil, fluval canister filter, high end fertilizers etc...

Two cats but I shelter volunteer etc. :) Wish I had a dozen... Eeek.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You into wood? I have some stunning wood. It's hard to part with, and I never plan on going back to freshwater.

I also have 54 pounds of Dragon Stone from API in Houston.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back