OP
Fish7

Fish7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Carrollton, GA. I buy all my stuff online, I have had great luck from TSA, Battlecorals, Legendary corals, Cherry corals, and such. I buy my fish from fishy business aquatics. I buy everything online.
That is awesome! I work in Carrollton and just graduated from UWG. I continually look online but haven't bought anything.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend since your tank is new to only get sofites and LPS corals, SPS tanks need an established tank to live. How big is your tank?

I have a few acans I can give you.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181229_154139.gif

OP
OP
Fish7

Fish7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend since your tank is new to only get sofites and LPS corals, SPS tanks need an established tank to live. How big is your tank?

I have a few acans I can give you.
I have a 16 gallon tank, which I know is small and harder to keep water parameters stable, but I have done well so far and am up for the challenge. How long have you been in the hobby?

Dylan Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
There is a saltwater fish store about an hour away from my house, which is not far but also not convenient! I live in GA. I have not found a fish store that I am in love with yet, but I am still trying! I am 100% afraid of online buying!
I also live in an area where saltwater isnt popular. My lfs went out of business and has left me to go to petco. The closes lfs is an hour away and still isn’t good at all. I’m super worried about online and shipping costs seem insane

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon tank, which I know is small and harder to keep water parameters stable, but I have done well so far and am up for the challenge. How long have you been in the hobby?
I'm still a newbie myself, been in the hobby for a little over a year now.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the API Saltwater and Reef test kits.
Just one thing. I trust API with my freshwater tanks. Freshwater is much more forgiving. For the reef tanks I use salifert. There are others, but salifert is easy, relatively accurate and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I just don't trust API with the marine tanks.

OP
OP
Fish7

Fish7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one thing. I trust API with my freshwater tanks. Freshwater is much more forgiving. For the reef tanks I use salifert. There are others, but salifert is easy, relatively accurate and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I just don't trust API with the marine tanks.
I have looked at those before, I will be sure to take a look at them again! What chemicals do you check? I do not check for magnesium yet, I was told my the fish store I bought my critters from that I did not need to until my tank was well established. I just want to try and do everything I can to have a successful tank!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check Alk, Calc, No3, PO4 and Mag. Water changes should keep you Mag in check, but with having corals, you may need to keep a closer eye on your Alk and Calc.

OP
OP
Fish7

Fish7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check Alk, Calc, No3, PO4 and Mag. Water changes should keep you Mag in check, but with having corals, you may need to keep a closer eye on your Alk and Calc.
My Alk has been good but my calcium is high. I have tried to do a water change but it is still running high. I try to do everything as "natural" as possible. I do not want to be a chemist and have to balance chemicals often, I understand sometimes that's necessary but I read that doing a water change would help my calcium but it's been 3 days and it is still the same. Any suggestions?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk has been good but my calcium is high. I have tried to do a water change but it is still running high. I try to do everything as "natural" as possible. I do not want to be a chemist and have to balance chemicals often, I understand sometimes that's necessary but I read that doing a water change would help my calcium but it's been 3 days and it is still the same. Any suggestions?
How high is high? Are you mixing your own saltwater or getting it from the LFS? A little deviation with the calcium isn't going to cause a major issue. Alkalinity is where you can get into trouble.

Back