(New/ with old) anthias, expectations

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too well versed with anthias so I figured I'd ask here first. I have two (male/female) Orange Lyretail Anthias in a 200g deep dimensions tank for a little less than a year or so doing great and very competitive for food with the other tank mates.

I just got a Purple Queen Anthias doing well in quarantine right now. I know they are notorious for not eating at all and generally just wasting away even if you get one to eat. I saw it at the store looking like it was eating whatever it could find and I had the clerk try to feed some frozen food, and to my surprise it ate pretty well so I decided to give it a try. I usually feed my reef tank 3 or 4 times a day so I'm thinking it might be able to do as well as my other 2.

So what I'm asking is about the aggression I might see from the 2 established ones? I have another tank I can put the queen into, but I really rather get it into my reef. The guy at the store said he wouldn't anticipate aggression but I take that with a grain of salt. Just want to see what everyone else thinks before I decide which tank to put him in.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamipinnis are on the aggressive side of the scale for anthias, whereas purple queens are on the passive side, so that wold cocern me. On the other hand the 2 species are each in a different complex within the genus, so that may help. Personally, I would feel adding a single anthias to an established squammi is a gamble and would feel better if a group of anthias were added simultaneously, but that being said there is still a possibility it can work out.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can try it in the acclimation box first and see how that goes. Probably be a while before I get it out of qt anyhow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no issues getting most of the more sensitive anthias through QT; but then they don't thrive in my main display - just too much competition and too many aggressive large fish. I have had much better success with them in my FOWLR which is mainly wrasses. Having said that, absent those large tangs, you may be OK in your display. Unfortunately, no way to know for sure until you try. Cheers, simon.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back