New Yellow Tangs w/ Crypto (possible entry vector - Live Sand?)

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have always done it, I never truly acclimate except temp. Always keep holding tank at 1.025 and dilute to what fish arrive at. Evap brings salinity back up.

I don’t acclimate corals except temp also. Clams I acclimate but not sure if it’s needed.
Same here. Corals get dipped and right in. Never lost a coral doing that even with wild (I'm talking >0.005) differences in sg.

This (plus a dip) is basically all I do.

For fish I have a seperate tank with fresh oxygenated water that I can adjust and usually call ahead to ask the vendor so it can be ready long before the fish arrives (I still test). Then once temp is close I just put the fish into that water.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots look a bit large to be ich, can you post some pics under white light?

I’ve never heard of Carib Sea sand serving as a vector - technically possible, but unlikely. Live sand from a tank with fish in it is much more risky.

The progression of ich isn’t always straightforward - it can be tricky to judge the route of infection based on early symptoms. It can skip fish for a time, etc.

Jay
Here is a pic of each fish under white light. Hope it helps. There does appear to be less spots today…

Attachments

• B84D015F-1894-47F3-9016-48E7602EB555.png
    B84D015F-1894-47F3-9016-48E7602EB555.png
    719.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4D54AADC-745F-4D0B-8D99-854FAF95C796.png
    4D54AADC-745F-4D0B-8D99-854FAF95C796.png
    770 KB · Views: 56

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of each fish under white light. Hope it helps. There does appear to be less spots today…

O.K., since these are smaller fish, the spots would look larger relative to their size. The spots on the fins and the number of spots changing both point to this being ich.

I think you should gear up to treat them in a QT. Coppersafe at 2.5 ppm is what I use.

Jay

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., since these are smaller fish, the spots would look larger relative to their size. The spots on the fins and the number of spots changing both point to this being ich.

I think you should gear up to treat them in a QT. Coppersafe at 2.5 ppm is what I use.

Jay
Thanks jay! I have a sponge filter running in my existing tank as we speak, copper power is here.. just need a different test kit (Salifert only goes up to 2.0 Ppm). I’ll get QT up and running this weekend and start increasing copper conversation slowly while increasing temp in my display to >82 F and beginning a 45 day fallow period.

In other news, the first pods have appeared in my DT! Lol I’ll take wins where I can get them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay! I have a sponge filter running in my existing tank as we speak, copper power is here.. just need a different test kit (Salifert only goes up to 2.0 Ppm). I’ll get QT up and running this weekend and start increasing copper conversation slowly while increasing temp in my display to >82 F and beginning a 45 day fallow period.

In other news, the first pods have appeared in my DT! Lol I’ll take wins where I can get them.
You might be able to mix some fresh saltwater and use that to dilute your tank water by 50% then test with the Salifert and multiply the results by two to get the results if above the high range of the test.
Jay

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to mix some fresh saltwater and use that to dilute your tank water by 50% then test with the Salifert and multiply the results by two to get the results if above the high range of the test.
Jay
I thought about trying that! Thanks for backing the idea.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Sponge filter is "marinating" in my 24 gallon and my hospital tank is almost ready to go.

Also, as of Saturday, the tangs no longer show any signs of infection. My guess is it will either come back stronger than before or maybe the fish have settled in enough now that they have it beat. Either way, still going to QT and fallow.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Sponge filter is "marinating" in my 24 gallon and my hospital tank is almost ready to go.

Also, as of Saturday, the tangs no longer show any signs of infection. My guess is it will either come back stronger than before or maybe the fish have settled in enough now that they have it beat. Either way, still going to QT and fallow.
Ich usually has an easy first wave followed by what looks like a full recovery but immediately after that it becomes much much worse. This pattern is probably where a lot of these supposed ich cured like garlic come from. Everything appears to cure it in between the first and second wave.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich usually has an easy first wave followed by what looks like a full recovery but immediately after that it becomes much much worse. This pattern is probably where a lot of these supposed ich cured like garlic come from. Everything appears to cure it in between the first and second wave.
Totally agree! Going to keep moving forward with the hospital tank/treatment. Thanks!

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... good news. I achieved 2.5PPM of copper power (over several days) as of Sunday night. Tangs and clowns are happy and eating well. DT is at 82+F and fallow so I am well on my way on the 45-day journy.

Question: I have ammonia alert badges and I noticed it slowly started reading more ammonia as i increased copper concentration in the tank. This could be a result of time and actual ammonia buildup.. but seems to have stopped increasing now that my dosage has stopped. Is Copper Power bound with ammonia? Would that get picked up by the ammonia alert badge?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... good news. I achieved 2.5PPM of copper power (over several days) as of Sunday night. Tangs and clowns are happy and eating well. DT is at 82+F and fallow so I am well on my way on the 45-day journy.

Question: I have ammonia alert badges and I noticed it slowly started reading more ammonia as i increased copper concentration in the tank. This could be a result of time and actual ammonia buildup.. but seems to have stopped increasing now that my dosage has stopped. Is Copper Power bound with ammonia? Would that get picked up by the ammonia alert badge?
In not familiar with Copper Power... can you add bacteria to the QT? Or do a water change?Can you add an ammonia detoxifier? It would be sad to lose your fish to ammonia poisoning after you saved them from ich.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In not familiar with Copper Power... can you add bacteria to the QT? Or do a water change?Can you add an ammonia detoxifier? It would be sad to lose your fish to ammonia poisoning after you saved them from ich.
prime is safe with copper power, at least according to humblefish's testing. But definitely don't do it with cupramine and other copper products have yet to be tested.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have lots of options to reduce ammonia if necessary (it is barely registering on ammonia alert). Really just curious if anyone has noticed copper power triggering the ammonia alert badge. I have several, so I could take some tank water from my established tank, dump some copper power in and see if the badge changes color.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prime is safe with copper power, at least according to humblefish's testing. But definitely don't do it with cupramine and other copper products have yet to be tested.

This is great to know! I'll keep this in mind in case of an emergency. For now, if it continues to go up, some WC's are in the future.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Looking at the fish today and my male clown does not look good. He is losing weight, breathing a bit heavy and covered in something awful (velvet perhaps?). The tangs both look great. Any ideas in what this is? The tank is at 2.6 ppm of copper power. Look closely at his forehead and belly. The spots are pretty noticeable.

CFDA8DD6-47F5-4BD3-B18C-25A51FC9869C.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping since I posted late last night. @Jay Hemdal can you take a look when you get a chance? Thanks!

This is where things get dicey - how are the spots on the yellow tangs? This clown could have Brooklynella, and copper doesn't help with that.....

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in therapeutic copper since March 30, is that right? Spots 8 days later is strange to me for ich or velvet. I honestly haven't dealt with brook before.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where things get dicey - how are the spots on the yellow tangs? This clown could have Brooklynella, and copper doesn't help with that.....

Jay
The Tangs don't have spots anymore. The clowns did get "normal" looking Ich spots at the very beginning before copper was at therapeutic levels, but those have since subsided.

I have had the clowns for a VERY long time (5+ years) - is it possible they had brook all along and it just popped up due to stresss?

Appreciate any help! I am going to start with a water change tonight to help reduce any stress from ammonia/nitrate.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in therapeutic copper since March 30, is that right? Spots 8 days later is strange to me for ich or velvet. I honestly haven't dealt with brook before.
They have been at therapeutic levels since Sunday night (3/27).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back