Newbie. About to pull the trigger

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Ive been obsessed with reefing for only a week now, but I'm so hooked its not funny.
I decided on a Red Sea Max Nano. I'm about to make the purchase, just tweaking the shopping cart. My budget is approx $1500 to get started. I plan on having a few Clownfish, a gobie, and maybe a dottyback. Plus clean up crew.

See ya around
Eddie

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Ive been obsessed with reefing for only a week now, but I'm so hooked its not funny.
I decided on a Red Sea Max Nano. I'm about to make the purchase, just tweaking the shopping cart. My budget is approx $1500 to get started. I plan on having a few Clownfish, a gobie, and maybe a dottyback. Plus clean up crew.

See ya around
Eddie

Ya $1500 is totally realistic for nano. Some things add up quick like lights or a skimmer. Or certain tanks.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks anyone.
I was about to skimp on the ro/di system and just buy water at first. But its expensive! I'm better off just buying the system and stretch my budget. It'll pay off in no time.
I'm definitely getting a battery back up system for the power head. Nothing would be more upsetting than a power outage and tank crash.

-Eddie

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

See ya around
Eddie
Hi Eddie , welcome too R2R ,and welcome too this most wonderful hobby , we love seeing pictures on here so please dont be shy !:D
Happy reefing !!!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks anyone.
I was about to skimp on the ro/di system and just buy water at first. But its expensive! I'm better off just buying the system and stretch my budget. It'll pay off in no time.
I'm definitely getting a battery back up system for the power head. Nothing would be more upsetting than a power outage and tank crash.

-Eddie
Welcome! Plenty of people here to help you with advice. Some will push theirs. Just know your budget, don't overload, do water changes, and you now have made a happy home. Playing it smart with the battery backup. Wise choise. Tunze powerheads I know there is a connector for them you can hook up to a battery. It will get you a good 10-24hrs worth. If heat was ever a problem. Hand warmers in zip lock bags scattered around the tank. If you are looking for a DIY 5g system with zerowater filters that can get you 60g at .000 on ANY TDS meter. Let me know I can walk you through it. All you need is 2 buckets, a table, aquarium sealant, and a 6 cup Zerowater pitcher and you never have to worry about over flow. Fill it up and walk out the door. 1:10 later, done! Mix your salt of choice. Some take 2hrs, some 4, and some 24hrs. Read the directions. You don't have to limit yourself with just clowns and goby. I have one of each. The other 4 fish are less feisty and way better to watch. Swissguard Basslet is my favorite, grammica lined dartfish, spotted mandarin, yellow & purple wrasse.

20170225_115351.jpg

20170225_115844.jpg

FB_IMG_1476505285803.jpg

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger pulled! Whether my choices were poor or not, i'll learn the hard way I guess.
What I ordered.
-Red Sea Nano Max 20 gallon
-Vortech mp10qd
-100w eheim jager heater
-instant ocean bio-spira (bacteria)
-10lbs of pukani dry rock
-10lbs of fuji dry rock
-10lbs of fiji pink arag-live sand
-160g bucket of instant ocean salt
-brs 4 stage ro/di system
-some misc stuff.

Wish me luck! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back