Newbie to Dosing

tyler-b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had my 180g mixed reef running for a couple years now and never really monitor water parameters (shame on me). Everything is doing well, but I recently purchased some Hanna checkers out of curiosity to check my calcium and alkalinity. Calcium comes in at 449ppm and alkalinity is really low at 4.5 dKH. I have some ESV 2 part that I won but have never used and looking for advice.

My question is how concerning is the low alk if everything in the tank appears fine? Also, is it ok to only dose the alkalinity mixture of the 2 part since calcium is in line and how many days should it be spread over as not to shock the tank from such a large swing?

Thanks!

OP
OP
tyler-b

tyler-b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was my thought too. It’s been a minute since I ran a test on newly mixed water, but I seem to remember it was well within acceptable range. I’ll update later tonight. Using reef crystals FYI.

OP
OP
tyler-b

tyler-b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4.6 again and a picture of the tank. I imagine the alkalinity has been at this level for awhile. Any advice on whether to leave it alone as it seems to have tolerated it, or start tweaking with dosing is appreciated!

IMG_7704.jpeg IMG_7610.jpeg

Last edited:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.6 again and a picture of the tank. I imagine the alkalinity has been at this level for awhile. Any advice on whether to leave it alone as it seems to have tolerated it, or start tweaking with dosing is appreciated!

IMG_7704.jpeg IMG_7610.jpeg
I would raise it slowly, 0.5 dKh a day or two and observe. Maybe just get it to 6.5 dKh.

jag10016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 180g mixed reef running for a couple years now and never really monitor water parameters (shame on me). Everything is doing well, but I recently purchased some Hanna checkers out of curiosity to check my calcium and alkalinity. Calcium comes in at 449ppm and alkalinity is really low at 4.5 dKH. I have some ESV 2 part that I won but have never used and looking for advice.

My question is how concerning is the low alk if everything in the tank appears fine? Also, is it ok to only dose the alkalinity mixture of the 2 part since calcium is in line and how many days should it be spread over as not to shock the tank from such a large swing?

Thanks!
i would take a water sample to a LFS

OP
OP
tyler-b

tyler-b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would take a water sample to a LFS
I'm planning on doing that this weekend just to verify figures before starting to dose. The alk checker was bought second hand so it could be out of calibration. Also, I see where Reef Crystals typically measures at 13 alk and my newly mixed batch read 9.6, which could explain why my tank is reading low also.

Thanks all for your help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing that this weekend just to verify figures before starting to dose. The alk checker was bought second hand so it could be out of calibration. Also, I see where Reef Crystals typically measures at 13 alk and my newly mixed batch read 9.6, which could explain why my tank is reading low also.

Thanks all for your help!

Yes, that is a reasonable possibility.

Back