Newbie with a coral torch problem

Sushinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the community and to saltwater reefing. I have an AIO 15 G that is about 2 months old. I bought a 2 head torch at the Reefapalooza on the weekend and it went all brown and all the tentacles were covered with it. Overnight the one head was white and just a skeleton on one head and over the course of the next day the 2nd head was all gone. I took it out and tossed it as I was not sure it if was contagious. I checked all parameters in the tank and the ammonia and nitrates were a bit high so I did a partial water change. My tank has also got the original torch I got and it seems ok. I have 2 clown fish, a goby, 2 peppermint shrimp and a few hermit crabs and snail. Everything was good until I got frags at the show. I have a zoanthid I got and it looks like it might have some of this brown starting on it. The brown stuff also has like hair looking strands on it too. Any thoughts if I have brought in something that will kill my other corals and if I can do anything?

I am using an AI 16 light which my son helped my set up the cycle and color on. He is a reefer with over a year experience and it is because of him I got hooked on this. I have a hygar wave maker.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !! :cool:
Sorry for your loss and troubles . Nothing is more deflating of spirit than to go to a show and buy coral that doesn’t do well after you get them home . Did the brown that you mention look like brown jelly ? Or BJD

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1697162499433.jpeg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You say your tank is about 2mo old? Did your tank completely cycle ( 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites ) prior to adding the inhabitants including the existing Torch? Seems awfully quick to be adding a Torch or any coral IMO. Can you provide a complete set of parameters ( NO3, PO4, Alk, Cal, Mag, NH3, and NO2 )?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am new to the community and to saltwater reefing. I have an AIO 15 G that is about 2 months old. I bought a 2 head torch at the Reefapalooza on the weekend and it went all brown and all the tentacles were covered with it. Overnight the one head was white and just a skeleton on one head and over the course of the next day the 2nd head was all gone. I took it out and tossed it as I was not sure it if was contagious. I checked all parameters in the tank and the ammonia and nitrates were a bit high so I did a partial water change. My tank has also got the original torch I got and it seems ok. I have 2 clown fish, a goby, 2 peppermint shrimp and a few hermit crabs and snail. Everything was good until I got frags at the show. I have a zoanthid I got and it looks like it might have some of this brown starting on it. The brown stuff also has like hair looking strands on it too. Any thoughts if I have brought in something that will kill my other corals and if I can do anything?

I am using an AI 16 light which my son helped my set up the cycle and color on. He is a reefer with over a year experience and it is because of him I got hooked on this. I have a hygar wave maker.
Torches can be challenging for the most experienced hobbyist yet easy for the novice. Often some issue that affect them is location, too much flow, low calcium (under 400), lights too bright, toxins from leather and other corals as well as elevated Phosphate and low salinity - A few things to check

OP
OP
S

Sushinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !! :cool:
Sorry for your loss and troubles . Nothing is more deflating of spirit than to go to a show and buy coral that doesn’t do well after you get them home . Did the brown that you mention look like brown jelly ? Or BJD
I am y thinking it is. It has no odor though but whatever it is the torch died. I took it out this afternoon it was just skeleton. Got it Sunday dead 4 days later. I think the zoa’s got it now too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 36

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community! And it does sound like Brown Jelly or BJD, though I’d be surprised if the Zoas have it. It usually affects lps, esp. torches and their ilk. I had a BJD problem recently, and had to use Cipro to fix it. I know it’s tough, but I’d suggest some other softies like leathers and easier lps like Duncans or Candy Cane once you get this problem solved.
IMG_9803.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back