Newly Joined member and rookie Reefer from Canada

samdinhkhuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting to all fellow reefers of R2R!
I'd like to begin to with "WOW!, what a great and friendly knowledgeable community that stumbled into." Please allow me to introduce myself.
I'm an absolute noobie in saltwater and corals hobby. I started my first 20gal saltwater system about 2 years ago with 2 clownfish and some snails to learn basic chemistry and control parameters of saltwater. I was always mesmerized by corals and always dreamed 1 day I'm capable of caring for them in an aquaria environment that they will thrive. On February this year I could no longer hold off my temptation of setting up an "real" reef tank; so I built myself a bigger system with proper equipments to assist my lack of experience and knowledge in reef. My new system is just over 6 months now and I started to add my first coral (zoas and clove polyps) 3 months ago. After a month they started to propagate and looked healthy, I decided that it's time for sps so I've been adding sps to my system every 10 days for 2 months now. All livestock in my system seem to do well with some sps already started to grow.

I already stuffed my biology and chemistry books back on the shelves since I found this forum community because I realized that it is actual hands on knowledge and aquaria focus being discuss here; rather than general texts that may or may not applies to controlled reef environments.

I'm keen to learn and gain more knowledge through all members in this awesome of a respected community. I also hope that everyone bare and have patience with my future questions since every issues I encounter will be new to me although I haven't experience any major issues.... yet.

MUCH APPRECIATED and Happy reefing! Below is my system information:

DT: Bare bottom 65gal (42x20x18inches)
Sump: 30gal 6 chambers with dual filter socks
Lights: radion xr30 x 3
Pumps: Vectra m2 return, mp10 x2
Skimmer: Bubble Magus 9 with air hose connected to my house's air return.
Controller: Neptune Apex, Trident, DOS and ATO module.
40inch home made 40watts using 4inch diameter pvc pipe.
Home made 10pounds CO2 generator operated by Apex.
Home made Phosphate and Calcium reactors.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gif_1690809774163.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting to all fellow reefers of R2R!
I'd like to begin to with "WOW!, what a great and friendly knowledgeable community that stumbled into." Please allow me to introduce myself.
I'm an absolute noobie in saltwater and corals hobby. I started my first 20gal saltwater system about 2 years ago with 2 clownfish and some snails to learn basic chemistry and control parameters of saltwater. I was always mesmerized by corals and always dreamed 1 day I'm capable of caring for them in an aquaria environment that they will thrive. On February this year I could no longer hold off my temptation of setting up an "real" reef tank; so I built myself a bigger system with proper equipments to assist my lack of experience and knowledge in reef. My new system is just over 6 months now and I started to add my first coral (zoas and clove polyps) 3 months ago. After a month they started to propagate and looked healthy, I decided that it's time for sps so I've been adding sps to my system every 10 days for 2 months now. All livestock in my system seem to do well with some sps already started to grow.

I already stuffed my biology and chemistry books back on the shelves since I found this forum community because I realized that it is actual hands on knowledge and aquaria focus being discuss here; rather than general texts that may or may not applies to controlled reef environments.

I'm keen to learn and gain more knowledge through all members in this awesome of a respected community. I also hope that everyone bare and have patience with my future questions since every issues I encounter will be new to me although I haven't experience any major issues.... yet.

MUCH APPRECIATED and Happy reefing! Below is my system information:

DT: Bare bottom 65gal (42x20x18inches)
Sump: 30gal 6 chambers with dual filter socks
Lights: radion xr30 x 3
Pumps: Vectra m2 return, mp10 x2
Skimmer: Bubble Magus 9 with air hose connected to my house's air return.
Controller: Neptune Apex, Trident, DOS and ATO module.
40inch home made 40watts using 4inch diameter pvc pipe.
Home made 10pounds CO2 generator operated by Apex.
Home made Phosphate and Calcium reactors.
First things first .
Welcome from another fellow Canadian .
Next .
We have all been there and jumped into sps feet first .
A few things to notice . They will consume a lot of Alk and cal .
They are not as tolerable to swings as the other zoas and cloves . As I’m sure you’re well aware by now.

Finally .. pictures are always welcome and feel free to ask for advice along the journey. .

Happy reefing

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely do a tank thread to share. I have to start taking pictures of the tank and document it from now on.
I use you tube to document. Easy, free and will always be there.

OP
OP
S

samdinhkhuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first .
Welcome from another fellow Canadian .
Next .
We have all been there and jumped into sps feet first .
A few things to notice . They will consume a lot of Alk and cal .
They are not as tolerable to swings as the other zoas and cloves . As I’m sure you’re well aware by now.

Finally .. pictures are always welcome and feel free to ask for advice along the journey. .

Happy reefing
I hear you on the sps factor. I just realized from my last order of sps that I actually went all in and not just feet first . So far most parameters are stable for 4 months now except phosphate and nitrate went to 0 for 3 days testing with Hanna LR Phosphorus and Nitrate checker then confirmed with Salifert. I slowly brought it up by shut off my reactor and feed the livestock (2 clowns, 2 tangs and 4 chromis) a little more over 3 days. Then adjusted my reactor and phosphate has been stable at 0.01 and nitrate at 5 for 2 months now. As for alk, cal and mg I use the Trident with DOS to keep them stable while manually test them daily to confirm. The PH night low has been steady at 8.3+ and day time high at 8.4+- so i use CO2 to control PH max out at 8.35 during the day. But of course I'm bracing for that "oh no" moment....I know it will come. Pictures will definitely come along soon as spent most of my time testing water daily instead of enjoying and taking pictures.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on the sps factor. I just realized from my last order of sps that I actually went all in and not just feet first . So far most parameters are stable for 4 months now except phosphate and nitrate went to 0 for 3 days testing with Hanna LR Phosphorus and Nitrate checker then confirmed with Salifert. I slowly brought it up by shut off my reactor and feed the livestock (2 clowns, 2 tangs and 4 chromis) a little more over 3 days. Then adjusted my reactor and phosphate has been stable at 0.01 and nitrate at 5 for 2 months now. As for alk, cal and mg I use the Trident with DOS to keep them stable while manually test them daily to confirm. The PH night low has been steady at 8.3+ and day time high at 8.4+- so i use CO2 to control PH max out at 8.35 during the day. But of course I'm bracing for that "oh no" moment....I know it will come. Pictures will definitely come along soon as spent most of my time testing water daily instead of enjoying and taking pictures.
I’d personally try bringing phosphates up a little more around the .03 to 0.1 range .

OP
OP
S

samdinhkhuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With low nutrient levels. .
What are you keeping alkalinity at ?
I keep Alk at about 9 but it rises to about 9.2+- on mid day but will lower down to 9 again when the lights ramps down. This has been bothering me for a while now. But I don't know how to deal with that small alk spike and corals seem to do ok so I stop stressing about it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back