Nitrate WONT DROP - even with NOPOX

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should get some ZEOvit ZEOfood plus, it's one of the three main parts of the ZEOvit system, it is partly for the heterotrophic bacteria(the vitamins in it), I believe that it will work with NOPOX.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it just takes time for organic carbon dosing to work and there is no rush. 40 ppm nitrate is not an emergency.

If nitrate is stable after a few weeks, then upping the dose is fine.

That all assumes you have confidence in your test method.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it just takes time for organic carbon dosing to work and there is no rush. 40 ppm nitrate is not an emergency.

If nitrate is table after a few weeks, then upping the dose is fine.

That all assumes you have confidence in your test method.
I’m using the Hannah HR Nitrate checker. Do you trust that one?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, been dosing 20ML and Nitrate have dropped down to 23.4PPM as of today.

I think I will stick @ 20 ML but test every other day as I don’t want these to bottom out!’

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, been dosing 20ML and Nitrate have dropped down to 23.4PPM as of today.

I think I will stick @ 20 ML but test every other day as I don’t want these to bottom out!’

Sounds good. Too low is worse than too high, IMO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

With 15ML per day now I have successfully dropped from 40PPM to 18.2PPM Nitrates using Hannah HR Nitrate Checker.

Coral’s look better and water appears more clear which I didn’t even think was a real thing with Nitrate’s being lowered. Anyone know?

Also, I’ve noticed my skimmer appears to be pulling out darker substances during this carbon dosing period. I think I will bring the final Nitrate number down to 8-10 PPM and figure out what that maintenance dose would be.

The NoPox does feed the corals as well correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NoPox does feed the corals as well correct?

At least some of the components in NOPOX (the acetate) will be consumed by corals and many tank organisms. Corals may also consume bacteria and other microorganisms that are spurred to grow by the NOPOX.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R,

I’ve been dosing 35ML of Nopox daily for the last 5 days and the Nitrates are not dropping. I started with 48.5ppm with the Hannah HR nitrate checker. After 2 days it did drop to 38 ppm but just sticks around this 40 ppm range.

Does anyone else have issues with NOPOX not reducing nitrates? Or ideas for why it wouldn’t be reducing the nitrates or ways to make it work better?

Here are my parameters . I have a 131 gallon water box with sump which equates to probably 160 gallons of total water.

Salinity - 1.025
Dkh - 9.1
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1400
Phosphate - .05
Nitrate - 40ppm (THE PROBLEM)

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!!

Keep an eye on phosphate. Remember nopox and carbon dosing reduces both. You don’t want to drive phosphate to 0 as it will negatively impact corals and potentially bring on things like Dino.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on phosphate. Remember nopox and carbon dosing reduces both. You don’t want to drive phosphate to 0 as it will negatively impact corals and potentially bring on things like Dino.
I started adding in an second small feeding of pellets to increase phosphates for the time being. They are holding steady at .05-.08 during the decrease in Nitrate.

I’m not sure if it’s from the pellets or if I’ve just been lucky but it’s worked so far.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!!

phosphate - .07
Nitrate - 4.7 ppm (Hannah HR)

In 2 days I went from 18 ppm nitrate down to 4.7 ppm nitrate and was worried when I saw how light colored the test ml was. I will hold in this range now but good to know that in 2 days things can drop this fast and thank god I tested!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back