No Water Changes - FarmerTy Reefing Method

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nutrient transport and export of the system is based on heterotropic assimilation and protein production, a skimmer and GAC. It is known that a skimmer is selective in removing organics . Compounds are skimmed easily, other compounds will not be skimmed at all. Not skimmable compounds will accumulate. May GAC be responible for keeping the balance?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FarmerTy waiting to hear your comments.
My apologies @Reeftang, I must have missed your response.

No, i wouldn't consider your nutrients low but we are using hobbyist tests so it doesnt hurt to experiment a bit. See if you can feed a bit more and be a bit less aggressive on nutrient removal and see how the corals respond?

I see nothing wrong with your light settings other than they are a bit low, which is highly subjective on your tank setup as a par meter would really be the answer to whether there is enough par getting to the corals or not.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reeftang. I should also say that the actual nutrient level may not matter in the case of carbon dosing and having an alk level above 8.0 dKh. Maybe try to lower your alk to 7-7.5 dKh range slowly and see how your acros fare a couple weeks later.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nutrient transport and export of the system is based on heterotropic assimilation and protein production, a skimmer and GAC. It is known that a skimmer is selective in removing organics . Compounds are skimmed easily, other compounds will not be skimmed at all. Not skimmable compounds will accumulate. May GAC be responible for keeping the balance?

The non-skimmable, non-degradable TOCs are selectively removed with GAC so you might be on to something. [emoji4] Otherwise, they can be removed with water changes.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Thread.... this is promising for me as well. My tank is just over a year old with no water changes thus far. I am using ATI Essentials pro to keep all my parameters in check. Between the Apex Trident daily water testing and ICP test (a few times a year for now) for the other elements i think i'm in good shape. My biggest issue is my recovery from an algae outbreak due to dosing iodine (That's my thoughts anyway), snails have pretty much eliminated that issue.

20191028_191321.jpg
20191027_173216.jpg

Last edited:

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good way, I'm also doing no WC, only keep dosing trace elements and salt water to keep steady salinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back