No water changes needed is this possible.

Reefer_punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents is that it’s definitely possible (as reefers have proven over the years) but I wouldn’t go that route before the tank has matured (1 year, give or take) and settled down.
I just think that a new system is a bit to unstable and would benefit from regular water changes.

my only two issues are;
#1 accumulation of contaminants: stuff will undoubtedly accumulate over time. Everything from airborne contaminants being added to the water by the skimmer to stuff you might introduce by sticking your hands in the tank.

#2 I like to keep a very clean sand bed, free of detritus. I’ve tried various critters but I find that they mostly turn over the top 2/3 of it, leaving the bottom layer full of crap.
I started 2 tanks on DSR without waterchanges, first one( red sea max130) I sold after 2 years, got a bigger one, and with succes it is almost 2 years old . It all depends on patience and trust...

Reefer_punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant complain ‍♀️
inbound4865748452267478301.jpg
inbound2567075977489361906.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got away with a little over 2 years with no water changes and then disaster broke out and it broke out very suddenly. Never again!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change some water but not every other week. I change maybe 20% of my water about 4 or 5 times a year and my reef is almost 50 years old.
I don't believe in too many water changes and actually feel it is detrimental.

Unless of course an emu dies in the tank. :cool:
there's something you don't see every day.

Flippersflippinooah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ez- trace and follow a DSR hybrid system but run a carx and dose strontium weekly. Do you run the full DSR easy system?

Yes using the full EZ system, do you order trace from Seaflower? There is a US distributor now which helps a lot with shipping cost :p

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another thread..

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes using the full EZ system, do you order trace from Seaflower? There is a US distributor now which helps a lot with shipping cost :p
Yes I did. Who distributes it in the US now? I have enough trace for probably a few years. Currently dosing only 3ml in my 120 and just started 1.5ml in my 45 frag tank.
May want to try the carbon product down the road. This is my 120 today at 6.5 months since startup.
20200109_191305.jpg

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us know. I would be interested in checking it out. I tried to read up on it. But could not follow and the availability of the products in the US was bleak. Hopefully I can follow your advice. Thank you.

Flippersflippinooah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. Who distributes it in the US now? I have enough trace for probably a few years. Currently dosing only 3ml in my 120 and just started 1.5ml in my 45 frag tank.
May want to try the carbon product down the road. This is my 120 today at 6.5 months since startup.
20200109_191305.jpg
Please let us know. I would be interested in checking it out. I tried to read up on it. But could not follow and the availability of the products in the US was bleak. Hopefully I can follow your advice. Thank you.

Fortunately I found where @glennf mentioned in his thread (linked below) that Reef Aquaria Design is the contact for US distribution. After sending an email to them, Deltec actually followed up and took care of the sale- they were very responsive and helpful. It sounds like they are working on getting their website set up for sales of the DSR items, my understanding is they are only handling the EZ line.
Hopefully this is somewhat useful to the OP and not hijacking too badly ;)

@Paul B A LIVE Emu in the tank might add a bit of good bio diversity and beneficial bacteria....no? :p

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is possible. Google Reef Moonshiners Guide and it will explain everything I promise.
If @James spinn will google that, he will end up with this !!!
You don't want that......... constantly wet hands from fragging, glue on the fingers, frag racks scratching your glass, wifey find out how big the paypal grew and demands new handbags, ........ that's just the start of the nightmare !!!!!

Listen to what Lou from Tropic Marin said, "Water changes don't do much to replenish trace elements" , keep it that way ;-)

Back