Nopox expectation help please

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Have just started dosing on a doser Nopox to lower nitrates and phos. I have around 260l of water inc sump and started with No3 - 40 & Pho4 - 0.12. I started dosing low at 3ml per day and after 1 week No4 - 12 & Pho4 - 0.04 so pretty happy with the results.

I have though noticed that the corals mainly lps don't seem that happy and have started to shrink and melt in some cases, is this expected to begin with?

I have also noticed a kind of light chemical foam on top of the sump water in the first chamber with the filter and skimmer, this wasn't there before so assume it is the Nopox, is this expected?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first would start with your testing and see if there are any inaccuracies to your numbers and or make sure that your using your testers correctly . If it were me I’d test my tank and after I was done grab a sample and take it to a reliable lfs and see if the figures line up . They will charge you but it may give you insight as to whether your test kits are up to par and the figures you just quoted are correct . Personally I don’t auto dose for those parameters . I try to solve it naturally first and last resort adjust chemically but manually . It’s too easy to overdose

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first would start with your testing and see if there are any inaccuracies to your numbers and or make sure that your using your testers correctly . If it were me I’d test my tank and after I was done grab a sample and take it to a reliable lfs and see if the figures line up . They will charge you but it may give you insight as to whether your test kits are up to par and the figures you just quoted are correct . Personally I don’t auto dose for those parameters . I try to solve it naturally first and last resort adjust chemically but manually . It’s too easy to overdose
I am pretty confident the tests numbers are OK, pho4 is a hanner that always seems to give stable outputs and No3 is Nyos which again I feel is giving the right numbers. My question really is more about the effect on the tank of nopox and if the couple of points i mentioned are normal not if the readings are right.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty confident the tests numbers are OK, pho4 is a hanner that always seems to give stable outputs and No3 is Nyos which again I feel is giving the right numbers. My question really is more about the effect on the tank of nopox and if the couple of points i mentioned are normal not if the readings are right.
NoPox should not result in any of the effects you are seeing.

I'd be looking at tank parameters and filtration.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox should not result in any of the effects you are seeing.
I'd be looking at tank parameters and filtration.
I'd also second this. You shouldn't have any adverse effects with using NOPOX. One thing: do you run a protein skimmer? This is recommended as NOPOX can decrease your oxygen levels and the skimmer offsets this.

Efficient protein skimming is essential to provide the necessary oxygenation of the aquarium and to remove bacterial flocks from the water.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Have just started dosing on a doser Nopox to lower nitrates and phos. I have around 260l of water inc sump and started with No3 - 40 & Pho4 - 0.12. I started dosing low at 3ml per day and after 1 week No4 - 12 & Pho4 - 0.04 so pretty happy with the results.

I have though noticed that the corals mainly lps don't seem that happy and have started to shrink and melt in some cases, is this expected to begin with?

I have also noticed a kind of light chemical foam on top of the sump water in the first chamber with the filter and skimmer, this wasn't there before so assume it is the Nopox, is this expected?
Another point I'd make is that NoPox usually takes at least 2-4 weeks to kick in.

Seeing a result within a week is very unusual and may point to something else altering the measurements.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of why I asked the question as I haven't managed to find any other accounts of these effects with Nopox.

I'll keep testing see if anything changes.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on NoPox usually not acting that fast. its also a bit of a fast drop of your levels, I always aim to make changes slower than this.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on NoPox usually not acting that fast. its also a bit of a fast drop of your levels, I always aim to make changes slower than this.
What could have caused it to drop then? I know the answer will be that the testing is good etc but honestly the same test kits have been really steady for months and as soon as I dose the Nopox they drop. The only other thing that has changed is I did about a 30% water change just before the first dose of Nopox but I have done this before and not noticed a drop like that a week later.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could have caused it to drop then? I know the answer will be that the testing is good etc but honestly the same test kits have been really steady for months and as soon as I dose the Nopox they drop. The only other thing that has changed is I did about a 30% water change just before the first dose of Nopox but I have done this before and not noticed a drop like that a week later.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
w
What salt are you using? Salt using probiotics such as Aquaforest could result in a fast uptake of NoPox carbon.

Have you noticed any changes in Alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where the issue lies, and I agree with folks that your observation is not the norm. It may also be unrelated to the NOPOX.

Do you ever check pH? Carbon dosing lowers it and if it’s very low already, that might be an issue.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
w

What salt are you using? Salt using probiotics such as Aquaforest could result in a fast uptake of NoPox carbon.

Have you noticed any changes in Alkalinity?
I am using the Quantum probiotic mixed macro but haven't noticed a change in alk. I am using a KHG and it doesn't seem to have upped it's dosing since i started the Nopox

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where the issue lies, and I agree with folks that your observation is not the norm. It may also be unrelated to the NOPOX.

Do you ever check pH? Carbon dosing lowers it and if it’s very low already, that might be an issue.
I don't check the PH to tell the truth so will have a look

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Quantum probiotic mixed macro but haven't noticed a change in alk. I am using a KHG and it doesn't seem to have upped it's dosing since i started the Nopox
Well, a salt with probiotics is designed to lower Nitrates and Phosphate without the addition of Carbon dosing, so that resolves that issue. Adding NoPox will give the bacteria a big kick so I'd advise very careful dosing so as to not bottom out your nutrients.

It may also explain the other symptoms.

I know that Aquaforest advise against the use of Carbon dosing and UV with their probiotic salt.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a salt with probiotics is designed to lower Nitrates and Phosphate without the addition of Carbon dosing, so that resolves that issue. Adding NoPox will give the bacteria a big kick so I'd advise very careful dosing so as to not bottom out your nutrients.

I know that Aquaforest advise against the use of Carbon dosing and UV with their probiotic salt.
Thanks, i did not know that, i'll do some investigating.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm interesting, I can't find anywhere that says not to use Nopox with the quantium salt but on their website they have nutrient control products, a phos remover which is – Purified Lanthanum and a nitrate remover which is – Bioavailable Carbon Sources, are they different to Nopox?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting, I can't find anywhere that says not to use Nopox with the quantium salt but on their website they have nutrient control products, a phos remover which is – Purified Lanthanum and a nitrate remover which is – Bioavailable Carbon Sources, are they different to Nopox?
You can use it, I'm just suggesting caution as the formulation of the probiotic component of their salt is unknown. It is usually something like a bacteria strain and a carbon source. By using Nopox you are adding additional food for the bacteria which can result in it being more effective.

FWIW, NoPox is simply 50% Acetic Acid (Aldi white vinegar), 37.5% ethanol (Cheap Vodka) and 12.5% RODI water. Many folks make their own.

I simply dose extra vinegar and save the vodka :)

The 'bioavailable carbon source' could be anything but will be along the lines above.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back