OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it, I'm just suggesting caution as the formulation of the probiotic component of their salt is unknown. It is usually something like a bacteria strain and a carbon source. By using Nopox you are adding additional food for the bacteria which can result in it being more effective.

FWIW, NoPox is simply 50% Acetic Acid (Aldi white vinegar), 37.5% ethanol (Cheap Vodka) and 12.5% RODI water. Many folks make their own.

I simply dose extra vinegar and save the vodka :)

The 'bioavailable carbon source' could be anything but will be along the lines above.
Thanks for your help with this, I am just starting to learn a bit about carbon dosing. I am interested to read on the Quantum website that their Phos remover is different to carbon dosing, this is what they say

"Phosphate exists as ionic and chemically bound by calcium, this causes fluctuations of calcium, stunted coral growth rates as well as the false reading of low phosphate due to the inability for test kits to be able to test for bound phosphate. Media & carbon sources remove the ionic phosphate but take long to remove the bound phosphate due to its high stability.

Our phosphate remover will precipitate out both ionic and chemically bound phosphate and place it in existing filter wool/socks. Note: A fine white film building on the glass indicates that you are overdosing, we recommend adjusting your dose and using our White Film Remover to safely clean any build up"

It sounds better to me but it also sounds like marketing speak otherwise why would you use anything else?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help with this, I am just starting to learn a bit about carbon dosing. I am interested to read on the Quantum website that their Phos remover is different to carbon dosing, this is what they say

"Phosphate exists as ionic and chemically bound by calcium, this causes fluctuations of calcium, stunted coral growth rates as well as the false reading of low phosphate due to the inability for test kits to be able to test for bound phosphate. Media & carbon sources remove the ionic phosphate but take long to remove the bound phosphate due to its high stability.

Our phosphate remover will precipitate out both ionic and chemically bound phosphate and place it in existing filter wool/socks. Note: A fine white film building on the glass indicates that you are overdosing, we recommend adjusting your dose and using our White Film Remover to safely clean any build up"

It sounds better to me but it also sounds like marketing speak otherwise why would you use anything else?
The phosphate remover is probably lanthanum chloride which causes Phosphates to precipitate. It is then removed by a fine filter sock. It does work but is aggressive and can drop phosphates too quickly If introduced too fast. The precipitate if not adequately filtered is also suspected of causing breathing problems and HLLE in Tangs.

Personally I use GFO in a reactor for phosphate control.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is written there is partly true and partly not true. I'd be wary of accepting any advice from them. My additions are in red.

"Phosphate exists as [dissolved] ionic [all phosphate is ionic unless the pH is below 2] and chemically bound by calcium [that is, bound to calcium carbonate surfaces], this causes fluctuations of calcium [that seems nonsensical to me; don't believe it], stunted coral growth rates [why??] as well as the false reading of low phosphate due to the inability for test kits to be able to test for bound phosphate [sort of true, but very poorly written, of course it cannot test for phosphate that doesn't enter the test kit because it is bound to a rock]. Media & carbon sources [and EVERY other method] remove the ionic phosphate but take long to remove the bound phosphate due to its high stability.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is written there is partly true and partly not true. I'd be wary of accepting any advice from them. My additions are in red.

"Phosphate exists as [dissolved] ionic [all phosphate is ionic unless the pH is below 2] and chemically bound by calcium [that is, bound to calcium carbonate surfaces], this causes fluctuations of calcium [that seems nonsensical to me; don't believe it], stunted coral growth rates [why??] as well as the false reading of low phosphate due to the inability for test kits to be able to test for bound phosphate [sort of true, but very poorly written, of course it cannot test for phosphate that doesn't enter the test kit because it is bound to a rock]. Media & carbon sources [and EVERY other method] remove the ionic phosphate but take long to remove the bound phosphate due to its high stability.
Yes, I thought that would be the case, it sounds like it has been written to sell the product rather than be clearly accurate,

Out of interest Randy, what would you use (or do use) to reduce nitrates and phosphates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I thought that would be the case, it sounds like it has been written to sell the product rather than be clearly accurate,

Out of interest Randy, what would you use (or do use) to reduce nitrates and phosphates?

I used GFO, growing macroalgae, vinegar dosing, large rock filled refugia, GAC, and skimming. :)

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry back with this problem. I am having problems still with about 65% of my corals (only gave about 20). I can see stn on the skeletal ones and the goni and hammers are shrivelled up. All this only happened since I dose nopox. I have sent off an icp today to see if there is any hidden issue but other than that my parameters look good.

alk 8 (khg stable)
Calc 400 (stable dosed)
Mag 1250
No3 15 - 20
Pho4 0.04
Sal 1.026
Temp 25

With these parameters I don’t really know what else to do

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back