Nuisance Algae

Dovavalor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I had this algae grow in my tank initially thinking it was Bryopsis. However, I'm not sure anymore. When I first spotted it during my water changes, I just sucked it out of my tank. I decided to go all out with Reef Flux for more preventative measures. However, two weeks later after dosing Reef Flux, it has taken over my whole tank affecting all of
IMG_8834.jpeg
my livestock. Can you all help identify this from the pictures I have taken, and recommend what else to do besides manual removal, which I am doing every day now? Currently, my Hanna testers are not reading any phosphates or nitrates due to this algae.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its 'stiff', it might be bryopsis. If not, its probably standard hair algae.

Obviously you have a lot of stray nutrients feeing the algae. Cut that down first.

Second is to remove as much algae as you can manually. If you can, remove one rock at a time, clean that outside the tank, then rotate it back in and pull the next rock out.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its 'stiff', it might be bryopsis. If not, its probably standard hair algae.

Obviously you have a lot of stray nutrients feeing the algae. Cut that down first.

Second is to remove as much algae as you can manually. If you can, remove one rock at a time, clean that outside the tank, then rotate it back in and pull the next rock out.
Spot on advice here. I'd just add to ensure a diverse and adequate clean up crew.

Can you please list your parameters? Using RODI?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back