Nyos 120 skimmer pump cavitation problems

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Nyos 120 for a year running on my tank and it works like a charm....once it starts drawing air. For the past 6 months I have had to lift the skimmer above the water line in order for the skimmer to begin to draw air and work correctly. After any shut down the pump needle wheel rocks back and forth, attempting to start, but no air will draw in, it appears to be fully in cavitation mode until I lift it up and above the water level, once the pump is above the water line it draws air and runs perfectly. This is a problem. If I am away and power goes out, like 3 weeks ago, the skimmer will caviatate forever, or at least until I return, or f I am at work, etc. You get the idea. I turn my skimmer off pretty regularly for feeding and other reasons. I have to lift it up every time. I have broken down the skimmer, cleaned and washed all of it every 8-12 weeks since it has been running. This seems to help for a few days (or one turn off cycle) then it is back to crappy non starting.
For reference, I have been running a Deltec on my Nano Tank for 4 years, never a problem with on/off, not one episode of the pump not drawing air or starting flawlessly.....Maybe I need to just get another Deltec. Ugggg, I really do love the silence and great skimming functioning of the Nyos, though.

Any ideas???

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any Nyos skimmer users out there with ideas how to help?

#reefsquad

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160, this is a known issue with these. Eco-Tec replaced my Pump 3 times, so 4 pumps total (they didn't charge me anything), I just blow into the Air hose that came with mine. It hooks up to the air inlet on the Air adjustment tube. I have the hose running out the back of my tank & can get to it from the side, works a lot better then raising & lowering the whole skimmer.
Edit: this was all within 18 months after original purchase.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either the pump or the impeller I think as already said, I’ve got a 160 and 300 and the same thing happened with the 160. It just stopped producing frothy bubbles over a period until I noticed something wasn’t right with it.

I actually just purchased a replacement NYOS 160 because there so good and silent, but you may as well replace the part if you can tell which it is. The impeller on mine looked fine, so it may have been the pump

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I will try the impeller first and go from there.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back