OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag Tank update - got a pair of breeding ORA Frostbite to breed for fun!

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks! Two of my fish on the 175g got ick! I’m building a hospital tank and Copper Power will be here this Sunday. I lost 3 clowns so far…I’m not happy!$&@ :(

Params are fine, N is low though — only 1.5 so been dosing N to bring it up. Unless I got an ammonia spike, don’t know why I lost a few clowns. They are not susceptible to ick though.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 2 more designer clowns over the weekend - no symptoms, they were just gasping for air at the water surface but didn't make it the next morning. I fed them to the carpet anemones -- expensive dinner! :anguished-face: I'm at a loss -- don't know why I lost clowns, other fish are doing fine. Corals are fine, even my SPS frags! Rather frustrating tbh.

The Hippo Tang and Angel have a mild ick so I'm setting up a hospital tank and will load Copper Power.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 2 more designer clowns over the weekend - no symptoms, they were just gasping for air at the water surface but didn't make it the next morning. I fed them to the carpet anemones -- expensive dinner! :anguished-face: I'm at a loss -- don't know why I lost clowns, other fish are doing fine. Corals are fine, even my SPS frags! Rather frustrating tbh.

The Hippo Tang and Angel have a mild ick so I'm setting up a hospital tank and will load Copper Power.
You and I both know, the designer clowns are like inbred dogs. You may get one thats great or one thats nothing but problems. It sux about the loss tho.

You running uv? I usually do a batch of diy frozen with the big two of meds (kanaplex/metroplex & focus) for new additions for the first 30 days to try to keep everything at bay, given a chance to fight anything off or heal up.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I both know, the designer clowns are like inbred dogs. You may get one thats great or one thats nothing but problems. It sux about the loss tho.

You running uv? I usually do a batch of diy frozen with the big two of meds (kanaplex/metroplex & focus) for new additions for the first 30 days to try to keep everything at bay, given a chance to fight anything off or heal up.
Understand the challenges with mixing genes -- all good. However, I got matured pairs and another pair that I had for 6 months on the other tank. I lost a pair that was in great shape now both dead -- no other signs!

Yes, I have a 57w UV running 24/7. Good idea on the med-infused food. I'm just feeding pellets and frozen food.

At this point, I need to treat what I can see before adding any more new fish!

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update — I lost 12+ clowns, no other signs of stress, ich, fighting, etc! I’ve moved the 3 remaining clowns to another tank. 2 of them died and I’m now down to ONE!$$@ No other symptoms — just breathing heavily or swimming normal one day, die the next day! :(

Corals and all other fish are fine. I thought that my carpets stung them but even clowns in a connected frag tank with no direct contact died!$&@

Possible Brooklynella killed all my clowns in less than a week?

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this day will come -- the Big, Bad, Blue Haddoni ate another fish last night! My wife caught him gulping her favorite fish so this bad boy gotta go! :( I'm going to move him to the frag tank tonight.

The red Haddoni (my fav) has been very fish friendly though...

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - tank has been set up for 4'ish months now. Everything is doing well but can't seem to get nitrate up -- it's hovering at 0.5, which is painful. I've been dosing NeoNitrate & amino acid. Going to dose amonia this weekend.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well — Tong “had” a red Haddoni because I just took her home! ;)

Will get better pics later but just too excited to put her in. Hope she will open up later tonight / tomorrow
Ooh you got the big boi! I worked there for a few months last yr for fun. That guy is crazy lol but he has a great shop. Sweet tank

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh you got the big boi! I worked there for a few months last yr for fun. That guy is crazy lol but he has a great shop. Sweet tank
Thank you. His wife wanted to get rid of it so I scored big time! Yes — nice shop. They lost all expensive SPS & LPS colonies on the big show tank 2 months ago, sad.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close call this morning - just before heading to work, I saw my VERY sticky, blue haddoni tried to eat a tuxedo urchin!@#$ I managed to yank the urchin out in time -- both are doing fine. That would have been a disaster for all parties involved, right? Should I relocate the urchin?

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank update — Colorado sunbursts are doing well, waiting for one of them to split though.

I do have a harem of Snow Storm juveniles swimming around like kids at Chuck E Cheese! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6567.jpeg
    IMG_6567.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder brown got ich so I bought a new fish trap to get him out. It took 3 days and was fairly painless - got really lucky! Back to QT and will rehome him. I’m done with powder tangs. Poor little guy needs help!

Attachments

• IMG_6638.jpeg
    IMG_6638.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6646.jpeg
    IMG_6646.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is finally 6ppm after dosing amino acid. I’m also dosing Ammonium Chloride in small amounts. Goal is to get N in the 10-20 range. Seeing less and less Cyano so that’s good news!

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpeg
    IMG_6661.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling Cyano so I threw in the ChemiClean grenade - skimmer is having a party!

PO4 is high at 0.33 - suspect is from the dry rocks!

Will do a 20% WC per instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_6745.jpeg
    IMG_6745.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag Tank is doing well - upgraded the RedSea RL90 to a Radion XR30 G6 Blue for better coverage and color.

Attachments

• IMG_6689.jpeg
    IMG_6689.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6688.jpeg
    IMG_6688.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 25

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back