Oils from feeding salmon to a reef tank

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I make a mush out of salmon, scallops, shrimp, nori, clams, mussels.

I don't get any excessive oils...........salmon is wild caught. The shrimp is the only one that is farm raised in the mix.

I haven't tried it but you can get wild salmon in cans. If you use it try to squeeze out the excess juice.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't eat farmed salmon. It's too fatty for me, and gives me the hiccups. My wife however, prefers farmed salmon. So it's ShopRite for the farmed stuff for her, and Aldi's for the Coho for me.

I think the extra fat in lazily swimming farmed salmon is one of the strikes against it. Wouldn't you rather eat a healthier ocean swimming fish?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't eat farmed salmon. It's too fatty for me, and gives me the hiccups. My wife however, prefers farmed salmon. So it's ShopRite for the farmed stuff for her, and Aldi's for the Coho for me.

I think the extra fat in lazily swimming farmed salmon is one of the strikes against it. Wouldn't you rather eat a healthier ocean swimming fish?

assuming you are right about fat levels, do you know it is unhealthy to get more? Fish oil capsules is a massive health food industry.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a mush out of salmon, scallops, shrimp, nori, clams, mussels.

I don't get any excessive oils...........salmon is wild caught. The shrimp is the only one that is farm raised in the mix.

I haven't tried it but you can get wild salmon in cans. If you use it try to squeeze out the excess juice.
Same but the mix I use also has squid and octopus in it.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a fisherman, i,m always throwing small scraps of fish into the tank after i clean them, never saw any issue

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab any fish I have in the freezer for diy fish feed. I haven't really noticed skimmer function. I will now, thanks.

This article says 70% of produced salmon is farm raised.

And this is interesting;

From the article:

Pros and Cons of Farm-Raised Atlantic Salmon
‌Farm-raised Atlantic salmon is the most common type of salmon found in the U.S. Wild-caught Atlantic salmon is prohibited under the Endangered Species Act. If you find salmon with this label, it is not authentic.

This is only Atlantic salmon.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oil thing is a definite issue with skimmer function. I don’t use lotion but grapeseed oil instead. If I put my arms in the tank by accident without cleaning them off, the skimmer immediately stops making bubbles for quite a long time. So yes. Fish tanks don’t like oil.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab any fish I have in the freezer for diy fish feed. I haven't really noticed skimmer function. I will now, thanks.

This article says 70% of produced salmon is farm raised.

And this is interesting;

From the article:

Pros and Cons of Farm-Raised Atlantic Salmon
‌Farm-raised Atlantic salmon is the most common type of salmon found in the U.S. Wild-caught Atlantic salmon is prohibited under the Endangered Species Act. If you find salmon with this label, it is not authentic.

This is only Atlantic salmon.
What about "wild caught" salmon which is not Atlantic. Surely wild caught Copper River/Sockeye salmon is actually wild caught? I did see recently the suggestion that farmed salmon which is not raised in the ocean could be better for you due to pollution of ocean waters. Not sure I'm ready to buy that.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

There’s no update. :p

I’m still feeding farmed salmon to my tank. The skimmer issue isn’t that bad. In fact, I stopped noticing any lapses in skimming. My fish are getting nutrients, and I feel really good about the diet I’m providing. It’s a MUCH better choice than the mysis I was predominantly feeding. I still offer it as a treat.

I also rotate with fresh (home frozen) clams and mussels. In addition, I feed TDO Chroma Boost and Nori. I think my fish are living their best lives.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back