One of my LFS’s is closed for now and my heart is heavy

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make a stop at one of my LFS’s and I was shocked to see them closed with a sign on the door saying ‘closed due to issues with tenant landlord’. Although I don’t consider this store my main LFS, I have bought livestock from them in the past and never had a problem with what I bought. One of the owners also helped me to break down my 120 gallon tank some years ago when I was going through a divorce and gave me store credit for my stuff. The owners are some of the nicest and most knowledgeable folks you could meet in the hobby and I hope and pray that they are able get back on their feet soon.

1693632066241.jpeg

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good LFS is worth their weight in gold. I'm out of town right now on vacation and have been gone for almost 2 weeks, and have a reasonable amount of automation but, they have been stopping by every few days to check on my tanks while I'm gone. If I want something they don't have, they'll order it for me, or call me if they get something in they know im looking for. They do free water testing, etc and are just generally there to help you with whatever issues you're having. My wife and I have small tanks and are on that small frag budget but when we go in it's still: oh hey good to see you, we got in a couple things you might like and don't try to push expensive stuff we can't afford. I can get stuff a little cheaper online, but this is why I have no problem spending a little extra to support them. Plus if I'm eying a piece of hardware they're like: go ahead and open it and play with it. A good lfs wants you to succeed long term because you'll keep coming back. My wife and I aren't big spenders on any one trip but we're pretty much in there every week buying something.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good LFS is worth their weight in gold. I'm out of town right now on vacation and have been gone for almost 2 weeks, and have a reasonable amount of automation but, they have been stopping by every few days to check on my tanks while I'm gone. If I want something they don't have, they'll order it for me, or call me if they get something in they know im looking for. They do free water testing, etc and are just generally there to help you with whatever issues you're having. My wife and I have small tanks and are on that small frag budget but when we go in it's still: oh hey good to see you, we got in a couple things you might like and don't try to push expensive stuff we can't afford. I can get stuff a little cheaper online, but this is why I have no problem spending a little extra to support them. Plus if I'm eying a piece of hardware they're like: go ahead and open it and play with it. A good lfs wants you to succeed long term because you'll keep coming back. My wife and I aren't big spenders on any one trip but we're pretty much in there every week buying something.
A small LFS has to do this to set themselves apart from the big chain store.
I am lucky i found a one man gang LFS(hes my coral guy with a few fish every now and then), his shop is underground but he is just what you described in your post. But like you i am in there every second week. Its a half a hour trip for me but so worth it.

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just learned that the shop will be closing its doors permanently at this location due to not being able to come to an agreement with the building lessor. As far as opening another location in the future? Impossible to tell but it would be awesome if it did happen. They still plan on providing aquarium maintenance services though. Sad day, for the local reefers at least.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just learned that the shop will be closing its doors permanently at this location due to not being able to come to an agreement with the building lessor. As far as opening another location in the future? Impossible to tell but it would be awesome if it did happen. They still plan on providing aquarium maintenance services though. Sad day, for the local reefers at least.
That sucks, hopefully he just goes underground and keeps going.

My current go to fish guy runs a aquarium/pool maintenance service first and stocks fish/coral for his (aquarium maintenance) customers second. He doesn't sell to the public (does not need to) and does not advertise publicly. Upside of dealing with So. Cal old money for 30+ years... you dont work hard to gain your customer base.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointing, I hope they set up shop at the end of the street. I have an excellent lfs 20 minutes away. The owners have been at it for decades. She talked me out of buying my diamond watchman goby until I waited a couple of months. Looking out for me and the fish. I try to get whatever I can from them even if they dry goods are a little bit higher than online. What they don’t have they can usually get for me if not I take a 50 minute drive to Tidal Gardens.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely PetCo replaces the old model. When the last LFS closes the chain stores will own the hobby. Salt will be online order only and guess who will pay the shipping?
Episode 19 News GIF by The Simpsons

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back