overflow noise issue

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed my dual overflow 180 and the overflow on the left is silent, the one on the right goes from silent to gurgling back to silent.

I'm lost, I tried raising lowering, taking the elbow off and still the same.

I have the drains connected and the left one is on a slight downward pitch since the drain that goes to the sump is on the right side of the tank.

I'm confused uggg

_divad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of overflow system are you using? I would assume durso. I personally hate durso overflows.

Regardless, if it is a durso.. I would recommend having the same exact size of pipe and fittings set up on both of the overflows.

Do you have a valve on your return pump to control the flow rate going into the tank? Dialing it back slighly should allow you to fine tune it.

I use bean animal or herbie style plumbing set ups because once they are dialed in, they are dead silent.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there dursos, the ones that came from the factory when the tank was built. The plumbing is the same everywhere

I do have valves on both return lines, should I dial back the one(overflow /return side) that is making noise on the farther one?

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank level? If your tank has settled and is sitting down further on the gurgling side, it could mean that the right overflow is doing more work, giving you the gurgling noise from the right and smooth operation from the left. In that case you can reduce the flow or the return pump to slow down the amount of flow the right drain is managing. Also, make sure the breather hole at the top of the dursa pipe is clean. I've added pieces of 1/4" tubing below the elbow to aid in getting air down to sip the gurgling. You make just need to drill the breather hole out a little larger too.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take and post a picture or two of the drains into your sump, please note the water levels of the darins as they sit currently.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the drains connected right after the right side, so drain into the sump which is about 4 ft away down stairs and about a 2 ft drop.

The water is level in both overflows, and I have even tried taking the drain pipe out and removing the elbow.

I will take some pictures and post them

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have the drains from each side running together into one drain line that then goes down to the sump? That's yours problem. I'm assuming you have 1" drains coming from each overflow. To fix this problem you would need to reconfigure your drain. When you bring 2-1" drains into the same line, the drain line they meet at should be 2" minimum to allow for some breathing. You are overworking the single drain line so I would with switch to a larger drain size to drop down to the sump or run each drain separately down to the sump.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both dursos should have a breather hole to prevent full siphons, can you confirm they are not clogged?

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elbows have a hole on each side and one on the top.

I switch out the elbow and the noise is gone, and the one on the left Is still the same (2 holes on the side and one on top)

As for the drain, I have them plumbed together and then into a 1-1/2 drain going to the sump. The water is gushing out at the sump, so i dont think there is a issue with flow.

I had this same set up hooked up to my 120, but it was a single overflow and never had a issue.

So as for now it looks like its fixed. I will let it run for awhile and see, but everything looks/sounds ok

Thanks for all the help

Rich

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back