Owners of the Helio PTC Smart Heaters

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stumbled across the Helio PTC Heater reading the article "Best New Saltwater & Reef Aquarium Gear Of 2021" by Robert Farnsworth. Started looking more into it, it seems like a well-built heater, but I wanted to hear directly form Owers. I saw the price $219.99 for a 100-watt heater, it would be an investment. So, owners of the Helio PTC Smart Heaters are they really worth the price do they do as advertised? What are the pros and cons of it?

Last edited:

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 500 watt and a 350 watt but I only have the 500 hooked up to my 320 gallon tank. I have only had this heater hooked up for about 3 months or so. And so far it has been very good investment. My tank use to move about 1.2 - 1.5 degrees per day according to my apex. And now with the helio my tank only moves about .4 degrees. So it has kept my temp way more stable. Only negative that I would say and it’s not really a negative is that the heater wand was longer than I was expecting. Hope that helps ask if you have any questions and I can try and answer.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go and get the HELIO heaters. These heaters are fantastic. I’ve had my HELIO 400w 2 element 200w HELIO heater installed for over 1 year now. Temps are incredibly stable - very little variation. Love how they use only one element to tweak heat when only minor adjustments are needed.

Yes I know these heaters are a premium priced, but I’ve had 300w BRS with controller fail on me. Since installing the HELIO, I no longer worry about the temps in my aquarium!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on 2 different tanks. Been flawless for me. Wouldn't consider nothing else. Safe and consistent. I'd rather pay for a quality heater than lose quality livestock.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 watt and a 350 watt but I only have the 500 hooked up to my 320 gallon tank. I have only had this heater hooked up for about 3 months or so. And so far it has been very good investment. My tank use to move about 1.2 - 1.5 degrees per day according to my apex. And now with the helio my tank only moves about .4 degrees. So it has kept my temp way more stable. Only negative that I would say and it’s not really a negative is that the heater wand was longer than I was expecting. Hope that helps ask if you have any questions and I can try and answer.
Wow .4? That is defiantly an improvement. One thing I'd like to know is how easy was it to set? I am using a Eheim Jager, and it is a pain to set, yet I still don't get exactly what I want every time.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go and get the HELIO heaters. These heaters are fantastic. I’ve had my HELIO 400w 2 element 200w HELIO heater installed for over 1 year now. Temps are incredibly stable - very little variation. Love how they use only one element to tweak heat when only minor adjustments are needed.

Yes I know these heaters are a premium priced, but I’ve had 300w BRS with controller fail on me. Since installing the HELIO, I no longer worry about the temps in my aquarium!
Seems good! Pushing me to the edge now.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both the controller and the heating element fail on me putting 120v in my sump. Customer service was great and took care of it all but I went to Aqualogic controllers on my 300 and I didn’t feel I could trust them. I still have the Helios running on my 210 and has worked fine since those issues, I was also an early adopter. I’m also not convinced having a super stable temp all the time is a good thing.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both the controller and the heating element fail on me putting 120v in my sump. Customer service was great and took care of it all but I went to Aqualogic controllers on my 300 and I didn’t feel I could trust them. I still have the Helios running on my 210 and has worked fine since those issues, I was also an early adopter. I’m also not convinced having a super stable temp all the time is a good thing.

Have any idea on why it might have failed? Bad unit maybe?

Btw ran into your Dragon Soul Torch, lovely piece.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any idea on why it might have failed? Bad unit maybe?

Btw ran into your Dragon Soul Torch, lovely piece.

The controller itself no idea, the heater putting voltage in the tank was due to a poor seal on the element.

I believe it was called the great temperature debate by reefs.com that showed why some temperature fluctuation may be a good thing, worth a read.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing I'd like to know is how easy was it to set? I am using a Eheim Jager, and it is a pain to set, yet I still don't get exactly what I want every time.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear everyone’s review I have the 1000w kit ready to be setup on my upcoming 250g build

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'd like to know is how easy was it to set? I am using a Eheim Jager, and it is a pain to set, yet I still don't get exactly what I want every time.
You just set the temp you want on HELIO controller and the aquarium stays at that temp. Couldn’t be simpler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just set the temp you want on HELIO and the aquarium stays at that temp. Couldn’t be simpler.
Oh wow.

No Way Wow GIF by Nickelodeon

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased when it first came out. Dual heater elements. It’s been very stable, 2x100w.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just set the temp you want on HELIO controller and the aquarium stays at that temp. Couldn’t be simpler.
I got one question with the Helio system does just 1 heater turn on at a time or both until temp is reached?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one question with the Helio system does just 1 heater turn on at a time or both until temp is reached?
If small temp adjustment is needed only one element will come on. If larger temp adjustment needed, both elements will come on.

During the day, usually only one element will come on while I have my Radions cranking (throwing off residue heat). At night, when I have the house heat turned down, I notice both heating elements running.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back