Owners of the Helio PTC Smart Heaters

mxnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 400w versions on my DT and frag tank. Love how small the elements are. Makes placing them in sumps a lot easier and saves space. So far so good in the 6 months I have had them. Only complaint I have is I wish the controller came with some type of plastic bracket so I can mount on the wall with screws and not use the double sided tape that it comes with. If anybody knows someone that has 3D printed this part. Please let me know. thanks!

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If small temp adjustment is needed only one element will come on. If larger temp adjustment needed, both elements will come on.

During the day, usually only one element will come on while I have my Radions cranking (throwing off residue heat). At night, when I have the house heat turned down, I notice both heating elements running.
That’s great thank you very much for that.

burntsquirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 400w versions on my DT and frag tank. Love how small the elements are. Makes placing them in sumps a lot easier and saves space. So far so good in the 6 months I have had them. Only complaint I have is I wish the controller came with some type of plastic bracket so I can mount on the wall with screws and not use the double sided tape that it comes with. If anybody knows someone that has 3D printed this part. Please let me know. thanks!
I bought one from Printed Reef, they don't have them listed on the site but if you email them they will respond and sell one to you!.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great News for Helio PTC Heater Owners!
All electrical components of the system will be warranted for 5 years. If you have already purchased a Helio, you will automatically be upgraded to the 5 year warranty.

We appreciate support and want you to know we support you too.

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All electrical components of the system will be warranted for 5 years. If you have already purchased a Helio, you will automatically be upgraded to the 5 year warranty.

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg
I just bought a helios 700w for my build tank and went to register the heater and I'm getting a 404 error saying the warranty page can't be found. I'm sure it has to do with the change in warranty but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow .4? That is defiantly an improvement. One thing I'd like to know is how easy was it to set? I am using a Eheim Jager, and it is a pain to set, yet I still don't get exactly what I want every time.
Most aquarium temp controllers are on at temp x, off at temp y which will give the daily swing.
Other control algorithms, like those used for industrial processes, use a PID algorithm that maintains heat by time proportioning the heaters output. For example, every 30 seconds the heater turns on for 10 seconds to maintain temp. If the control senses the temp is dropping, it increases the time proportion to 11 seconds; if temp increasing it drops to 9 secs out of 30.
I use this inkbird, meant for brewing, which uses a similar algorithm.

Inkbird Heating or Cooling PID Temperature Controller IPB-16S Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Controller Independent Control Pump Thermostat

Getting smaller swings than most aquarium heaters is a low bar.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a helios 700w for my build tank and went to register the heater and I'm getting a 404 error saying the warranty page can't be found. I'm sure it has to do with the change in warranty but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.
hmm, just tried it and it is working. Please try again

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had the dual 350 system for about 5-6 weeks, it gets an E5 error code , unplugging and replugging it in solves it.
But its done it 3 times. makes me a bit nervous

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had the dual 350 system for about 5-6 weeks, it gets an E5 error code , unplugging and replugging it in solves it.
But its done it 3 times. makes me a bit nervous
An E5 error code means the internal temperature of the heating element is getting too warm. Helio PTC heaters are designed to only reach a fixed internal temperature to prevent overheating that would cause the element to burn out.

The two most common reasons for that error code is low flow over the element or if the element is out of water. Try positioning the element where there is higher flow. That code is self-correcting, meaning if you get an E5 code it will shut off the heater but once temps drop internally it will automatically start heating again without having to reset.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks IM, my tank is 8foot x2 feet by 11inches tall (water height) and is a wave tank, it could have been when i had both of the gyre puumps turned off (low flow), will try to aim a fixed powerhead at them so if the waves stop or get slow that should help.

the cords for the heaters are so short they are centralized on the back wall about a foot apart with the temp sensor inbetween... Is that the best way? i have them on the back wall horizontally mounted and centered , do you have extension cords for these heater elements? would like get them towars the ends of the tank

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i shoud report I love the heaters, besides the short cords , i read somewhere online they were 10 feet cords. but these are maybe 4 feet cords , besides that its a really great system.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks IM, my tank is 8foot x2 feet by 11inches tall (water height) and is a wave tank, it could have been when i had both of the gyre puumps turned off (low flow), will try to aim a fixed powerhead at them so if the waves stop or get slow that should help.

the cords for the heaters are so short they are centralized on the back wall about a foot apart with the temp sensor inbetween... Is that the best way? i have them on the back wall horizontally mounted and centered , do you have extension cords for these heater elements? would like get them towars the ends of the tank
Wow! Your tank is pretty unique. Those are some pretty cool dims. It actually doesn't matter how you position the elements or remote sensor since you have them inside the display tank.

It is more important you always have flow going over the elements and remote sensor. The Helio system incorporates a sensor in each element and the remote sensor that constantly communicates with the controller to make sure temps don't rise or fall too quickly.

Since you aquarium is very long I would recommend directly your powerheads at the heaters so they can circulate the warm heated water to the rest of the aquarium.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya its not a normal sized tank, its was made to be a long wave sump, one end has a an acrylic flap door surger ( removed since modern pump tech does the trick).

Im gettin more of your heaters for my other tanks., these keep even the wierd shaped tank very evenly heated.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i just looked at amazon. Wow dang. These things aren't cheap. Lol.
Gonna need to upgrade my heater system looks like. Do they come with a controller or do I use my old trusty 800 controller?
D

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i just looked at amazon. Wow dang. These things aren't cheap. Lol.
Gonna need to upgrade my heater system looks like. Do they come with a controller or do I use my old trusty 800 controller?
D
All Helio PTC systems come with its' own controller that monitors each sensor in the element and remote probe. They come complete ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back