Owning an aquarium. Luxury or hobby?

aquaman33431

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this summer heat wave I see a lot of people lose their livestock when their tanks reach over 85F+ and a lot of them just put so much time and money into their aquariums that if you think it about it, it's difficult to start over and have that same mindset and motivation you did the first time. Obviously there are ways to prevent it but this hobby is about learning and learning that it's not if an error will happen, just when and people are becoming discouraged about that. Just knowing how much it costs to house coral is a sore feeling, and knowing that corals seem to be keep getting more expensive as new ones being brought to the hobby it's questionable if it's even worth keeping them. I've had tanks crash and it sucks so much but I've kept going and I learn from my mistakes and try to keep the least amount of room for error but it's difficult. When you think your tank is up and running and set up another thing pops up that you have to buy and of course it's not cheap. You can have a freshwater tank up and running and looking absolutely amazing under $100 but you won't leave the LFS with a ready to go saltwater tank under $300-400. Stuff has gotten really expensive and I just kinda wonder why should corals be so darn expensive. Aquarists are giving up just because losing hundreds and even thousands of dollars worth of coral isn't worth another go around. I don't think keeping a fully stocked reef tank should be based on how deep your pockets are. I feel like it's kind of becoming a level of status and of course many will disagree. Just a thought. I feel like we have to have more enthusiasm and understanding.
This hobby is a PRIVILEGE...we are fortunate to be able to view and care for the worlds diverse sea life in our own homes......

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's sometimes a little stressful just to know that your getting into something that's not just plug and play. Your dealt with cards you may not want to have. Diseases, pest, nuisance algae, unstable parameters, and a a plethora of other problems you run into in this hobby. But after reading everything you guys have pointed out and there are some really in depth points, what I think it is when it's a luxury or hobby is based on what you see it as. I see it as a hobby because it's my passion, it keeps me busy, there's always something new and something exciting about it and it keeps me motivated and interested, always trying new things, but the luxury aspect of it is that not everyone can be fortunate enough to keep aquariums not just money but just all the time devoted and dedicated to it. Almost 10 years in and started as in 6th or 7th grade when I was about 11 years old I got a 14 gallon bio cube and I learned a lot. And now at this age I had a chance to go to Hawaii and go to a university there but I turned it down for a local one because I did not want to tear down my four year old fish tank that was becoming a part of me. It's my most prized possession, not because of all the thousands of dollars I've put into it, but because of what it's given me, all that knowledge and information and experience it's given me is signs of dedication, and time I've put into it I don't wanna just tear it down and have to start over. I feel really bad for people who have to take down their tanks because it's a luxury but not in terms of affording it or not but because it takes so much time and so many years to even come close to keeping a stable aquarium with the abundance of things you have in your life going on at the same time and learning how to properly keep an aquarium let alone a reef. and finding the right balance for them. So whoever leaves this hobby I always see them want to get back into it because it offers so much and you work for luxury to relax. Keeping and maintaining an aquarium is a hobby, looking at it and watching it grow is the luxury.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1470741949.281028.jpg

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is a PRIVILEGE...we are fortunate to be able to view and care for the worlds diverse sea life in our own homes......
[emoji848] your right. That's why I think sometimes people aren't aware and informed enough that there will be mistakes made but we should be grateful to keep these beautiful animals in our possession that when something goes wrong they give up because they feel it's their fault and that no one else may make that mistake. But there's not a single one of us who has not had a problem, a tank failure, a disaster. I always like telling newbies it's not it it'll happen, it's when.

Russell G. Woodworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this summer heat wave I see a lot of people lose their livestock when their tanks reach over 85F+ and a lot of them just put so much time and money into their aquariums that if you think it about it, it's difficult to start over and have that same mindset and motivation you did the first time. Obviously there are ways to prevent it but this hobby is about learning and learning that it's not if an error will happen, just when and people are becoming discouraged about that. Just knowing how much it costs to house coral is a sore feeling, and knowing that corals seem to be keep getting more expensive as new ones being brought to the hobby it's questionable if it's even worth keeping them. I've had tanks crash and it sucks so much but I've kept going and I learn from my mistakes and try to keep the least amount of room for error but it's difficult. When you think your tank is up and running and set up another thing pops up that you have to buy and of course it's not cheap. You can have a freshwater tank up and running and looking absolutely amazing under $100 but you won't leave the LFS with a ready to go saltwater tank under $300-400. Stuff has gotten really expensive and I just kinda wonder why should corals be so darn expensive. Aquarists are giving up just because losing hundreds and even thousands of dollars worth of coral isn't worth another go around. I don't think keeping a fully stocked reef tank should be based on how deep your pockets are. I feel like it's kind of becoming a level of status and of course many will disagree. Just a thought. I feel like we have to have more enthusiasm and understanding.

aquaman33431

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji848] your right. That's why I think sometimes people aren't aware and informed enough that there will be mistakes made but we should be grateful to keep these beautiful animals in our possession that when something goes wrong they give up because they feel it's their fault and that no one else may make that mistake. But there's not a single one of us who has not had a problem, a tank failure, a disaster. I always like telling newbies it's not it it'll happen, it's when.
That why I always tell newbies-bigger is better when trying to create an environment that is stable and wont require having your "hands" in the tank all the time. Its on us as hobbyists, with longevity, to pass on information that will encourage good, responsible sea life stewardship

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is a Luxury and a hobby. It has grown to be a stress relief for me, to be able to come home after a long day at work and work on the tank or just to sit there and look at it. More recently it has become common ground that my girlfriends kids and I can spend time together. Get to teach them responsibility and show them that if you work hard and are patience things to pay off. They have one task in the tank, whether it is to feed the fish, clean out the skimmer cup, or even to use the flipper and clean the inside of the front glass. It is definitely a luxury also, I work my tail off as I am sure we all do at whatever we are doing. I am sure I spend more than I should or spend more "time" on it than my g/f thinks I should, but the smile on her kids and their friends faces, makes everything worth it. That's just my 2 cents. :)

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow alot of good comments
Could be a luxery to some a hobby to others and maybe a career to some with the really large tanks

I think its a very fun hobby, people have saltwater tanks smaller then a gallon with very minimal cost to run and not that much to set up and there are the real large ones with big money in them I feel still a hobby and its all what you want and can put into them time and money wise . I think if you have enough vested in a nice tank put the extra funds to maintain it on whatever situation , temp wise or power wise. Myself I have mine its own room in the basement were the temp usually doesnt affect it much and i spent a decent amount on a generator just in case.

Have fun all

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is both a hobby and a luxury. But if it gets expensive I have a large garbage can in my yard and I can put the entire thing there. (after I give away the livestock of course) My reef is 45 years old and I spend very little on it. I know people spend thousands but that is because they want to, not have to. I let the LFS check my water for free, I feed clams for pennies a week along with live blackworms which cost about two bucks a week. I buy bulk supplements that cost pennies a year.
I keep my fish immune from diseases so I don't need any medications, hospital or quarantine tanks. I built my lighting system for practically free as well as my skimmer. I know many people can't or won't do that but those are a one time cost as my skimmer may be 20 years old, I forget. If you keep your fish healthy and immune you almost never have to buy any fish Some of mine are 25 years old so if it cost me $25.00- 25 years ago, that's a buck a year. Cheap by any standards. I also don't change much water, maybe 100 gallons a year so that cost about $100.00 a year. I have no controllers or dosers so I don't have to pay for that.
I really don't know why so many people spend so much. One year owning my boat in New York probably costs as much as 20 years of reefing. (and to store the boat in a marina is about $9,000 a year even if you don't use it)
My tank has gone over 90 degrees many times, nothing happened. Maybe that is because of the reverse undergravel filter I use. The power has also gone out numerous times in all those years, I deal with it in many ways.
I love it when someone is frugal!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby tends to get less expensive as one acquires more 'reef smarts' (aka 'knowledge/experience'). All those gadgets, supplements, additives and such that you think are 'must haves' when you get started...ummm, not so much ;)

Typically, those who've been in the hobby for 30+ years run relatively basic setups with easy maintenance practices, low overhead and infrequent animal purchases.

Excellent Point!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL hobbies are more or less luxuries IMO. You don't need a hobby to live a decent life and hobbies are a want not a need. Of course there are advantages of having a hobby esp mentally some even physically of course. This hobby can be very expensive as we know or relatively cheap but the same can be said with most hobbies. I am a pensioner so I no longer have the financial clout I once had so I have to be thrifty. Most of my marine stuff I bought cheap second hand. I have used eBay Aquarium classifieds, Facebook forums along marine .com forum to get my bargains some I even sold on for a profit as I upgraded. I could live just as well even better without this hobby and if times got tough I would sell it all, so yes it's a luxury for me and in truth for many.

My piece of luxury.

20160511_213211_zpshx3xv3gi.jpg

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept all my receipts and invoices from the last 5 years and I've spent almost $16,000 on one tank. Not exaggerating at all. When I say luxury or hobby I mean that in terms that some people can't get their tanks to look as good as others not because of responsibility or husbandry but based on the simple fact they can't afford it and it becomes a luxury to them. I see this more as a passion and love but your right in itself it's a luxury that some people are fortunate to have and others can't afford it. It's sad to have it that way but it's true. I've seen people tear down tanks because they can't afford to keep them up and running and that really is sad to see it become that way.

I have a beautiful softie-dominant 10 gallon tank without a skimmer and using only very cheap lighting (2 compact CFLs and a $10 flood light for more coloration). I enjoy this tank almost as much as my 75 gallon mixed reef setup that I spent WAY more money on. Spending $16,000 or even $5,000 over 5 years does not have to be the norm. This hobby does not have to be expensive. With time and patience, frags can be sold from a low-cost system and it can pay for itself. Below is a pic of the 10 gallon tank.

IMG_1026.JPG

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back