Owning an aquarium. Luxury or hobby?

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to keep up with the "Jones" can make this an expensive hobby. Having the latest gadget or named coral makes this an expensive hobby.

I've been in the hobby for almost 20 years. I down sized my tank a few years ago mainly because as you go up in size the cost can proportionally go up as well.

As others have shared on this thread, one doesn't need to spend a lot on a set-up to be successful.

I guess in the end it it's really your goals and your approach that can make or break the bank.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it is you either pay for equipment that will save you some work (ATOs/controllers/dosers/etc) or you spend your valuable time performing the same function. (Or you strike a middle ground and DIY equipment that will save you time.)

Almost none of that equipment is truly necessary - you could use sunlight instead of light fixtures (and possibly even in place of heating), you can perform top offs manually, you can dose chemicals by hand, you can check your skimmer cup often instead of installing a float valve, you really don't need a dedicated stand for many tanks - a sturdy piece of furniture that you already own would do just as well, and the list goes on. The only things that are strictly necessary, I think, are buying some form of filtration, salt, food, and chemicals (though if you just did a lot of water changes even that would not be necessary).

And some purchases truly are just luxury ones - for example, buying rimless and/or starfire tanks serves no functional purpose. Your run-of-the-mill rimmed tank will do the job just as well.

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this depends on your setup. a 60 to 90 gallon tank that was purchased used, sits on a home built stand, and is running and looking nice is a hobby. A 180 gallon tank with the newest $800 light fixture(s) is a luxury...

Big Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this summer heat wave I see a lot of people lose their livestock when their tanks reach over 85F+ and a lot of them just put so much time and money into their aquariums that if you think it about it, it's difficult to start over and have that same mindset and motivation you did the first time. Obviously there are ways to prevent it but this hobby is about learning and learning that it's not if an error will happen, just when and people are becoming discouraged about that. Just knowing how much it costs to house coral is a sore feeling, and knowing that corals seem to be keep getting more expensive as new ones being brought to the hobby it's questionable if it's even worth keeping them. I've had tanks crash and it sucks so much but I've kept going and I learn from my mistakes and try to keep the least amount of room for error but it's difficult. When you think your tank is up and running and set up another thing pops up that you have to buy and of course it's not cheap. You can have a freshwater tank up and running and looking absolutely amazing under $100 but you won't leave the LFS with a ready to go saltwater tank under $300-400. Stuff has gotten really expensive and I just kinda wonder why should corals be so darn expensive. Aquarists are giving up just because losing hundreds and even thousands of dollars worth of coral isn't worth another go around. I don't think keeping a fully stocked reef tank should be based on how deep your pockets are. I feel like it's kind of becoming a level of status and of course many will disagree. Just a thought. I feel like we have to have more enthusiasm and understanding.

I can't answer if this is a hobby or a luxury but I can tell you what it had done for me and then I will try and answer the question. I've been into saltwater for almost 5 years now. My first tank was a 45 gallon bow front with a canister filter. The first fish I bought were a pair of make and female clown fish. Named them Plus & Minus from my childhood favorite show pinwheel. I didn't take care of that tank as well as it deserved over the first few years. Didn't do water changes regularly would put anything anyone told me to use in the tank. Didn't know what I was doing. Over time I started to upgrade this or that piece of equipment. But eventually everything died except Plus. I decided that I had seen all the mistakes that I made and was ready to do things the right way. Do back in December I bought a 75 gallon tank everything new. Meanwhile throughout this whole entire time I'd been struggling with my substance abuse addiction. In February I was injured at work. Shortly thereafter I was laid off from the warm weather this winter. I got further into trouble with my addiction. Today I'm 13 weeks sober. I used everyday since I've quit to spend time really working on my tank. Upgraded power heads. Redid the Aquascape. Bought an RO/DI unit started doing scheduled water changes dosing new lights ect. As silly as this sounds I couldn't have made it through this without my tank. It gave me a responsibility, helped me to learn how to properly do things and become a somewhat normal person again. The money I spend on my tank is allot but it's not going up my nose or going to put my butt in jail. And at least I have something to show for it at the end of the day. So to answer your question "Is it a hobby or a luxury" I will say that it's an investment. An investment of your money but also your dedication, your willingness to learn, to connect to nature, to animals and to ourselves. A hobby Is something you do in your spare time. Im a Reef Junkie!

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B , you're a nerd...;)

When are you going to invite me on your boat again -
Did you ever find that outboard motor you lost a few years back

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're both right. I believe it to be a progression of things. Starting out as a HOBBY. You don't know when you start out whether you will love it or hate it. Then as time goes on, your feelings start to take over and you start having actual feelings for the living things that you care for everyday which then turns into a RESPONSIBILITY. Then as you say John, as times goes by, if you are still "ALL IN", it becomes your PASSION.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to call our tanks a hobby at all.
It's a responsibility
Well I have enough "responsibilities"...that doesn't sound like fun...you must be responsible to your livestock, but give it up if it isn't enjoyable...I find it the most fulfilling thing that I almost have ever done...and I do it on a miniscule budget...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is both a hobby and a luxury. But if it gets expensive I have a large garbage can in my yard and I can put the entire thing there. (after I give away the livestock of course) My reef is 45 years old and I spend very little on it. I know people spend thousands but that is because they want to, not have to. I let the LFS check my water for free, I feed clams for pennies a week along with live blackworms which cost about two bucks a week. I buy bulk supplements that cost pennies a year.
I keep my fish immune from diseases so I don't need any medications, hospital or quarantine tanks. I built my lighting system for practically free as well as my skimmer. I know many people can't or won't do that but those are a one time cost as my skimmer may be 20 years old, I forget. If you keep your fish healthy and immune you almost never have to buy any fish Some of mine are 25 years old so if it cost me $25.00- 25 years ago, that's a buck a year. Cheap by any standards. I also don't change much water, maybe 100 gallons a year so that cost about $100.00 a year. I have no controllers or dosers so I don't have to pay for that.
I really don't know why so many people spend so much. One year owning my boat in New York probably costs as much as 20 years of reefing. (and to store the boat in a marina is about $9,000 a year even if you don't use it)
My tank has gone over 90 degrees many times, nothing happened. Maybe that is because of the reverse undergravel filter I use. The power has also gone out numerous times in all those years, I deal with it in many ways.
I avoid dosers and such...but air conditioning takes care of summer heat...

MiguelCS71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a luxury that I'm pondering quitting after a few decades. There was a point when I had 6 tanks (freshwater) tanks running in my home. When a major catastrophe happened to my 125g prize peacock cichlid tank due to minor construction/remodeling, I almost quit the hobby. But after a few months of guilt & mental torture thinking about the mistakes made, I decided to finally get back in, but this time after many years...we were going salt!!! After 2 years of FOWLR, my transition from a peaceful community tank to a predator tank....and now transitioned over to reef, I just wanna quit. I've spent so much time & money on equipment & fish & corals.....that I truly just want a break. It's been a good 20 or 25 yrs and reef was the last thing I hadn't tried, but it just hasn't worked out for me. All my corals have died and not I have no live stock, aside from an army of hermits scouring tank, a red knob star and some snails deep in the sand bed somewhere. Went to my first Reef-a-palooza this April and was so excited. Bought myself a few corals and nice SB REEF lights, that work for everyone else, but that only grow algae in my tank! Thought my corals would pop, but nope. So I'm just tired. Personally, in between the filtration medias, weekly water changes and live stock, things add up and this hobby is expensive! You've really gotta love it to truly, blindly see past all the expenses and only see the TANK! Cause the tank is your baby!!! And this baby eats away at your bank account just like a real baby, sometimes even MORE! But recently I've been thinking about this very question, can I continue to afford this 'luxurious hobby'??? I see how our oceans are becoming sooo polluted that in pristine parts of the world, where reefs existed....are now dead zones! Even parts of the Great Barrier Reef have been dying off. I don't know, every aquarist is different and thinks differently.....but for me, right now, this hobby has become a luxury. For all of you who continue, I wish you the best of luck with your tanks. I see gorgeous tank pics sometimes....I just haven't been able to reach that point and after my torch died last week, my heart just isn't in this hobby anymore. Take care guys....

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely if ever for most reefers.

Barely even possible if you stock any run of the mill corals. (Which by definition most people have.)

The upside of this busted myth is that most people don't get in it to sell frags anyway.

Thankfully!!!

I fall into the make more than spend category at this point. I spent a lot initially, but I don't have high-end equipment (black boxes, Jeabos, used tank, etc). I did spend a lot on SPS frags though. Now they are all colonies that are bumping into each other and need to be trimmed somewhat frequently.

My tank is on cruise control. I do a water change about every six weeks, only use kalk and a little two part, and don't buy fish or corals because my tank is full and my fish are mean. I sell SPS generally for half of what I paid and cover my costs and then some. I never really intended to sell coral at all, but it just happens if you have a moderate amount of success.

So yeah, for me its a hobby because I spend so much time on it. It's a luxury because I don't need to do it, but I like to do it.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Economically this is the absolute.
If it doesnt feed you, house you, transport you, help you survive to tommorrow.....it not necessary if it's not necessary has to be a luxury.
But then one could argue internet, tv and AC are not necessary. And I would thump you as Id then need a chiller and wouldnt be able research stuff for the reef tank.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-you for such a grounded response. You're tank is beautiful and I'm changing foods, per your live food article. Thanks again, I've learned a lot from this site since I joined a month ago and it's a lot to take in( reef keeping). We set up our tank in 1989 and added LR about 20 yrs ago. I like your attitude! (Former New Yorkers now in Texas!) just common sense and enjoy!

Maki~R~G~A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby tends to get less expensive as one acquires more 'reef smarts' (aka 'knowledge/experience'). All those gadgets, supplements, additives and such that you think are 'must haves' when you get started...ummm, not so much ;)

Typically, those who've been in the hobby for 30+ years run relatively basic setups with easy maintenance practices, low overhead and infrequent animal purchases.
+1

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Patience" is the key. Not just the term limited to hobby but overall life. By patience i mean time to research, preparation and get things in your head clear to know what is the actual requirement rather then just jumping off trying to experiment and learning on the way. There is a steep learning curve to this hobby though! When you know those things practically. The golden rule which most of the people tend to break in this fancy BLING BLING scenario and that is to follow the KISS system (Keep it simple stupid!). If you got them big bucks, not a problem buy what you can't buy. But if there is a limit, tryna save some on efficient and quality equipment which would be economical and last long term. It's like buying a car, if we just consider it as a necessity, even a kia would do the same job as a lambho. Determining budget to the optimal requirements is difficult at times so you go slow. It been a year and half for me, still holding my horses for the race. :)

Last edited:

Cheato Pet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about every hobby is a luxury, because it cost money. An aquarium certainly is not a necessity for survival, therefore it is a luxury. When people loose their job or have kids and money is tight often times the aquarium is the first thing to go.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you CrystalD.

Paul B , you're a nerd...;)

When are you going to invite me on your boat again -
Did you ever find that outboard motor you lost a few years back

I never found that lower unit from that outboard so I bought another motor.
I still go collecting all the time but the boat seems to be booked up for most of the rest of the summer. I will be collecting and crabbing today but on someone' elses boat. Mine needs a rest.

Back