Owning an aquarium. Luxury or hobby?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity was a problem, so I installed 24 solar panels on my roof. Cooling with my MH lighting was also a problem so I built a water cooled LED system that stays cool and doesn't heat up the water.
Joshua, I bought them in an LFS. I never bought any livestock on line

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby tends to get less expensive as one acquires more 'reef smarts' (aka 'knowledge/experience'). All those gadgets, supplements, additives and such that you think are 'must haves' when you get started...ummm, not so much ;)

Typically, those who've been in the hobby for 30+ years run relatively basic setups with easy maintenance practices, low overhead and infrequent animal purchases.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity was a problem, so I installed 24 solar panels on my roof. Cooling with my MH lighting was also a problem so I built a water cooled LED system that stays cool and doesn't heat up the water.

What is a water cooled LED system?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does the solar offset the cost of the reef or just cut down on it?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the solar offset the cost of the reef or just cut down on it?
LOL. My understanding with solar panels is you spend $10,000, it might pay off 20 years down the road.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a water cooled LED system?

Here is the water cooled LED system on my workbench. It is copper pipes with water flowing through it. The water flows through a radiator and gets cooled. LEDs are set into the copper and that is the heat sink. They stay cool. Fresh water flows through the system, not tank water (the copper would kill everything in seconds)
The solar panels reduce my electric bills by $110.00 a month.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. My understanding with solar panels is you spend $10,000, it might pay off 20 years down the road.

You can do that, but I was an electrician for 40 years so I bought them outright and installed them myself. The rebates and tax breaks made them almost free.

The lighting for my algae scrubber is also a water cooled system

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the water cooled LED system on my workbench. It is copper pipes with water flowing through it. The water flows through a radiator and gets cooled. LEDs are set into the copper and that is the heat sink. They stay cool. Fresh water flows through the system, not tank water (the copper would kill everything in seconds)
The solar panels reduce my electric bills by $110.00 a month.

:eek:
This is to increase the life of the LEDs?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one advantage. The main advantage is I am an inventor and love to build things. A water cooled LED system seemed like a fun thing to make. It also works very well and IMO is very cool. :D
I also have 2 aquarium related patents.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one advantage. The main advantage is I am an inventor and love to build things. A water cooled LED system seemed like a fun thing to make. It also works very well and IMO is very cool. :D
I also have 2 aquarium related patents.
Thats awesome! Someone needs to invent OLED light fixtures. That would eliminate the need for cooling.

Sorry for helping throw this thread off track.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I also helped. :eek:

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B , I could look at your tank forever! If I ever get to the other side of the United States, I may have to give you a shout out!

Personally, I call reefing my passion, and my stress release. I relax by caring for my tank, or watching my tank.

It has an implied and continuous expense, and I have seen folks get in and out because they didn't realize this wasn't a buy in and you're done thing.

It is my primary hobby, but represented a luxury purchase when I got the tank. I got in knowing it was a continuing expense, however. I think it is a trade-off. I probably would be spending the same money with any diversionary activity.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking reefing is more of a life style then a hobby, simply because for most of us, not a day goes by that we are not doing something with our tank, even if it's just taking a good look at everything to make sure it's as it should be.....making necessary adjustments. Most hobbies you get to choose when you want to participate, reefing pretty much weaves it's way into your daily life... That's when you become a real reefer,

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As things get more expensive overall, it's seems like actually having a hobby is a luxury.

There's upkeep for most every hobby. There's new things to guy and there's restocking of materials. Bikes actually can be a very expensive hobby. One of my other hobbies is photography and when things break, it needs to be fixed. I have yearly maintenance. There's upgrades that I want. I have to spend money to go places to be exposed to more things. The kids are into Airsoft and that can be an endless money pit as well. It can be frustrating, but it's the same with many things. We're not unique in that regard.

To me, this is absolutely a hobby. When it stops feeling like a hobby and is solely thought of as a responsibility, it may be time to rethink it what you're up to. There will be times when you wonder if it's worth it, but usually you'll get over the hump and start to enjoy it again. If not...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking reefing is more of a life style then a hobby, simply because for most of us, not a day goes by that we are not doing something with our tank, even if it's just taking a good look at everything to make sure it's as it should be.....making necessary adjustments. Most hobbies you get to choose when you want to participate, reefing pretty much weaves it's way into your daily life... That's when you become a real reefer,
What is the difference between a real reefer and uhhh... reefer? Just curious. I've seen some people use that label in condescending manors.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what your hobby is, as to how much impact it has on your daily life. There are lots of hobby just like ours.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people dabble, blow a bunch of money, skimp on equipment, have a failure, get discouraged, and move on to the next hobby to blow their extra cash on. I found that investing in the right stuff, giving the hobby the time it deserves, and keeping my hobbies to one or two and really doing it right keeps my hobby budget manageable and gives me the most enjoyment with my free time and extra cash.
Nail on the head.

As an industry professional it never ceases to amaze me how many times we're contacted by someone wanting immediate results, that has never read a book, and is relying on a tank controller to seemingly do everything without having even basic understandings of something like the nitrogen cycle. Read a book, get a basic tank with mid range equipment on a switchable power strip, then look for additional guidance from forums.

While some coral is more expensive than what was seen in the early 2000s (and obviously prior to that), the variety is staggering nowadays. Newly imported bright coral will hold a higher price point for some time prior to leveling out. You can still get amazing aquacultured coral for $10-20 per frag at many LFS and most "coral shows".

FWIW a hobby is a luxury.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting discussion. One promise Joeganja, we live in same city. If we ever meet never, ever, mention to hubby what your receipts total please!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what your hobby is, as to how much impact it has on your daily life. There are lots of hobby just like ours.
I like to think of reefers as ones who do take time in learning and gaining insight into the hobby for a successful reef. I think anyone who purchases the equipment and relying on like 'controllers' as others have said or in other terms, setting and forgetting, is looking at the hobby as more of a luxury or a decorative place mat. You cannot call that type of person a reefer by any means. So separating reefer from 'real reefer' is ment to be used negatively. IMO

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back