Ozone in skimmer

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a silly question, but how can you tell if your skimmer can handle ozone? I read that is can break down plastics. Are most skimmers generally durable enough to withstand?

Also, would running carbon off of skimmer drain be acceptable?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head, many Tunze and AquaC skimmers come with a fitting for ozone. (My favorite skimmers in general too.)

I'm sure many others do as well....

OP
OP
Mydoghasfleas

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head, many Tunze and AquaC skimmers come with a fitting for ozone. (My favorite skimmers in general too.)

I'm sure many others do as well....

Hmm, you have me looking. Any thoughts on Tunze's DOC skimmer line?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 9410.....easy to clean and skims well! The removable post-filter is a nice feature!

OP
OP
Mydoghasfleas

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 9410.....easy to clean and skims well! The removable post-filter is a nice feature!

So in some of the videos I have seen, people have it so water comes out of the patented anti over-foaming hole. From what I have read, water should only flow through this if the water level is too high?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in some of the videos I have seen, people have it so water comes out of the patented anti over-foaming hole. From what I have read, water should only flow through this if the water level is too high?

It depends a bit. Not everyone runs their skimmer "by the book". ;)

Also, you might be conflating the internally connected air-intake (the anti-over-foaming part; also what recycles ozone) with the overflow hole. The hole works to keep a stable foam head. The internal connection for the air is for anti-overfoaming....when the hole is overwhelmed. Then the air intake will start sucking foam, which will cut down on the air intake. If water rises high enough in the skimmer, the air connection is choked off completely.

To me, the main feature of the anti-overfoam is that it also functions as the auto-clean function for the air intake/venturi. When you have the skimmer cup off for cleaning, the foam will rise and start getting sucked into the air intake giving it a good rinse-out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would running carbon off of skimmer drain be acceptable?

I missed this somehow....Tunze's have the post-filter just for this.

I don't run any chemical media most of the time, but on occasion I've run a chemiclean bag in there, or a mix of carbon and GFO, or just one or the other. Works great and it's much easier to maintain than a reactor! :D

Most of the time I have the whole post-filter removed. Being optional is also one of its most useful features. ;)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back