Pairing Mandarinfish

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my video they are bluestripes.
Here are the dragonface, Janss and bluestripes.

I'm hoping to eventually put together a 40gal AOI tank together with a HOB fuge. Would that be big enough for 2 rubies and 2 mandarins? Or, is that too much in too little of a space?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to eventually put together a 40gal AOI tank together with a HOB fuge. Would that be big enough for 2 rubies and 2 mandarins? Or, is that too much in too little of a space?

It would be difficult to keep even one mandarin in that size tank w/out some kind of pod supplementation long term, or some kind of diner like Paul B's type of thing that allowed them to eat constantly, as that's what they do, basically a metabolism issue.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be difficult to keep even one mandarin in that size tank w/out some kind of pod supplementation long term, or some kind of diner like Paul B's type of thing that allowed them to eat constantly, as that's what they do, basically a metabolism issue.
Thats the plan for the HOB Fuge. I originally was going to do a hob overflow into a sump fuge, but the pods not surviving the trip up to the DT seems not worth it. So, as large of a HOB fuge I can fit seems to be the best option for a pod safehaven.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge is down below in my sump, pods travel the plumbing and pumps just fine, they make it to display.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it would not be big enough. I am quite sure those fish will starve in a couple of months or earlier.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, appreciate it. Some other thread said return pumps kill all pods...

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People sometimes parrot incorrect information.
I'm sure it's hard for some to wrap their head around pods running the coaster ride, but they do.
So, if I wanted to do a set up with those 4 fish, how big of a DT am I looking at? Or paired with how big of a fuge?

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I wanted to do a set up with those 4 fish, how big of a DT am I looking at? Or paired with how big of a fuge?

Unless they are eating prepared foods, you should only keep one for each 40 - 75g with just as much pounds of live rock(double the amount of rock would be even better). A 20g sump fuge would be a good starting size.

If you see that you still have a healthy looking mandarin and plenty of pods scattering around after 3+months, then you could consider adding a second one. They will try to out compete each other for food, and if your system cant sustain them, they will all end up going down hill.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on the female and know for sure you have a male, should be okay. No guarantees on any pairing though. Good luck! I have been looking for a male spotted for over two years now. Can only seem to find females. :(

I currently have a male spotted, we have 2 more at the LFS, I’m having a similar problem, but I can’t find females

There is way to suggest to DD what you would like to see added. I asked for a male red mandarin to be added. And watched daily and when they had one I snagged it. Got to see it before I bought it. ;)

Shelley

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am planning to introduce a male mandarin to my tank housing an established female mandarin. Will it be OK? How should I do it to prevent fighting?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a single ruby red dragonet for about two days... three different LFS said they weren’t jumpers and I have an open lid peninsula tank.... yep jumped out around 11 am, seems weird considering all y’all are saying that they only really jump at night. Nothing was in the room with them and the only other fish were a 1 inch pair of clowns

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I can do that. I have ordered him online....What else can I do?
hope for the best. I say get a larger male is because if the female is larger she will chase him from her territory and not spawn. In a tank that could lead to the death of the male if he can't get away. I know spawning may not be your goal but it is still basic compatibility.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope for the best. I say get a larger male is because if the female is larger she will chase him from her territory and not spawn. In a tank that could lead to the death of the male if he can't get away. I know spawning may not be your goal but it is still basic compatibility.
The tank is 150 gallons....do I have a chance if he is smaller? Will putting him in an acclimation box for a while help things?

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 150 gallons....do I have a chance if he is smaller? Will putting him in an acclimation box for a while help things?
That size tank should be good for two of them the male may out grow the female in a tank that size. I would look for signs of aggression between them. During the day they will more than likely ignore each other but at dusk is when you need to watch out for a more aggressive fish.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the male is here. He is not too small, about the same size as the female. I decided not to use an acclimation box. I put him in the tank after acclimation. They are aware of each other, on the same side of the tank, the female is peacefully plucking pods off rocks, the male is hiding in a cave

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too excited and anxious at the moment...they have just started hanging out together and lights are about to go off...will try to post tomorrow if they don't kill each other overnight, fingers crossed

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back