Palytoxin: The History, Pharmacology, and How to Protect Yourself

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting read! Thank you for the time and effort!

I have been very fortunate when it comes to the Palys. My nemesis
seems to be the sting from frogspawn.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually rinse off my fragging equipment with water and then rinse them in rubbing alcohol. Any problem with that?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting and relevant read. Thank you. Wonder if anyone has looked at Zoa eating nudi branches or such, since they evidently seem to be unaffected by the toxin for a possible anti toxin...

That's a great thought!

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u actually read there is a better storyline to the zoas. My wife is from the south pacific islands .and the story I've been told about the zoas has to do with a shark god being casted into the ocean... as far as fragging goes,using gloves protecting your skin eyes and mouth is what I would advise. . You don't have to be a professional to do something,you just need to do your homework when messing with corals .. the first person that cut zoas was not a professional. .

OP
OP
rbraunberger

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting and relevant read. Thank you. Wonder if anyone has looked at Zoa eating nudi branches or such, since they evidently seem to be unaffected by the toxin for a possible anti toxin...
They could also contain the toxin like many other animals in the food web. Good thought! I wish I was back in lab to look into some of these ideas!

OP
OP
rbraunberger

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u actually read there is a better storyline to the zoas. My wife is from the south pacific islands .and the story I've been told about the zoas has to do with a shark god being casted into the ocean... as far as fragging goes,using gloves protecting your skin eyes and mouth is what I would advise. . You don't have to be a professional to do something,you just need to do your homework when messing with corals .. the first person that cut zoas was not a professional. .
You should post that story! The toxin has a long history with many different populations. The people who did much of the original work just happened to be from Hawaii.

As far as the fragging goes it has come up a few times. "Leave it to the professionals" is always the safest Route to reduce your exposure risk, but as I said using gloves, eye protection, a well ventilated room, and some form of respirator is the equipment you should have if planning to frag yourself

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info!! Any articles on which zoas contain more severe toxin? And which ones are harmless? Or is it all, zoas?
You really need to do testing to identify if toxin is produced, and better to just treat them all as if they produce the toxin

Although that is probably good advice, references from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest that the Palythoa containing large amounts of Palytoxin are visually identifiable.

"Genetic analysis (2) determined that both toxin-containing zoanthid samples were consistent with previous molecular identifications of a highly toxic variety of Palythoa species collected from multiple aquarium shops in Maryland and Virginia, and from three similar aquarium-related poisoning events in New York, Ohio, and Virginia. Both specimens were genetically and visually distinct from the nontoxic or weakly toxic specimens from this case and similar previous cases."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

I've been working with reef aquariums for over 20 years and have never (knowingly) fallen ill from Palytoxin, though I work closely with LFS worker who has been affected and hospitalized a number of times. He says it has always been from a visually distinct type of Palythoa which is the same type shown in the photo from the CDC. He will not handle these Palythoa for any reason, and that LFS disposes this type of Palythoa (when it shows up on orders or customers bring them in) and will not sell it.

m6431a4f.gif

OP
OP
rbraunberger

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although that is probably good advice, references from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest that the Palythoa containing large amounts of Palytoxin are visually identifiable.

"Genetic analysis (2) determined that both toxin-containing zoanthid samples were consistent with previous molecular identifications of a highly toxic variety of Palythoa species collected from multiple aquarium shops in Maryland and Virginia, and from three similar aquarium-related poisoning events in New York, Ohio, and Virginia. Both specimens were genetically and visually distinct from the nontoxic or weakly toxic specimens from this case and similar previous cases."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

I've been working with reef aquariums for over 20 years and have never (knowingly) fallen ill from Palytoxin, though I work closely with LFS worker who has been affected and hospitalized a number of times. He says it has always been from a visually distinct type of Palythoa which is the same type shown in the photo from the CDC. He will not handle these Palythoa for any reason, and that LFS disposes this type of Palythoa (when it shows up on orders or customers bring them in) and will not sell it.

m6431a4f.gif
Thanks for the additional info!

I stayed within PubMed scholar search so I know there is more info out there! The most UpToDate review I found spoke about how molecular identification was required to identify the toxin since it was in multiple different species. I like the article from the CDC. I will add it as an edit to the article later!

I love the discussion and additional info generated!! Keep it coming everyone!

OP
OP
rbraunberger

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Genetic analysis (2) determined that both toxin-containing zoanthid samples were consistent with previous molecular identifications

m6431a4f.gif
I also like how responsible your LFS owner is! I have seen this type of paly in multiple shops and being sold without warning. If being sold I think known toxic species should be sold with a warning similar to any fish with poison.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a source/link of known species with photos of toxic coral? Etc. I'm gonna save that photo listed above. Thanks. Following

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks. When I used to collect these killers in Oahu I had an exposure that made me very ill for several days. Of coarse it didn't kill me because of how buff I am. I had a 40+ LB rock (saturated with paly slime) slip out of my hands and expose my bloodstream to the slime that they produce. Sweating, labored breathing and extreme pain followed. My heart rate was crazy and I couldn't speak without coughing. I won't reveal the antidote because Jose Quervo...duhduhduhudh.. Good read. Please spread to everyone. Those that are aware are welcome to discard.

Mark_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Began a zoa only 25g IM shallow a few months back. Thanks for the info. Will definitely change my handling practices.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back