Could you include some photos of these types? Very interested, thanks

Texas Trash.jpg

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great paly write up - after reading about Julian springs palytoxin encounter I removed a rock with palythoa, gloved hands, placed it in a plastic bag, and out the door it went. I still often wonder why since the 70’s the species is sold as a great “beginners” coral. With the risk of palytoxin exposure one would think this coral would be considered for the advanced aquarist. I also can’t help think of kids and the toxic nature of this coral - it seems like a recipe for a bad situation-like snuggs, I’m a nurse, too. I have been maintaining by reef aquarium - zooanthids included. I like them, I don’t frag them and they are quite happy. Don’t mess with the palytoxin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
AFTER ZOA/PALY HANDLING, I ALWAYS WASH MY HANDS WELL FOR 2-3 INTERVALS WITH ANTI BACTERI SOAP

knowen87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual palys have a distinct feel. They have stiffer stalks, a rough texture (like sand paper), and the slime up like crazy when you touch them. The are often green and brown. I got rid of mine several years ago. I still am careful with any zoas but only if I'm fragging and only safety glasses.

Uwharrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes I may have that one in my tank!

Although that is probably good advice, references from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest that the Palythoa containing large amounts of Palytoxin are visually identifiable.

"Genetic analysis (2) determined that both toxin-containing zoanthid samples were consistent with previous molecular identifications of a highly toxic variety of Palythoa species collected from multiple aquarium shops in Maryland and Virginia, and from three similar aquarium-related poisoning events in New York, Ohio, and Virginia. Both specimens were genetically and visually distinct from the nontoxic or weakly toxic specimens from this case and similar previous cases."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

I've been working with reef aquariums for over 20 years and have never (knowingly) fallen ill from Palytoxin, though I work closely with LFS worker who has been affected and hospitalized a number of times. He says it has always been from a visually distinct type of Palythoa which is the same type shown in the photo from the CDC. He will not handle these Palythoa for any reason, and that LFS disposes this type of Palythoa (when it shows up on orders or customers bring them in) and will not sell it.

m6431a4f.gif

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great paly write up - after reading about Julian springs palytoxin encounter I removed a rock with palythoa, gloved hands, placed it in a plastic bag, and out the door it went. I still often wonder why since the 70’s the species is sold as a great “beginners” coral. With the risk of palytoxin exposure one would think this coral would be considered for the advanced aquarist. I also can’t help think of kids and the toxic nature of this coral - it seems like a recipe for a bad situation-like snuggs, I’m a nurse, too. I have been maintaining by reef aquarium - zooanthids included. I like them, I don’t frag them and they are quite happy. Don’t mess with the palytoxin.

Dianna, I felt the same way at first. I haven't been in SW long. But, I'm hooked now. I read daily on different corals and fish. I decided before getting my first salt tank that I wasn't going to have a single Paly or Zoa in my tank because of the horror stories I had read about. Then I did some more reading and realized that, with the proper care and equipment, I could be safe with Zoas and Palys. Now, just a few months in, my tanks are dominated by them. I tend to gravitate towards the awesome colors. I do still tend to stick more to Zoas than Palys. Mainly, because of appearance.

I wish you all the best with your Paly/Zoa free tank. Show us some pictures so we can see how well you are doing.

Thank you,
Derek

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing write up! I have been guilty of poor personal protection habits when cleaning my tank. I was re-doing my rockwork and had spent a couple hours with my hands in the water. Needless to say, the rocks tore up my hands pretty good and I ended up with some sort of infection at the site of the cuts. It has cleared up and there was no lasting effects, but it makes you think about what is floating around. This article further illustrates the need to be aware of what the animals in your reef are capable and to take the steps needed to protect yourself!

William zech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article!! As a hobbyist, is there a list or method for identifying what corals are poisonous? For the average hobbyist, the best solution to this problem is to avoid buying them in the first place. In my opinion

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Nice topic. Sea envenomation talks are definitely interesting.
Here are some pics of the palys in my reef. Sorry 1st one turned out a bit blurry.
You can have them, but just use caution.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many people hear of this and fear of this but this most definitely clarified the curiosities
Well written

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back