Paper Reef

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all those who haven't heard (Most of you) I'm unable to own an aquarium :( but I love art so i'm making a paper aquarium o_O. Yeah I'm turning my closet door into a realistic aquarium :eek:. How i'm going to do it?...that's where I need some help. I've got everything planned out, then I think how am I going to attach the live rock structure to the closet door without damage? It's got no paint but I have to think of a way to make it light enough to attach it to the closet door with tape or some other material (it would be great if it could come on and off without falling off but it doesn't have to). I WAS going to make it out of crumpled paper with a thin layer of paper mache then hot glue them together but if anyone has any other suggestions I am open. (I am hoping to keep it from sticking out too far and no more than about four or five inches.):)
-ReefCreator1-

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sound pretty cool, and inventive. Keep use posted

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like paper mache.....you can do any shapes you wish.

The other possibilities are styrofoam that is cut to the shapes you want. Another option is foam in a can were you could spray it on directly (it's very sticky), and let it expand....and continue adding layers until you get the look you want.

IMG_1122.jpg

OP
OP
reefcreator1

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I need to work on my photography skills. They look SOOOO much better in real life

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has a shoe rack that is a wire frame hung with square hooks that go over closet door. Door still opens & closes like normal. Could you mount it to something like that?

OP
OP
reefcreator1

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has a shoe rack that is a wire frame hung with square hooks that go over closet door. Door still opens & closes like normal. Could you mount it to something like that?
I LOVE that idea

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the blue insulation foam before to make tabletop terrain for war games before. They came out great. You can cut them with a hot wire tool and use a soldering iron to put holes and nooks in them. Just be careful with the fumes from melting the insulation. Do it outside. Lesson learned on that. Then you could glue sand to the "rocks" before paint. I used the same foam painted for my geckos terrarium. Well, a mix of that and the foam filler in the spray can. That may also be an option to build the rock structure out of foam can stuff on a piece of paper, then remove and adhere the "rocks" after paint. I used solo cups in spots I wanted plants and used these fake plants to get a feel once got what I wanted, removed the fake and added live plants and soil.
IMG_2494.JPG

OP
OP
reefcreator1

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most definitely need a lionfish, and an anemone

I might add a lionfish...I don't know if I have an hour to cut out each spine tho. The corals are on their way, my printer ran out of ink and it may take while to get some new stuff.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Great idea! Think of all the $$$ your saving Not buying food and salt.
When your done.............I want one!!!

A shadow box would give a terrific depth of field, good luck!

OP
OP
reefcreator1

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in LOVE with rare and albino fish but can't find any EXTREMELY rare and exotic ones. I have an albino tang and trigger but can't find any others If anyone has any ideas they could help a lot (sorry if this is a little off topic)

OP
OP
reefcreator1

reefcreator1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Great idea! Think of all the $$$ your saving Not buying food and salt.
When your done.............I want one!!!

A shadow box would give a terrific depth of field, good luck!

After i'm done i'll post every step I did to make it so others can make it and save lots of $$$

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back