Paracleanse treatment, fishes stopped eating

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I finished my quarantine for copper and nitrofurazone (2 weeks at 2.5ppm copper power) as per BRSTV videos.
I am now at day 5 of Paracleanse (25mg/gallon of metronidazole and 7.5mg/gallon of Praziquantel) I want to preemptively remove Flukes from my fishes.
I've read on Humblefish that Prazi can be a appetite suppressant, but most forums I've read mentioned the fish started eating again after a couple of days.
My fishes (2 Ocellaris and 1 Foxface) have stopped eating for 4 days. I tried garlic deep on their pellets and mysis, with no luck.
Did anyone else experience that much appetite loss using this medication?
Should I transfer them out as soon as possible so they start eating again?
I appreciate your help.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Paracleanse pretty much useless and does not work as claimed on bottle
You want coppersafe at level 2.25 for a full 30 days monitored with a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand and monitor water quality

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel should also be administered as you suggested to combat flukes. Our protocol recommends liquid Praziquantel (e.g. praziPro) when available accompanied by aeration. Usually administered after the Copper treatment is completed. Administer a second dose at 8 days. A third dose 8 days later is not a bad idea if you can wait that long.

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracleanse pretty much useless and does not work as claimed on bottle
You want coppersafe at level 2.25 for a full 30 days monitored with a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand and monitor water quality
So copperpower does not treat fluke right? But coppersafe does?
So instead of doing 2 weeks of copperpower and 2 weeks of paracleanse, you suggest 4 weeks of coppersafe. This would be perfect.
But I read somewhere that coppersafe only kill fresh water flukes of the Gyrodactylus. But not the gill flukes from the trematode species.
I do a 100% water change every 3 days btw so I do not have to worry about water quality. Praziquantel being what kills gill flukes, and this being in Paracleanse, I’m wondering why it would not work?
Thank you for your response

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel should also be administered as you suggested to combat flukes. Our protocol recommends liquid Praziquantel (e.g. praziPro) when available accompanied by aeration. Usually administered after the Copper treatment is completed. Administer a second dose at 8 days. A third dose 8 days later is not a bad idea if you can wait that long.
I would love to get my hand on prazipro but living in Canada, this product is banned. And the only praziquantel I can find is this Fritz Paracleanse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So copperpower does not treat fluke right? But coppersafe does?
So instead of doing 2 weeks of copperpower and 2 weeks of paracleanse, you suggest 4 weeks of coppersafe. This would be perfect.
But I read somewhere that coppersafe only kill fresh water flukes of the Gyrodactylus. But not the gill flukes from the trematode species.
I do a 100% water change every 3 days btw so I do not have to worry about water quality. Praziquantel being what kills gill flukes, and this being in Paracleanse, I’m wondering why it would not work?
Thank you for your response
Coppersafe and copper power are the same
For flukes, USA Is prazi pro
You can acquire ruby rally pro for Canada

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I finished my quarantine for copper and nitrofurazone (2 weeks at 2.5ppm copper power) as per BRSTV videos.
I am now at day 5 of Paracleanse (25mg/gallon of metronidazole and 7.5mg/gallon of Praziquantel) I want to preemptively remove Flukes from my fishes.
I've read on Humblefish that Prazi can be a appetite suppressant, but most forums I've read mentioned the fish started eating again after a couple of days.
My fishes (2 Ocellaris and 1 Foxface) have stopped eating for 4 days. I tried garlic deep on their pellets and mysis, with no luck.
I appreciate your help.
Thank you
I have not used the medication - nor would it be likely to cause appetite issues. I would suggest - you just do a standard 30 day copper treatment - which is standard here - and followed by prazipro. Whether any one saw appetite decrease - probably is not helpful - since no one knows your exact dose

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I appreciate your help.
Thank you

Paracleanse is essentially a rip-off of General Cure, or that is a rip off of Paracleanse (depends on which hit the market first - grin). They are identical.

How many times have you dosed the Paracleanse in the five days? It should be one dose.

A full dose for prazi is 2.2 mg/l. That works out to be around 81 mg/gallon, so the Paracleanse dose is a bit lower than that.

Prazi is not really a strong appetite suppressant. If fish STOP eating, there is something else going on. Personally, I don't even really notice the slight drop in feeding response from prazi.

Trouble is, I can't tell you WHY you fish stopped eating. Can you post a video? I'm about to go off line for the night, but I'll see it in the morning.....

Jay

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracleanse is essentially a rip-off of General Cure, or that is a rip off of Paracleanse (depends on which hit the market first - grin). They are identical.

How many times have you dosed the Paracleanse in the five days? It should be one dose.

A full dose for prazi is 2.2 mg/l. That works out to be around 81 mg/gallon, so the Paracleanse dose is a bit lower than that.

Prazi is not really a strong appetite suppressant. If fish STOP eating, there is something else going on. Personally, I don't even really notice the slight drop in feeding response from prazi.

Trouble is, I can't tell you WHY you fish stopped eating. Can you post a video? I'm about to go off line for the night, but I'll see it in the morning.....

Jay
Hi,
So I did a 100% water change last night and did not put any new Paracleanse in the water, it is the same parameters as before, same RODI water with 1.26 of salt and 79F temperature. Same everything except the Paracleanse, and this morning I got one clown jumping on the Mysis like he used to and the Foxface eating for the first time in 5 days. Nibbling only but that’s a good start. The second clown is not eating yet.
But it seems to me that the Paracleanse was the culprit here. I put one packet as recommended in my 10 gallons QT tank…
Well after the comments saying that Paracleanse is useless, I will definitely not using that again. I will get my hand on ruby Rally.
Thank you for your advices

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I did a 100% water change last night and did not put any new Paracleanse in the water, it is the same parameters as before, same RODI water with 1.26 of salt and 79F temperature. Same everything except the Paracleanse, and this morning I got one clown jumping on the Mysis like he used to and the Foxface eating for the first time in 5 days. Nibbling only but that’s a good start. The second clown is not eating yet.
But it seems to me that the Paracleanse was the culprit here. I put one packet as recommended in my 10 gallons QT tank…
Well after the comments saying that Paracleanse is useless, I will definitely not using that again. I will get my hand on ruby Rally.
Thank you for your advices

Paracleanse is NOT useless, as I said, it is identical to General Cure, and we use/recommend that all of the time. These may not be the right product to use in this case, but they both work equally well for their intended uses. Rally Pro is not effective against flukes, these products are.

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracleanse is NOT useless, as I said, it is identical to General Cure, and we use/recommend that all of the time. These may not be the right product to use in this case, but they both work equally well for their intended uses. Rally Pro is not effective against flukes, these products are.
Ok great, then I will keep using it. I was talking about Vetteguy comment.
I will wait for my fishes to eat again, then do a last couple days treatment to kill the potential flukes that would have hatched in the last 2 days. And I should be ready to put them in my DT. (My first tank)
Thank you again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back