Parrot fish showing broken scales and signs of white growth underneath.

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Hello all. I have a 2 year old parrot fish that has recently started showing damaged scales and white lumps underneath it. No mew fish have been added in roughly 6 months and I have a UV sterilizer running full time since October 2022. This kind of came out of nowhere. I’m leaning towards lymphs?

I’ll add, no other fish are showing any signs of illness but I did have a triggerfish die unexpectedly last week. That fish showed zero signs of disease as well.
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2539.jpeg
IMG_2541.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish is quite thin and may be lacking meats and needed calcium
Additionally, looks like it’s developed some sort of skin reaction and should be treated with ruby rally pro

OP
OP
F

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
This fish is quite thin and may be lacking meats and needed calcium
Additionally, looks like it’s developed some sort of skin reaction and should be treated with ruby rally pro
Thank you. I’ve noticed he’s been thinning out some too as of lately.
I’ve started dosing more frozen foods with selcon. Going to watch him/her for a while and see how it goes.
Ruby Rally pro is reef safe, right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. I’ve noticed he’s been thinning out some too as of lately.
I’ve started dosing more frozen foods with selcon. Going to watch him/her for a while and see how it goes.
Ruby Rally pro is reef safe, right?
Rally safe yes and feed krill, LRS chunky frenzy, carnivore diet and even cut up scallops from meat counter

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a 2 year old parrot fish that has recently started showing damaged scales and white lumps underneath it. No mew fish have been added in roughly 6 months and I have a UV sterilizer running full time since October 2022. This kind of came out of nowhere. I’m leaning towards lymphs?

I’ll add, no other fish are showing any signs of illness but I did have a triggerfish die unexpectedly last week. That fish showed zero signs of disease as well.
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2539.jpeg
IMG_2541.jpeg

Can you post a video? I agree, the fish is a bit thin. It may have developed a chronic nutritional issue, or it might be mycobacterium. Parrotfish, as a group, tend to do o.k. in aquariums at first, but then finding one that has lived longer than two years in captivity is pretty rare. My record was about 6 years for a bicolor parrot.

Jay

OP
OP
F

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Rally safe yes and feed krill, LRS chunky frenzy, carnivore diet and even cut up scallops from meat counter
Been trying to feed krill but unless it’s very tiny pieces he shows no interest in it. He’s still eating but it has definitely slowed down the past few weeks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back