Peppermint shrimp turning green

RussK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon FOWLR. The fish are currently removed (QT) due to a potential velvet outbreak.

I have two peppermint shrimp in the tank, and just yesterday I saw what looked like the bigger one using its longer legs to pick at the area where the shorter legs are. Shortly after, it was putting all its short legs straight out and curling its body to the point where it was almost in half.

I was slightly concerned, but figured I'd just keep an eye on it.

Today I see that the area where its short legs are is turning green, like something is growing on it. It almost looks like algae. I don't really have an algae or phosphate issue. The glass may look a little dirty, because I haven't scraped it since there's snail eggs all over.

Is there anything I can do for the shrimp? What is this? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Pics of shrimp below...
20170727_223756.jpg 20170727_223813.jpg 20170727_224152.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shrimp has entered a state called "berried" - she's carrying eggs under her tail, among her swimmerets ("short legs"). In a couple of weeks they'll hatch, and the larvae will spend some time drifting about your tank, getting picked off by fish and corals as free, high-nutrition live food. I think they have been raised in an aquarium situation, but it's a pretty major challenge.

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

RussK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. The snails are laying eggs all over, too.

I don't currently have more pictures, but I probably can get some next feeding time.

I know it was suggested that they'll be free food, with that said, unless the parents eat them, the cleaner shrimp is the only other thing that will. So I'm imagining the bulk will end up in the filter. Should I have any concern for an ammonia spike, or will they be too small that the skimmer and bacteria will keep it clean?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shrimp has entered a state called "berried" - she's carrying eggs under her tail, among her swimmerets ("short legs"). In a couple of weeks they'll hatch, and the larvae will spend some time drifting about your tank, getting picked off by fish and corals as free, high-nutrition live food. I think they have been raised in an aquarium situation, but it's a pretty major challenge.

~Bruce
Yeah, my LPS are always fat and happy after they spawn.

Back