Petco aquarium stand only supports corner of tank

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corners are by far most important. Many shops have rimmed tanks on blocks on just the corners. But, you can add supports shims or similar. You can also do a yoga mat or similar. How much is the middle off? If 1/8th inch or less i wouldnt stress to much.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium stand I got from Petco only supports the four corners of my 55 gallon tank because it appears the tank was not properly manufactured. Is this okay, or should I place plastic shims underneath the sides of the tank?

Why do you say the tank is manufactured incorrectly?

Plastic braced tanks only need support on the corners and long edges. The bottom pane of glass is actually recessed up and will not make contact with the stand.

I would NOT shim the tank. When you do this, and then fill the tank with water, you're putting unneeded pressure on the front panel of glass and risking it separating from the bottom panel.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say the tank is manufactured incorrectly?

Plastic braced tanks only need support on the corners and long edges. The bottom pane of glass is actually recessed up and will not make contact with the stand.

I would NOT shim the tank. When you do this, and then fill the tank with water, you're putting unneeded pressure on the front panel of glass and risking it separating from the bottom panel.
The long edges of the front and back are not supported by the stand, only the four corners along with the left and right edges are. Is this okay?

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back