Phytoplankton & Copepod Questions

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I introduced four jars of AlgaeBarn 5280 Pods to my 125 gallon, and have been dosing 25ml of OceanMagik phytoplankton daily since. I honeslty don't even know if there are any copepods in the tank at this point. I keep looking and looking, and I just can't find a single one. I kept the filter sock out for 48 hours after introducing them as well. Any thoughts on this? Is there benefit to continue dosing OceanMagik? Any suggestion on buying copepods somewhere else? Are there copepods in there and I just can't see them?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are likely copepods in there. One thing I would do is feed phytoplankton when lights are out, and check at night for pods. Use a flashlight at an angle to your glass to look for them, especially near the sand bed I'll bet they're there.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture them and also add them regularly to my tank they get eaten by everything fish corals pumps. Replenishing the population helps to keep the numbers up and add new reproduction mates. The phytoplankton will work if there is enough for them to eat it but I think the phytoplankton has more benefits besides the copepods food. Some copepods are very small when they are delivered and are to small to notice when the water is moving. Adding a larger species can help with seeing if your population is growing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture them and also add them regularly to my tank they get eaten by everything fish corals pumps. Replenishing the population helps to keep the numbers up and add new reproduction mates. The phytoplankton will work if there is enough for them to eat it but I think the phytoplankton has more benefits besides the copepods food.
That's what I was wondering about phytoplanktin. I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like it'll take away nutrients that other nuisance algae feed on.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are likely copepods in there. One thing I would do is feed phytoplankton when lights are out, and check at night for pods. Use a flashlight at an angle to your glass to look for them, especially near the sand bed I'll bet they're there.
I've been dosing phytoplankton early in the morning right when the lights are starting to come on.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was wondering about phytoplanktin. I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like it'll take away nutrients that other nuisance algae feed on.

That's why I use it. I notice just better overall balance in my tank when I add it . I add it when I add copepods because they are in phytoplankton.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 123 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back