Pintail Wrasse bad scrape

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,
This morning I watched my pintail wrasse get spooked and while darting past a rock it scraped one of its fins really bad. I immediately saw scales just floating around in the tank. Now im noticing its left fin is badly injured and not moving. Im wondering if the injury would heal over time or if this might be a permanent thing. Also any advise on a treatment if needed is greatly appreciated.
thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,
This morning I watched my pintail wrasse get spooked and while darting past a rock it scraped one of its fins really bad. I immediately saw scales just floating around in the tank. Now im noticing its left fin is badly injured and not moving. Im wondering if the injury would heal over time or if this might be a permanent thing. Also any advise on a treatment if needed is greatly appreciated.
thank you

With injuries, there are two issues: severe injuries can be outright fatal themselves due to tissue damage and blood loss. If the fish is not soo severely injured, it can heal, However, the second issue can them show up: secondary bacterial infection of the damaged area. Signs of infection would include a wound that changes color, or grows larger over time. In those cases, you would need to medicate the fish in a treatment tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Try feeding the fish today - if it eats well, then it is most likely a superficial injury.

If you can post a video of the fish, we might be able to assess the condition for you.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With injuries, there are two issues: severe injuries can be outright fatal themselves due to tissue damage and blood loss. If the fish is not soo severely injured, it can heal, However, the secon
d issue can them show up: secondary bacterial infection of the damaged area. Signs of infection would include a wound that changes color, or grows larger over time. In those cases, you would need to medicate the fish in a treatment tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Try feeding the fish today - if it eats well, then it is most likely a superficial injury.

If you can post a video of the fish, we might be able to assess the condition for you.

Jay
Thank you Jay. Tough to capture the exact injury but hope this video helps. He did feed on mysis earlier.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you Jay. Tough to capture the exact injury but hope this video helps. He did feed on mysis earlier.
fish eating is a good sign. Injuries like this will take time to heal and I see its favoring its pectoral fin. This is one to keep an eye on. Dont see hemorrhaging but lets have Jay also assess and see if he has any further recommendations.
In the event of infection, it would not be bad to have on hand Seachem Neoplex or kanaplex in case

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish eating is a good sign. Injuries like this will take time to heal and I see its favoring its pectoral fin. This is one to keep an eye on. Dont see hemorrhaging but lets have Jay also assess and see if he has any further recommendations.
In the event of infection, it would not be bad to have on hand Seachem Neoplex or kanaplex in case
thank you @vetteguy53081, I'll order some neoplex or kanaplex. Im assuming these are not reef safe so i'd have to pull the fish and place in a qt system, correct?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thank you @vetteguy53081, I'll order some neoplex or kanaplex. Im assuming these are not reef safe so i'd have to pull the fish and place in a qt system, correct?
Correct
kanaplex will be most effective

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick update - the wrasse is using the injured fin, I think it was too sore after the injury. Not sure if this contributed in anyway but for what its worth, I soaked all the food in selcon and vitachem and fed several times. Amazed at how amazing their immune systems are, already healing. Appreciate your advise and @Jay Hemdal & @vetteguy53081, thank you both

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
quick update - the wrasse is using the injured fin, I think it was too sore after the injury. Not sure if this contributed in anyway but for what its worth, I soaked all the food in selcon and vitachem and fed several times. Amazed at how amazing their immune systems are, already healing. Appreciate your advise and @Jay Hemdal & @vetteguy53081, thank you both
Great to hear and it will improve daily

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back