0   0   0
I keep dragon pipefish in all my reef tanks they are awsome little critters

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would depend on if you have peaceful fish so it doesn't have to compete too much for food. and also no too much flow. I want to add one also and it seems that the Janss' pipefish is best suited for reefs.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i think they are ok but feeding them is usually an issue...you gotta make sure they will take prepared foods.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Do they have issues with certain corals like seahorses do?

Specifically acans?

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on coral, but I have read more than one thread about nems stinging them and killing them. The dragonface are poor swimmers and use their tail like seahorses do to hold on the rocks and what ever. The Janss' is a stronger swimmer.

**The different banded are also a good choice.

Last edited:

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonface pipefish is probably the best suited to a reef tank. They move along the reef similar to a snake, so they don't get blown around too easily. A great benefit of them is they eat red bugs.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of issues do acans present for seahorses? I would love to know.

Also would love to hear experiences of people who have pipe fish in their reef tanks, what kind of flow they have. Super cool critters. I have always stayed away becuase thought the flow was an issue.

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of issues do acans present for seahorses? I would love to know.

Also would love to hear experiences of people who have pipe fish in their reef tanks, what kind of flow they have. Super cool critters. I have always stayed away becuase thought the flow was an issue.

Acans are fine with Seahorses. I've not encountered any problems.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Do they have issues with certain corals like seahorses do?

Specifically acans?

They can... Some lps corals can be a issue and no anemones..

They also like slower flow and it is hard to keep them with other fish due to the fact they will not get any food.

Dave Polzin

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of blue-striped pipefish in my 20 gallon LPS/Zoa reef, and they hate it so much they're on their second spawning of babies :xd:

Only problem I've noted is they dislike the vortech that's on the tank, and prefer to hang out in the sheltered rock structures except when I turn the pumps off for feeding, or when the pump cycles to a lower power

As far as corals presenting dangers, I actually use the acans and maze coral as a feeding disk-put the food on the corals and it sticks there, the pipefish come over and snag whatever food off of it that they want while the corals eating. The chalices do a pretty good job of it too, but tend to eat the Reef Caviar instead of the Mysis that the pipefish prefer. If I ever toss in cyclopeze they do go nuts for it though. going to try and get some pictures put up of the pair.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue striped pipes can be kept sucessfully in a reef tank. Training them to eat frozen is a good idea before introducing them to your DT. Like seahorses, you need to cover up any powerheads that they could get trapped in. Aggressive fish should not be kept with them due to food competition. I would recommend a species specific tank for pipes, just like for seahorses. They are both in the same family and are prone to bacterial issues when placed under stress (just like any fish). I would also recommend keeping the temperature of your tank below 74 degrees to lessen the growth of any bacteria in the tank which could lead to illness in the pipes, just like you would for seahorses.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule on pipefish is, if you can keep mandarins thriving in your tank you can keep pipefish I have a pair of bluestripe, pair dragon face, and a pair of Janss pipefish they rarely come out for food and are always foraging on the live rock. I have a ton of flow my 125 has a total turn over of about 60 times and hour also have a lot Of other fish mine also frequently spawn give them a shot they're more intimidating that anything

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do best in pairs as far as survival rate. but yes i keep them and love them, there like mini snakes lol. As long as you dont have anything agressive like a sally light foot your fine.

ashton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pipefish does just fine in my 75 reef, i've got a ton of chalices, acans, micros and other lps and have never had any issue. My dragon face pipe fish is probably one of my favorite fish.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful orange banded pipefish in my reef and it got too close to my RBTA and ran into some issues with stinging and its ability to swim ... RIP :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back