Pipefish in a Reef?

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have some larger tangs and a Pink Tailed Trigger and some wrasses, think this would be a problem in a 300?

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kept a pair in our tank for over a year. Make sure you have lots of Pods becuase its rare to get them to eat prepared foods.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse will die in a reef for the most part. I though pipe fish couldn't deal with flow well like the seahorse?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse will die in a reef for the most part. I though pipe fish couldn't deal with flow well like the seahorse?

Err....that's not accurate really. While they don't like intensive flow, they do quite fine as long as there's some rock structure that breaks up the flow. Something like SunnyX's open reef might be a challenge where there's mostly open water, but the average reef is going to do just fine for them, providing they don't have aggressive tank mates and all those normal conditions (not reef compatability, fish compatibility in that case.)

While they don't like incredibly high flow, they can deal with it- whenever I feed cyclopeeze the female (Munch) doesn't care what speed the vortech's on, she comes right on out to munch on it.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will eat any prepared food I put in the tank including small pellets and it only took about a week before they took to mysis they are actually very agile in strong currents if you watch them they use their big tail fins like a rudder/sail to take advantage of the the current also someone mentioned lower tank temps my tank is 78-80deg I agree with everyone about the rock work as mine seem to enjoy the overhangs and caves they dart in and out all day long just cruising in and out of the rocks

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pipe fish in my tank and they are doing great. Ive had them for about four months now. Great fish to look at.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in South Florida, one of the LFS had a pair of banded pipes in their mixed "high-end" coral display tank. Several species of tangs, dottybacks, gramma, wrasses, etc. There was even a pair of Fusiliers in the tank. Unfortunately they stuck very close to the rockwork, but they were very fat and healthy (IMHO).

So it's definitely possible.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is more the luck of the draw. I remember Aquabucket (RC) added one and had no problems in his predominately LPS tank. he also mentioned he got lucky that it readily ate, unlike most of them.

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a SPS dominated 120 with 2 mp40s?too much flow?i read on DF&S that the dragonface will eat red bugs.that would be ideal for my tank.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two dragonface pipes in my 180 and they've done fine even with somewhat aggressive fish, several anemones, and a lot of flow.

carlosR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could post a photo of my banded pipefish but he/she is largely nocturnal now. I have lots of flow with 5 powerheads, hob skimmer and a canister filter all keeping the water moving. It doesn't seem to bother the pipefish at all. He comes out with the led lights and swims about hunting for pods or other wriggly things. He will readily eat freeze dried cyclopeze. We've had him for over a year, he is plump and very cool.

GoTakuF1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair in my reef for years. They lay eggs every so often. Very cool fish!

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys think I can put a pair in my upcoming 45g cube? I was planning on a trained mandarin, but I've always wanted a pair of pipefish. They're just so unique and cool looking.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to add a pair as well to my new cube.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often wondered about keeping them in a reef tank, looks like my next fish order might have to have a few in it!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of banded pipes from Vivid today! Will get some pics up for you guys later.
Hope they do well for you! My dragonfaces are still doing well and I've thought about adding a couple more pipes. I was actually looking at the banded pipes on DFS, but I'm reluctant because I don't want to wipe out my pod population.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back